Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on not setting up a Tesla account to keep free supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i purchased a pre owned 2016 85D. It currently has free supercharging. in a matter of 24 hours i spoke with 2 different people at Tesla, one said the free supercharging would stay with the car and the other person said when i register with tesla for my account that it would no longer have free supercharging.

My car has 48,300 miles on it so only a few miles left of the standard warranty. If i am not planning on purchasing an extended warranty is there any reason for me to set up an account with Tesla? The way i see it i can keep free supercharging if I do not set up a Tesla account. Any cons to doing this?

Attachments

• tesla.jpg
    tesla.jpg
    647.1 KB · Views: 134
@lmyamen do you have contact with the seller? They should be able to print the my Tesla page that shows the supercharger status for your car.

Also, if you don't have access to the online account and app... someone else does. They can track, remote unlock, remote start, turn on your heat or AC. Honk the horn... etc.

2016 should have free supercharging for the life of the car.

A Tesla isn’t a Tesla without account access via the app. Online is required - the app uses the same credentials .

I was under the same impression that it should have free supercharging for the life of the car but one person from Tesla told me they are doing away with that and once a new owner registers the vehicle with Tesla the free SC drops off.

There should be no question. All cars ordered before 1/15/17 had transferable free Supercharging. I think the only exceptions are cars that have salvage titles.

I was under the same impression that it should have free supercharging for the life of the car but one person from Tesla told me they are doing away with that and once a new owner registers the vehicle with Tesla the free SC drops off.

I just sold my 2016 Model S in February and free Supercharging transferred to the new owner, as expected.

@lmyamen do you have contact with the seller? They should be able to print the my Tesla page that shows the supercharger status for your car.

Also, if you don't have access to the online account and app... someone else does. They can track, remote unlock, remote start, turn on your heat or AC. Honk the horn... etc.

I purchased it through a non Tesla dealer, the vehicle is still registered through Tesla to the auction house who they purchased it from.

I can confirm as a buyer (everyone else here seems to be sellers) free supercharging does still transfer as of just last month. In addition, my (new to me) car does state if I were to sell again, it transfers.

Tesla customer support gave me no issues transferring ownership to my account/app. They actually did it in just a few days for me. I've heard horror stories of it taking weeks, or even longer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190403-111329_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190403-111329_Chrome.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP
Even if your car is 2017, I am not sure I would trade having app access for free supercharging! I guess if you supercharge every week or more frequently, it may be worth it. I supercharge only on trips but I use my Tesla app almost everyday.

Even if your car is 2017, I am not sure I would trade having app access for free supercharging! I guess if you supercharge every week or more frequently, it may be worth it. I supercharge only on trips but I use my Tesla app almost everyday.
Totally relate to that, i’m currently in a loaner due to Air Suspension issue and already miss not having app access, no pre-heating on demand so a cold bottom on these cold mornings :)

So i purchased a pre owned 2016 85D. It currently has free supercharging. in a matter of 24 hours i spoke with 2 different people at Tesla, one said the free supercharging would stay with the car and the other person said when i register with tesla for my account that it would no longer have free supercharging.

My car has 48,300 miles on it so only a few miles left of the standard warranty. If i am not planning on purchasing an extended warranty is there any reason for me to set up an account with Tesla? The way i see it i can keep free supercharging if I do not set up a Tesla account. Any cons to doing this?
For me app access would be more important. I have a 2016 MS with free supercharging; had a 2017 MS without; and now a 2021 MY without free supercharging . I drove both the 2017 and 2021 on 3000+ mile trips. Each cost about $310 for supercharging. If you are doing most of your charging at home it is still less expensive than supercharging. So $300+ for that trip is a lot for some; not so much for others. But I suppose it is another data point to consider how much free supercharging is worth. For me not so much because I now charge at home. The first 2 years of MS owner ship when I did 5 X 3000mile round trips was apparently worth about $1500 which was rolled into the price of my car. Enjoy the car. It's a good ride with or without the free supercharging. Think of the poor folks who have to rely on Electrify America.