Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on optiwat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LN’sY

Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2022
Sparks,NV
I can charge my MY at work for free -one of the perks of my job😊 However I also work from home, and use the 120v cord that came with the car. I’d like to hear from people who use or have used optiwatt to keep their electric bill down How simple is it to install and to use? Is it worth it?

I can charge my MY at work for free -one of the perks of my job😊 However I also work from home, and use the 120v cord that came with the car. I’d like to hear from people who use or have used optiwatt to keep their electric bill down How simple is it to install and to use? Is it worth it?
Just use scheduled charging and avoid third party crapola.

BTW, unless you really NEED to recharge at home, its FREE at work, just charge at work and totally ignore the cost of 120V charging at home, which is presumably very not-free.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
OptiWatt has been very useful for me. The ability to finely setup departure and charge time is way better than built-in Schedule Charging or Schedule Departure.

Upvote 0
OptiWatt has been very useful for me. The ability to finely setup departure and charge time is way better than built-in Schedule Charging or Schedule Departure.
Scheduled charging and scheduled departure work perfectly for me. When I first got the car almost 10 months ago it was a $hit show, but it was fixed in one of the software updates... have you tried using it lately?

Keith

Upvote 0
Scheduled charging and scheduled departure work perfectly for me. When I first got the car almost 10 months ago it was a $hit show, but it was fixed in one of the software updates... have you tried using it lately?

Keith
I don't believe you can use both scheduled charging and departure together? The days for schedule departure is too coarse grain for me. I want to have different schedule for different weekdays, and different weekends. Also it doesn't work with my TOU plan at all.

OptiWatt accommodates all of these so I don't feel the need to fiddle with Scheduled Charging/Departure.

Upvote 0
You can set scheduled departure for precondition and off peak charging, OR you can set scheduled start time for the charge. Nice thing about Tesla's system is that it is location specific. I can have departure precondition and charging at work (free charging) and just set the scheduled precondition at home since I am not charging at home.

Keith

Upvote 0