Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on Pickup Truck Beds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too remember something about Elon saying they were making it smaller, but after a cursory search can't seem to find an actual "Elon" source. All of the "sources" I found were essentially variations on "Elon said"

I too remember something about Elon saying they were making it smaller, but after a cursory search can't seem to find an actual "Elon" source. All of the "sources" I found were essentially variations on "Elon said"
It was during the Q2 earnings call.

“This is the first truck that we are aware that will have four doors, over a six-foot bed and would fit into a 20-foot garage,”

Since I started this thread 4 years ago, I have since purchased an F150 Lightning and have been driving it and using it for over a year. It has a conventional pickup bed. Pretty much as expected. Its only 5.5 feet long where my old Chevy had the medium 6' 8" bed. The difference is annoying more than one would think. For example, today I ran out of room in the bed hauling some trash from my small business. A pile of pallets in the bed left no room for a trash can. Had to put the trash can in the back seat area (which is a huge cargo-van sized volume in the F150).

I still curse the fact that the sides are so high on the F150 most every time I use it.

Last edited:
Since I started this thread 4 years ago, I have since purchased an F150 Lightning and have been driving it and using it for over a year. It has a conventional pickup bed. Pretty much as expected. Its only 5.5 feet long where my old Chevy had the medium 6' 8" bed. The difference is annoying more than one would think. For example, today I ran out of room in the bed hauling some trash from my small business. A pile of pallets in the bed left no room for a trash can. Had to put the trash can in the back seat area (which is a huge cargo-van sized volume in the F150).

I still curse the fact that the sides are so high on the F150 most every time I use it.
So you definitely won't like the CT bed?

So you definitely won't like the CT bed?
Would have to look at one in detail again, but making it 6 inches shorter is not not helpful at all.
With payload now reduced to being essentially the same as my Lightning, and eventually when Fords can fast-charge at Tesla stations, there is not going to be much reason for me to want the Tesla. Even the short 240 mile range of my "SR" Lightning is not a big deal since 99.9% of my driving is within 20 miles of my house.

Next new truck for me will likely be when somebody starts selling 3/4 ton class electric work trucks with higher payloads and longer beds..

Would have to look at one in detail again, but making it 6 inches shorter is not not helpful at all.
With payload now reduced to being essentially the same as my Lightning, and eventually when Fords can fast-charge at Tesla stations, there is not going to be much reason for me to want the Tesla. Even the short 240 mile range of my "SR" Lightning is not a big deal since 99.9% of my driving is within 20 miles of my house.

Next new truck for me will likely be when somebody starts selling 3/4 ton class electric work trucks with higher payloads and longer beds..
I was more referring to reaching over the sides being more difficult on the CT.