Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on roadster deposit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I enjoy some sports cars and have a few. After enjoying some electric miles in the wife’s family sedan (2020 S) it’s drawn me to think for my next purchase I’d consider the roadster versus my more traditional trip to the Porsche dealer for a GT car. Is it worth putting the deposit down now or waiting for more news or even the release? I know it could be here a year from now but it seems a fair number of you don’t think EOY 2020 will be the actual date. Given the current environment regarding this car is better to just wait or just plunk down the 50k and see what happens? I would buy this instead of getting the 992 GT3 which would end my set at a 996, 997.2, 991.2 cars.

I enjoy some sports cars and have a few. After enjoying some electric miles in the wife’s family sedan (2020 S) it’s drawn me to think for my next purchase I’d consider the roadster versus my more traditional trip to the Porsche dealer for a GT car. Is it worth putting the deposit down now or waiting for more news or even the release? I know it could be here a year from now but it seems a fair number of you don’t think EOY 2020 will be the actual date. Given the current environment regarding this car is better to just wait or just plunk down the 50k and see what happens? I would buy this instead of getting the 992 GT3 which would end my set at a 996, 997.2, 991.2 cars.

50K is a good chunk of money, even for those that can afford the Roadster. That 50K can buy you about 116 shares of TSLA (based on last Friday's closing price). Elon said that they plan to cap production to 10,000 units per year. If I knew demand for a $200-250k car was high and I wanted to be guaranteed a vehicle for that first model year, I'd probably put the 50K down. But I'm going to take a wait and see approach until I have a better sense of the ride and build quality. I hope it has the ride quality of a good GT where I can drive it for hours without aching bones but still have a fun, sporty ride. I wouldn't regret waiting an additional year and putting a reservation on a 2022 model, assuming it releases in 2021. My Model 3 stealth performance can tide me over.

Reactions: kayleia
50K is a good chunk of money, even for those that can afford the Roadster. That 50K can buy you about 116 shares of TSLA (based on last Friday's closing price). Elon said that they plan to cap production to 10,000 units per year. If I knew demand for a $200-250k car was high and I wanted to be guaranteed a vehicle for that first model year, I'd probably put the 50K down. But I'm going to take a wait and see approach until I have a better sense of the ride and build quality. I hope it has the ride quality of a good GT where I can drive it for hours without aching bones but still have a fun, sporty ride. I wouldn't regret waiting an additional year and putting a reservation on a 2022 model, assuming it releases in 2021. My Model 3 stealth performance can tide me over.

I think I feel the way you do. 10k per year at that price seems ambitious given the market for any car in that price range is small—so,I don’t see that. I’m assuming with the current deposits I’d be a late 2021 buyer if it released on time. The deposit is a considerable interest free loan without a clear end date.

I’m in the same boat as you, not sure what to do
On the one hand I’d love to reserve and be in line, on the other hand 50k for at least a year, most likely even more is a long time to lend tesla money interest free.
I think what’s really holding me back is the lack of updates, had tesla been updating more often on the progress I’d be more inclined to jump in.

To be correct, there is very little interest now on any investment. But yes, the stock market has gone up a lot and 50k in the stock market versus a deposit has been quite a difference. Making a deposit now might be considered a form of hedge bet against a falling market. :^)

Reactions: onshi
I'm also waiting to see how the build quality is before I put my deposit down. The build quality of my Model 3 Performance was pretty bad and required a 2 week visit to the Tesla Approved body shop. That's made me a little nervous for now......

If you're not in a rush, do something else with the $50k. Leaving it in Tesla's bank account for a year or longer, in a booming economy, isn't the best use of funds. There are better ways to hedge the market :)

Full disclosure, I just bought more TSLA an hour ago on the dip. Some analysts are giving nonsense logic about why they're going to miss their delivery numbers, while they just started delivering Model 3s in China today, Nio beat their numbers and stock surged, and Tesla can't clear out the parking lot at GF3 fast enough to make way for new production. Things look very good right now.

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial