Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on no battery badge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can definitely understand why they would want to get rid of the battery badges. They've gone through so many variations at this point, the 70 becoming the 75, which may not be an 85 in disguise, which used to be the top model but now it's the lower one, etc.

Another point, generally on a more traditional vehicle, the higher numbers denote more vehicle performance. With the recent hardware changes, there is virtually no difference between the 75D and 100D performance-wise. I could still see them (and think they should) offer P badges to denote the specific performance editions, but otherwise I don't think it really matters. Get the car for the range that meets your needs and the performance is the same no matter what - and in Tesla's case that performance is "FAST".

I think they should and hope they will continue with the current badging system. I want to believe this is an interim thing until low range Model 3 starts delivery. No need to badge until there's another Model 3 right. Anyone care to ask Elon on twitter?

No badges please. They are asymmetrical and ugly. (The centered Tesla T logo can stay, it is nice and symmetrical, but no logo would be better).

Badges add cost (installation labor and part cost) for an aesthetic penalty. They should get rid of them for the Model S and X as well.

Tesla may want the ability to add or subtract cells in the future without telling the buyer. They can be cautious early on with a new cell but later reduce the numbers of cells when experienced is gained with the new chemistry or construction.

I think kWh ratings are probably done for good. This will de-stress the battery engineers.
Good point.

Imagine the whining if 6 months from now, they produce cars with the same range, but 5 less khw.

I believe the tags will be the range.

Tesla is selling range now.... not batteries.

Two thoughts on this:

1. When the Model S Signature and early Production cars (like mine) were released, there were no badges either. I liked the idea of the badge and had my Service Center install them at a service visit about a year into ownership. Maybe Model 3 will follow suit...

2. If they badge the car based on Range, they're going to have to deal with a lot of issues when the battery begins to degrade. My S85 had 265 Rated Miles when it was brand new. Now after about 4.5 years, I see about 240. Walking past a "265" badge on my car right now would really bug me. (I suppose I don't have 85 kWh of capacity any more either, but that seems less obvious in day to day use).

I'm just going to point out that the metric system makes a whole lot more sense than the Imperial system. I'm used to miles myself, but the metric system is far easier to use. Off hand, I can't remember how many feet are in a mile. I know there are a 1000 meters in a kilometer.

Thing is rarely does anyone convert. How often is it important to know there are 5,280 feet in a mile? People just buy gas in liters, deli meats in grams and travel distances in kilometers. If I ask someone how many centiliters are in a hectoliter, their eyes will just glaze over.

Two thoughts on this:

1. When the Model S Signature and early Production cars (like mine) were released, there were no badges either. I liked the idea of the badge and had my Service Center install them at a service visit about a year into ownership. Maybe Model 3 will follow suit...

2. If they badge the car based on Range, they're going to have to deal with a lot of issues when the battery begins to degrade. My S85 had 265 Rated Miles when it was brand new. Now after about 4.5 years, I see about 240. Walking past a "265" badge on my car right now would really bug me. (I suppose I don't have 85 kWh of capacity any more either, but that seems less obvious in day to day use).

Thing is rarely does anyone convert. How often is it important to know there are 5,280 feet in a mile? People just buy gas in liters, deli meats in grams and travel distances in kilometers. If I ask someone how many centiliters are in a hectoliter, their eyes will just glaze over.

I'm all for current battery capacity badging. However the issue is you never had 85kWh capacity anyway. It has 77,5 when it was new. Now ever probably 7% loss you have 72kWh left. Exactly the same or maybe 500Wh less than a brand new 75. But I'm digressing. I really feel Tesla has cheated people with 85 and 90 packs. They could have easily called them 80 and 85. They didn't have any competition pushing them...

Two thoughts on this:

10% loss in 4.5 years? Lots of miles each year? I had heard to expect about 1% loss per year...

Two thoughts on this:

I don't believe they will have issues badging range at all. What kind of issues would they have over badging the power of the motor? I don't get that at all.

Maybe they should badge your car as "far". It will go far once you drive it.

I'm all for current battery capacity badging. However the issue is you never had 85kWh capacity anyway. It has 77,5 when it was new.

I assume you're referring to pack capacity vs. usable capacity, which in that case... sure.

I don't believe they will have issues badging range at all. What kind of issues would they have over badging the power of the motor? I don't get that at all.

Not sure what that means. My car just has an "85" on the back, which is the capacity of the battery in kWh notwithstanding the above caveat. Other cars have a "P" and "D" adders which just refer to Performance and Dual Motor. I don't think they've ever badged based on motor power. (FYI kWh = Energy vs. kW = Power)

10% loss in 4.5 years? Lots of miles each year? I had heard to expect about 1% loss per year...

right up front you lose the highest percentage and then it tapers off.

Indeed. I lost most of that range in the first 6-9 months, then it's been mostly flat since then. I have about 85,000 miles on the car.

Reactions: JeffK
Yeah but pack capacity was only 81,4. :(

Fine, sure... but I think that has already been beaten to death in other threads and misses the point of what I'm trying to say here.

Putting a badge on the car describing the battery capacity (whatever that may be) does not create a situation that is readily obvious as capacity degrades over time. Putting a badge that represents range (say, 265 miles as would have been the case with my S when new) would create a painfully obvious problem as people charge their cars over time and realize they are no longer getting the miles that the badge on the back of the car claims. I'm lucky to get 240 miles now on a 100% charge and a "265" badge on the back would just be throwing that in my face every time I walked by.

I don't know what you guys think, but:

Hold on to your hats.

There are 2 Model 3 versions so far. Standard and Extended Range.

Tesla has decided not to brand Model 3's with the battery badges. HOWEVER what if Tesla badged cars with the versions?

Why? Because Elon would have an opportunity to get his "E" back in the sexy word.

The Model 3 would be the car but E ( extended range ) would be the version.

I wouldn't mind having an E on the back of my car or in my case it would be DE for Dual Motor Extended range.....or maybe just a D because extended range would be assumed.

Time for Justin Timberlakes song......."I'm brining SEXY back".

I don't know what you guys think, but:

Hold on to your hats.

There are 2 Model 3 versions so far. Standard and Extended Range.

Tesla has decided not to brand Model 3's with the battery badges. HOWEVER what if Tesla badged cars with the versions?

Why? Because Elon would have an opportunity to get his "E" back in the sexy word.

The Model 3 would be the car but E ( extended range ) would be the version.

I wouldn't mind having an E on the back of my car or in my case it would be DE for Dual Motor Extended range.....or maybe just a D because extended range would be assumed.

Time for Justin Timberlakes song......."I'm brining SEXY back".
... I thought I read they are going to start taking capacity badging off of Model S/X too. I doubt they'd add anything. They want it to be clean and elegant.

The battery capacity no longer represents anything. Range, performance, charging speed and all those other inportant things can be effected by so many other variables that the capacity of the batterys give little information. Now mostly an ego thing.

I ordered a 70 for my X, but it was delivered as a 75. Just recently other software and hardware enhancements resulted in a significant increase in performance, however the 75 badge will be the same on all of them.

Tesla routinely sells vehicles with badges that do not represent the capacity of the battery pack, but only the number of cells that can be accessed by the software installed.

Badging often no longer represents accruately the performance parameters of the car.

The battery capacity no longer represents anything. Range, performance, charging speed and all those other inportant things can be effected by so many other variables that the capacity of the batterys give little information. Now mostly an ego thing.

I ordered a 70 for my X, but it was delivered as a 75. Just recently other software and hardware enhancements resulted in a significant increase in performance, however the 75 badge will be the same on all of them.

Tesla routinely sells vehicles with badges that do not represent the capacity of the battery pack, but only the number of cells that can be accessed by the software installed.

Badging often no longer represents accruately the performance parameters of the car.
Tesla only sells a 75 and 100 now....right?