Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts On "Pseudo-Badging"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Manufacturers might bling up their cars for profit, but none of them badge a car differently than it's actual configuration.

I don't care how much people want to bling up their cars, but rebadging? That's like cheating at solitaire. What's the freaking point?

Probably the same reason most people buy supercars/sportscars. If they really intended to track them, then why are so many sold as convertibles and with a lot of luxury options?

Most people buy them for fashion and to impress others. Cubic Zirconia still sells OK last I heard, and a fake Rolex keeps accurate time.

• Funny
Reactions: Plug Life
I'm with the "whatever makes you happy" camp.

Debadgeing is fine, up-badgeing is only ok if your an insecure high school kid

Are there any of us who weren't insecure in high school? I don't get putting yourself into the cool kid in high school role for which up-badging is so much beneath them. It always seemed to me the cool kids were the most insecure and the ones who could do whatever they pleased, without worrying about ridicule, were the secure ones, or at least as secure as possible with cliques, bullies, and all the other stuff a teenager has to deal with in high school.

Are there any of us who weren't insecure in high school? I don't get putting yourself into the cool kid in high school role for which up-badging is so much beneath them. It always seemed to me the cool kids were the most insecure and the ones who could do whatever they pleased, without worrying about ridicule, were the secure ones, or at least as secure as possible with cliques, bullies, and all the other stuff a teenager has to deal with in high school.

The middle school ‘cool kids’ are not alright

Research supports your "cool kids" hypothesis.

I did not say anything about cool kids, all high schoolers are insecure....because they are children. Might as well fish some expensive empty bottles of liquor out of the trash and fill them with the cheap stuff while your at it. Strange priorities but whatever makes you happy I guess.

I think rebadging a Tesla would make trips to the service center rather embarrassing. Any Tesla is already expensive and fast... it would reveal serious feelings of inadequacy.

But then again, if it makes one happy, and helps one deal with one's feelings of insecurity, then by all means one should do it. Seems kind of sad, though.

If anything, I would de-badge my car.

I did not say anything about cool kids, all high schoolers are insecure....because they are children.

I'd say it's because they are human.

Might as well fish some expensive empty bottles of liquor out of the trash and fill them with the cheap stuff while your at it.

Is there anyone who has grown up without much who has not seen this? It's much more common than rebadging your Tesla. I was told by a relative that it makes the liquor taste better. It's a variation of the placebo effect, I guess. Don't knock it until you try it. ;)

I think rebadging a Tesla would make trips to the service center rather embarrassing. Any Tesla is already expensive and fast... it would reveal serious feelings of inadequacy.

I would certainly be embarrassed like you. In fact, before I bought my Tesla l looked at expensive, flashy vehicles as embarrassing and showing feelings of inadequacy even without the rebadging. It does make you wonder about the kind of person that could have a 60, rebadge it a P100D, and not give a damn when he takes it to the service center, or when supercharging. I'd be embarrassed as hell but I kind of envy the fact that he couldn't care less. Maybe that's a virtue rather than a serious inadequacy? I think the answer depends on the particular person.

But then again, if it makes one happy, and helps one deal with one's feelings of insecurity, then by all means one should do it. Seems kind of sad, though.

Looking at it as sad might be like looking at the glass as half empty rather than half full. I'd like to get the know the person first, if I met him at a supercharger, with his 60 badged out to a P100D, and then decide. The people I know who I could see doing this are much more interesting than the ones who would not (like me).

Reactions: mblakele
Re badging or de badging are the same thing IMO.

There are way to many uptight people in this forum!!!!!!

BTW I had my calipers painted...is this just vain or maybe they didn't offer red when I got my car.
just semantics on my part but painting your brake calipers is way different from misrepresenting the vehicle's capabilities by changing it's badges to something the car isn't.

Re badging or de badging are the same thing IMO.

There are way to many uptight people in this forum!!!!!!

BTW I had my calipers painted...is this just vain or maybe they didn't offer red when I got my car.

I'm with Kort. Debadging, customizing paint, or even applying a badge that's unique and completely different from the manufacturer's badging for the car are just expressing your character.

Applying the badge of a version of the car you didn't buy is trying to deceive people into believing you bought something you didn't - a horse of another color entirely.

Reactions: HabitualUser
The only badging I'd consider doing is to add a "+" to my P85D badge since I have the Performance Plus suspension from the P85+.

I think this is something Tesla should have done originally. Much like the Ludicrous underline on P90D and P100D.

If/when Tesla allows/offers battery upgrades, I'd jump on that, and get the P100D+ badging.

The only badging I'd consider doing is to add a "+" to my P85D badge since I have the Performance Plus suspension from the P85+.

I think this is something Tesla should have done originally. Much like the Ludicrous underline on P90D and P100D.

If/when Tesla allows/offers battery upgrades, I'd jump on that, and get the P100D+ badging.

why not add the flux capacitor badge!

I'd say it's because they are human.

Is there anyone who has grown up without much who has not seen this? It's much more common than rebadging your Tesla. I was told by a relative that it makes the liquor taste better. It's a variation of the placebo effect, I guess. Don't knock it until you try it. ;)

I would certainly be embarrassed like you. In fact, before I bought my Tesla l looked at expensive, flashy vehicles as embarrassing and showing feelings of inadequacy even without the rebadging. It does make you wonder about the kind of person that could have a 60, rebadge it a P100D, and not give a damn when he takes it to the service center, or when supercharging. I'd be embarrassed as hell but I kind of envy the fact that he couldn't care less. Maybe that's a virtue rather than a serious inadequacy? I think the answer depends on the particular person.

Looking at it as sad might be like looking at the glass as half empty rather than half full. I'd like to get the know the person first, if I met him at a supercharger, with his 60 badged out to a P100D, and then decide. The people I know who I could see doing this are much more interesting than the ones who would not (like me).
Well, from what I know, the people who would badge their car as a higher version, if you approached them for a conversation would make stuff up about what is under the hood and also its performance figures. Nothing interesting at all, just being a poser. The video I remember the most is someone with a Mustang "GTR" (using the Nissan Skyline GTR badge). When approached he said he had a "turbo rotary" engine.

Badge.jpg
I've had this on my (non-Tesla) car for 16 years.
At first it was in protest because I wasn't thrilled with a white car.
Credit for inspiration, goes to neighbor way back in the day that put a FRIGIDAIRE emblem on a boxy white Impala station wagon. :D
I looked and looked but settled for Westinghouse, which also has grown on me like the white.
With all other identifying markings removed, it has started a few conversations.

Well, from what I know, the people who would badge their car as a higher version, if you approached them for a conversation would make stuff up about what is under the hood and also its performance figures. Nothing interesting at all, just being a poser.

But I bet some would say "I badged my 60 to a P100D just to get a rise from P100D owners who are bothered by a 60 looking practically the same as a P100D at far less than half the price." Stuff like that makes me chuckle and wonder who really is the insecure one?

It's like the old joke: What's the difference between a porcupine and a Lamborghini? The pricks are on the outside of a porcupine.

• Disagree
Reactions: RAM_Eh and kort677