Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on not setting up a Tesla account to keep free supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He has title and showed me all services so doesn’t feel like a scam. Really just wondering if you can use prior owners account (with their approval) while transferring title to maintain free SC.

There's no reason to use prior owner's account. Accounts are quick and easy to setup. Ownership that cannot be transferred is a major red flag. I wonder if it's a Salvage?

The reason not to transfer tesla accounts is that free supercharging would be maintained on the 2017 (see a few posts above)… If I were to give my grown kids my 2017 X with free super charging, but doesn’t transfer, I’d just give them app access, and all is good. Now, can you extrapolate that to a buying a car from a stranger? That’s between the two parties involved.. Mistrust is a tax on society as is greed and dishonesty, so it’s a complex decision

There's no reason to use prior owner's account. Accounts are quick and easy to setup. Ownership that cannot be transferred is a major red flag. I wonder if it's a Salvage?
Lol, you are fundamentally misunderstanding the proposition.

There is zero scam/salvage concern in this transaction (well, none beyond any other). The entire premise is about maintaining free supercharging in the eyes of Tesla, not legal ownership transfer/title.

Reactions: gaswalla
I was looking at a 2017 that won’t allow for SC to transfer. Seller suggested I can use his account and even change the password so he doesn’t have access to it. Any thoughts on that?

You can do that and get immediate access. That's what I did when I bought my car from a private party.
After getting access, you can update the profile to your name, address and email.

FYI, you will see the previous owner's purchase agreement.