Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

thoughts on Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus Elect for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would try to match since it's within the 30 day return, but they have refunded me ~$300 for a reverse mount snafu + free certs+ OEM Michelin tread warranty `$550=~ $313 OTD Smokin deal!

On the bad news side they put the car on a lift even though I told the manager and installer when he was driving to put on jack. Manager claimed they've worked on "hundreds" of Teslas w/o issue this way. I guess battery damage would show up right away right? Does it hurt anything else?

Wish they didn't have so many kids working in this location, they tend to get goofy. I will go to another for rotations going fwd and watch them do it
No issue with the lifts. All the Americas tires (at least the few I’ve visited) have outfitted the lifts with rubber fittings so it’s similar to using the hockey pucks on the jack points anyway, which makes sense given Tesla’s popularity.

Anyway I just got these tires yesterday. With the $75 instant rebate happening right now, comes out to cheaper than the MXM4s and they feel much better than the Pilot AS3+ I replaced, although wear has a lot to do with that. Noticeably quieter in the cabin. Can’t beat the 50k warranty. I’m happy with the purchase, even though I spent a couple hundred more than my last set.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Completely normal and expected for brand new tires to be greasy with little grip. Need to wear off that new tire grease before evaluating grip or traction!

what's funny is that I felt more regen/grip initially, but it's hard to quantify that.

Also wondering if I should over inflate to say 50PSI for more range and trade comfort/traction?

No issue with the lifts. All the Americas tires (at least the few I’ve visited) have outfitted the lifts with rubber fittings so it’s similar to using the hockey pucks on the jack points anyway, which makes sense given Tesla’s popularity.

Anyway I just got these tires yesterday. With the $75 instant rebate happening right now, comes out to cheaper than the MXM4s and they feel much better than the Pilot AS3+ I replaced, although wear has a lot to do with that. Noticeably quieter in the cabin. Can’t beat the 50k warranty. I’m happy with the purchase, even though I spent a couple hundred more than my last set.

Yeah no issues with battery. I might even rotate these more often given the lift info above. I worry about "manual" procedures.

i was able to get tread warranty even though I never rotated OEMs 28k miles, but not sure if Pirelli is stricter than Michelin?

what's funny is that I felt more regen/grip initially, but it's hard to quantify that.

Also wondering if I should over inflate to say 50PSI for more range and trade comfort/traction?
@vickh 50 PSI cold? That seems really high. Definitely bad for grip, and I would guess - just a guess - that's getting into the territory of uneven tire wear and therefore wearing out your tires quicker than necessary. Are you doing driving where eeking out that extra bit of range would actually save you Supercharger/DCFC charging stops?

To me 50 PSI seems like a poor tradeoff but whether you should try it is really up to you! Just trying it for a day or two should be fine of course, can always let that extra air back out. :)

• Informative
Reactions: vickh

50 PSI (cold) is the max the tire is rated for ... and ~20% higher than the sticker in the door frame. I would advise against that.... overinflated tires do not necessarily mean better efficiency but increase wear and minimize traction surface.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh and tm1v2
Yeah no issues with battery. I might even rotate these more often given the lift info above. I worry about "manual" procedures.

i was able to get tread warranty even though I never rotated OEMs 28k miles, but not sure if Pirelli is stricter than Michelin?
unless you have uneven tire wear ... the tread warrant should be honored. obviously 2mm in the rear and 4mm in the front would be a cause for decline.

• Informative
50 PSI (cold) is the max the tire is rated for ... and ~20% higher than the sticker in the door frame. I would advise against that.... overinflated tires do not necessarily mean better efficiency but increase wear and minimize traction surface.

good to know. My door jam in 45 and I was following an old hypermiling rule of +5PSI. Didn't know that was the max rating though. Will keep it at 45.

@vickh 50 PSI cold? That seems really high. Definitely bad for grip, and I would guess - just a guess - that's getting into the territory of uneven tire wear and therefore wearing out your tires quicker than necessary. Are you doing driving where eeking out that extra bit of range would actually save youc/DCFC charging stops?

To me 50 PSI seems like a poor tradeoff but whether you should try it is really up to you! Just trying it for a day or two should be fine of course, can always let that extra air back out. :)

I planned to do this for "over inflation" for trips mainly. If it allowed less stops. (only negative of SR) and why i bought these for more range.

@vickh Keep in mind Tesla's 45 psi cold number is already overinflation that sacrifices handling and ride in the name maximum possible fuel economy. In other words, it's already the +5 psi you speak of. ;)

If your tire says 50 psi max I would suggest staying below that for your cold pressure.
yup. i think they lowered that psi on the door sticker down to 42 psi. at least that is what my July 2019 M3 AWD says. I tried the 45 psi once and the ride was noticeably harsher than at 41/42 psi. plus here in texas if you are at 42 psi coming from the garage in the morning you are at 45 psi a few minutes later outdoors in the heat anyway. side note: the Pirelli P Zeros took a lot of "harshness" out of the ride compared to the Michelin MXM4s.

Reactions: vickh and tm1v2
@vickh How did you claim the Michelin tread warranty? My OEM MXM4's did not last 45K miles (they are barely legal right now and tread bars are showing so right at 2/32) - I thought the Michelin treadwear warranty did not apply to OEM tires? Thanks - I just ordered these through Discount Tire in Redmond, WA to replace my OEM Michelins.

@vickh How did you claim the Michelin tread warranty? My OEM MXM4's did not last 45K miles (they are barely legal right now and tread bars are showing so right at 2/32) - I thought the Michelin treadwear warranty did not apply to OEM tires? Thanks - I just ordered these through Discount Tire in Redmond, WA to replace my OEM Michelins.

A DT employee pushed it thru for me. YMMV.... literally

Anyone compare these to AS Plus 3s? Because this tire seems more like a P Zero except specialized for EVs (UHP) whereas AS Plus 3 is more of a touring tire (70k mile warranty). I know previously AS Plus 3s got really high ratings and are basically the top tire against CrossClimate 2s. I feel like these may be more performance oriented which is fine, but I think done are my days of getting the best tires at the cost of lowered tread life.

Anyone compare these to AS Plus 3s? Because this tire seems more like a P Zero except specialized for EVs (UHP) whereas AS Plus 3 is more of a touring tire (70k mile warranty). I know previously AS Plus 3s got really high ratings and are basically the top tire against CrossClimate 2s. I feel like these may be more performance oriented which is fine, but I think done are my days of getting the best tires at the cost of lowered tread life.
CrossClimate2 is a great tire but it will be noisier and folks have reported here that the mileage/efficiency hit is north of (10%). Probably not a big deal for daily driving but on long road-trips it could get tiresome. The P Zero Elect AS Plus have a 50k mileage warranty... so if the tires are "shot" after just 30k or so miles ... you get a pro-rated discount.

yep. According to DT Pirelli and Michelin are best at honoring warranty since they take their word for it. Here in AZ dry rot is a problem too.

Love the handling, but I've noticed I've had to top off air more recently compared to Michelin OEMs

Reactions: texas_star_TM3