Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 9th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Balazs Biro, of the prominent Hungarian EV channel Villanyautósok, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Thoughts on range increase % using vent seats

CmdrThor

Jul 24, 2013
Marietta, GA
If you didn't run the HVAC at all it would be a similar range increase as not running the HVAC. If you look at the range calculator on the Model S page, at 70 degrees F, turning the A/C off gives you an extra 18 miles of range. I am not convinced the ventilated seats will provide enough comfort to completely turn off the A/C though. Maybe if you are pushing it to get to your destination you could set the temperature higher on the HVAC and turn on the ventilated seats, but I would only do so if I were driving by myself.

In case anyone isn't aware, the ventilated front seats in the Premium Upgrades Package are only the seat bottom, not the seat back. I called Tesla four times and used the chat once, and in each case was told it's only the seat bottom. So unless anyone else has heard differently, that's seems to be the definitive answer. In my opinion, that's a real shame, since my legs and butt don't get hot, but my back always does. Oh, well...

In case anyone isn't aware, the ventilated front seats in the Premium Upgrades Package are only the seat bottom, not the seat back. I called Tesla four times and used the chat once, and in each case was told it's only the seat bottom. So unless anyone else has heard differently, that's seems to be the definitive answer. In my opinion, that's a real shame, since my legs and butt don't get hot, but my back always does. Oh, well...
I've only ever used a ventilated seat a couple times in a friends Q7 and I don't recall if it was anything more than just the bottom.

Are there ones out there where the ventilation is more than this?

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
Living in Los Angeles, I can't imagine, ... actually I know for sure that ventilated seats won't be able to replace the AC. At over 100 F and sun burning into your car, airflow (no matter where or how strong) alone isn't going to cut it. I always run the AC in the summer here and found it to be very efficient.

You've got it backwards - the A/C isn't able to replace the ventilated seats. You can crank the A/C down to 60 in any car, but then everyone is freezing while your back can still be sweating due to having a 98.6-degree person insulated up against a non-cooled seatback. The ideal set-up is A/C with some moderate ventilation in the seats.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC