Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #21 is available now. We covered the recent wide release of FSD Beta and shared our experiences. We also discussed the best times to charge and Tesla's official CCS adapter. You can watch it on YouTube.

Thoughts on Pickup Truck Beds

You are thinking of the wheel well intrusions the wrong way. In the Cybertruck, the entire bed appears to be as narrower than the wheels. So you are losing space. Probably around 50 to 55 inches wide. Easy enough to confirm with the math. If the entire truck is 79 inches wide, and each wheel/tire takes up about 12 inches, that leaves you with about 55 inches between the wheels.

In regards to carrying 12' lumber in a 6.5' bed, just toss it in hanging over the tailgate with the tailgate up. Throw a strap over it so it doesn't slide around side to side and add a red flag on the end if you want to be technically legal.
That is not legal in my state. If it overhangs by 18" or more you are getting a ticket.

Additional for washington state: (7) Fenders: All wheels of a motor vehicle must be equipped with fenders designed to cover the entire tire tread width that comes in contact with the road surface.

View attachment 481870 View attachment 481871

Tesla would have to put a ridiculously wide flare over an already wide truck. and does a flare count as a fender?? I dunno. I think those wheels are moving in
The wifey is definitely not going to be able maneuver my CT then. 😛😆 Haha

While I like having a topper as an option, I do NOT see a topper on very many trucks in total around the country. And seeing that there are currently 1.2 million reservations, I’m sure all of the popular topper and outdoor brands (you know who they are) will jump on the CT buyers on any niches that are created by the generalized and not perfect for every buyer design.
Of course, if you don’t see an option. . Design one and become a solution to that market of buyer. 🤓

Of course, one option is to constantly ask Elon on Twitter. Seems to work every other time. 😛😎

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC