TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Thoughts on range increase % using vent seats

Discussion in 'Model X' started by boofagle, Dec 8, 2015.

1. boofagle

boofagle Member

Curious to know if you think you'd see any noticeable range increase going with the premium package with the ventilated seats vs running the HVAC system. I'm sure there would be some but I don't know if it'd be measurable. Thoughts?

2. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

If you didn't run the HVAC at all it would be a similar range increase as not running the HVAC. If you look at the range calculator on the Model S page, at 70 degrees F, turning the A/C off gives you an extra 18 miles of range. I am not convinced the ventilated seats will provide enough comfort to completely turn off the A/C though. Maybe if you are pushing it to get to your destination you could set the temperature higher on the HVAC and turn on the ventilated seats, but I would only do so if I were driving by myself.

3. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Bjorn did a test and turning of the compressor (AC) but still running fans does save energy, not a lot but measurable. 18 miles on a 100-0 charge sounds ballpark correct.

I'm really looking forward to ventilated seats on the X btw!

4. Blastphemy

Blastphemy Member

In case anyone isn't aware, the ventilated front seats in the Premium Upgrades Package are only the seat bottom, not the seat back. I called Tesla four times and used the chat once, and in each case was told it's only the seat bottom. So unless anyone else has heard differently, that's seems to be the definitive answer. In my opinion, that's a real shame, since my legs and butt don't get hot, but my back always does. Oh, well...

5. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

I've only ever used a ventilated seat a couple times in a friends Q7 and I don't recall if it was anything more than just the bottom.

Are there ones out there where the ventilation is more than this?

6. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Yes. Most of the ones I've seen are bottom and back. The current set in the Ford Explorer certainly are.

7. muleferg

muleferg Member

I have a 2015 F150 Ford and its only seat.

8. David99

David99 Active Member

Living in Los Angeles, I can't imagine, ... actually I know for sure that ventilated seats won't be able to replace the AC. At over 100 F and sun burning into your car, airflow (no matter where or how strong) alone isn't going to cut it. I always run the AC in the summer here and found it to be very efficient.

9. Blastphemy

Blastphemy Member

You've got it backwards - the A/C isn't able to replace the ventilated seats. You can crank the A/C down to 60 in any car, but then everyone is freezing while your back can still be sweating due to having a 98.6-degree person insulated up against a non-cooled seatback. The ideal set-up is A/C with some moderate ventilation in the seats.