Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on recent supercharger policy update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The recent changes to the supercharger policy really confused me. What is tesla doing??

Background: I recently purchased a model x because I don't want to wait for the 3 for another year and there's the new free for life supercharging benefit.

Rationally speaking, it is not a big deal since testa's network charges at a reasonable rate. It's about $2k difference if you use it frequently for 5 years. However, I do appreciate the convenience of not needing to check my credit bill.

There are two types of potential model S/X buyers: Those who have million dollars cash at hand and can afford a tesla at ease. Second is who can afford a tesla but with financial stress. For the first type, they don't care about price and free supercharger benefit. I'm in the second group, the free supercharging benefit with other factors can make a difference. Now they added a deadline to this deal: if you want to have another tesla with free SC, you have to do it before the end of this year. WTH? How many people are going to buy more than one tesla in a year? The deal was supposed to retain customers, now it's worthless. When current owners need to upgrade there cars, (say, 5 years later) there will be tons of good options. Don't they want to have something to retain these customers?

Personally, I was planning to get another model S/X in the future simply because of the perk. Now the benefit is gone. I may consider a model Y or other options available.

One last thing, when they first roll out the new free supercharging program, they didn't specify a deadline. Can they just simply add a deadline like this? Is that even legal?

The following is pure speculation on my part.
What is tesla doing??
I think they're trying to find a sweet spot between giving people easy, nearly free (400kWh annually before costing) supercharging on trips and also encouraging "local" people to charge at home (EXCEPT those who cannot charge at home for various appropriate reasons).

It's about $2k difference if you use it frequently for 5 years.

The Infiniti M35 we got rid of in 2013 to get the S was costing us something over $2k annually just for gas, and we didn't drive it that much... so that's an $8k savings right there. We put way more miles on the S because it's so much more fun. And free supercharging! Did I mention that? :)

One last thing, when they first roll out the new free supercharging program, they didn't specify a deadline. Can they just simply add a deadline like this? Is that even legal?
Yes they can add a deadline, as long as they notify new customers before those customers purchase the vehicle. Yes it's legal in my layperson's understanding. There will be those who argue about website wording to the point it's like counting angels on the head of a pin, but sometimes that's entertaining.

They are using the superchargers as demand levers. I think your view of the two types of model S/X customers is pretty narrow and I do not think you can easily categorize buyers into two groups.

If you don't like the current or future deal, wait until something better comes along.
Yeah, the lever explanation makes sense. I think it will be less effective once 3 comes out or there's more options on the market.
Broadly speaking, two types. You don't expect me to write a post and list all groups of potential tesla buyers, do ya?

The following is pure speculation on my part.

I think they're trying to find a sweet spot between giving people easy, nearly free (400kWh annually before costing) supercharging on trips and also encouraging "local" people to charge at home (EXCEPT those who cannot charge at home for various appropriate reasons).

The Infiniti M35 we got rid of in 2013 to get the S was costing us something over $2k annually just for gas, and we didn't drive it that much... so that's an $8k savings right there. We put way more miles on the S because it's so much more fun. And free supercharging! Did I mention that? :)

Yes they can add a deadline, as long as they notify new customers before those customers purchase the vehicle. Yes it's legal in my layperson's understanding. There will be those who argue about website wording to the point it's like counting angels on the head of a pin, but sometimes that's entertaining.
They can definitely do that to new customers. I was wondering if they can do that to existing customers? I'm sure there's some people bought the S/X this year because, if not solely, this deal.

They can definitely do that to new customers. I was wondering if they can do that to existing customers? I'm sure there's some people bought the S/X this year because, if not solely, this deal.

I definitely pulled the trigger on my Model S because of the free supercharger otherwise, I'd still be waiting to sell my house and move into another BEFORE making the buy.

Yeah, the lever explanation makes sense. I think it will be less effective once 3 comes out or there's more options on the market.
Broadly speaking, two types. You don't expect me to write a post and list all groups of potential tesla buyers, do ya?
As the number of superchargers continues to expand -- I'd expect the perceived benefit to be even higher. I also would not be surprised for it to be extended as vandacca stated (or reused again).

I was trying demonstrate there are many other groups of buyers, I think we both agree on that.

As the number of superchargers continues to expand -- I'd expect the perceived benefit to be even higher. I also would not be surprised for it to be extended as vandacca stated (or reused again).

I was trying demonstrate there are many other groups of buyers, I think we both agree on that.
Definitely agree.
Honestly, I decided to get a Tesla this year because the news of doubling down the number of supercharger and the free for life supercharging. I thought it would be super nice if for every future model S/X I get, I get free supercharging. Now it's gone because of the updated policy. So sad..

It's a good job that I get free Supercharging..I took delivery of my X two weeks ago. It had 40 miles of charge and no home charger available due to supply problems.. I just about made it to a supercharger (well 26 miles away) since when the X is stuck in my garage waiting for the home charger to be available.

It's a good job that I get free Supercharging..I took delivery of my X two weeks ago. It had 40 miles of charge and no home charger available due to supply problems.. I just about made it to a supercharger (well 26 miles away) since when the X is stuck in my garage waiting for the home charger to be available.

The charger is in the car. All you need is an outlet to plug in to. I'd be very surprised if you could not find a $10 outlet at your local hardware store. If you are not installing it yourself, that would have to be scheduled.

With the faster charging in the works, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they call it something like hyper charging and EVERY owner is charged for that. Regular supercharging is free for those with it and those without also pay.

Financially, it might make sense. Also if they open up their network to other manufactures, even more cash flow. You gotta think long term.

Agreements change all the time, so yes it's legal. When it says subject to change it's subject to change.

your two categories of buyers is not very accurate...

How many people are going to buy more than one tesla in a year? The deal was supposed to retain customers, now it's worthless. When current owners need to upgrade there cars, (say, 5 years later) there will be tons of good options. Don't they want to have something to retain these customers?
This is not aimed at those who just brought a Tesla. It's for those who brought in maybe 2013 and are now considering an upgrade. Tesla cares about making sales in the next months, they aren't thinking about your upgrade options in 5 years.

When Tesla first added the clause about current Tesla owners getting free Supercharging on a new Model S or X, I interpreted it as a one time deal. Maybe I just have poor reading comprehension. I do think it's crappy that it expires the end of this year. It would be nice if the people who have the unlimited supercharging for the life of the car (purchased before Jan 2017) would be able to give that up when selling the car and instead have free unlimited supercharging on the new car (for as long as they own it/non-transferrable). Who knows, Tesla is CONSTANTLY changing things so you never really know what they'll offer in a few years let alone a few months. haha.