Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on Sentry Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been running Sentry mode for the last couple of weeks since I got the car and a) it seems quite sensitive and b) uses a lot of storage space!

This is parked in the drive at home and typically 15 or 20 activations per day. Around half seem real i.e people around, but the rest seem random. Some activations at night seem to flash the lights whereas others don't - so again a bit random. The good news is that most valid events are recorded but there's a lot of additional gubbins with nothing going on. Anyone else seeing this?

I'm running a 256 gb SSD which is needing cleared after about 12 - 14 days currently.

Is everyone else running Sentry most of the time? We have CCTV and also getting an additional low level cam fitted next week, but I think Sentry is a sensible deterrent too; albeit a pain to view and also to clear files. It would also be great if Tesla could introduce remote access to view and delete; even if only when connected to your wifi.

Cheers

• Love
Reactions: Edifice and Roy W.
We’ve disabled it at home, as we have CCTV covering the drive anyway and don’t see much point.

We have it on while out and about though, and we’ve also had a lot of activations with folks walking past etc. It seems to keep ~7 - 8 minutes before the triggering event in the 10 minute saved clip, which I think seems too much.

I also do not like when the car flashes the lights. This seem a bit over the top, especially when it’s just someone walking by. Again, not consistent so it’s hard to say exactly what has to be detected to trigger a flash.

Still, I’ll leave it on and clear it out semi-regularly. It’s also caught some funny reactions from folks impressed by the car which are always nice.

I've been running Sentry mode for the last couple of weeks since I got the car and a) it seems quite sensitive and b) uses a lot of storage space!

This is parked in the drive at home and typically 15 or 20 activations per day. Around half seem real i.e people around, but the rest seem random. Some activations at night seem to flash the lights whereas others don't - so again a bit random. The good news is that most valid events are recorded but there's a lot of additional gubbins with nothing going on. Anyone else seeing this?

I'm running a 256 gb SSD which is needing cleared after about 12 - 14 days currently.

Is everyone else running Sentry most of the time? We have CCTV and also getting an additional low level cam fitted next week, but I think Sentry is a sensible deterrent too; albeit a pain to view and also to clear files. It would also be great if Tesla could introduce remote access to view and delete; even if only when connected to your wifi.

Cheers
I was, but it was using too much battery and being triggered over 70 times a day by people walking or driving past, so am only going to use it when parked in sketchy areas. It also didn't overwrite.

I’ve never checked the footage on mine yet but can anyone confirm if it captures reasonable footage in very dark conditions?

I live on a private road with no street lighting so wouldn’t imagine it will much use at night.

I’ve never checked the footage on mine yet but can anyone confirm if it captures reasonable footage in very dark conditions?

I live on a private road with no street lighting so wouldn’t imagine it will much use at night.
We have a street light opposite so just about Ok. Without this I think it would struggle. I think I'll wait for our new lower level CCTV going in later this week then turn it off.
Cheers

Reactions: LEE3
also getting an additional low level cam fitted next week

Is that a cam at, say, 6' whereas your current ones are up on the roof, or something else (curious to know in case I'm missing a trick :) )

turn it off and use domestic CCTV

I would suggest:

Pretend to be a thief, separate day and night tests.

Do you have a clear picture of the culprit on your CCTV that would be good enough to apprehend them? Is the car any better?

Would the car be a deterrent? "Screen coming to life", lights flashing, music playing, whatever it does now / in future.

personally the aggro of sorting out paperwork / no-claims / etc. for a stolen-car, or getting it keyed, would be outweigh by inconvenience of Sentry-Mode - parasitic use power (which I hate from an Eco point) and manual deletion of files etc. - I suspect that's just Tesla "release it when Good Enough" and improve-it-later. From Bjorn's YouTubes that I have watched the power consumption and unnecessary-activation has already dropped dramatically since it was first launched.

Is that a cam at, say, 6' whereas your current ones are up on the roof, or something else (curious to know in case I'm missing a trick :)

I would suggest:

Pretend to be a thief, separate day and night tests.

Do you have a clear picture of the culprit on your CCTV that would be good enough to apprehend them? Is the car any better?

Would the car be a deterrent? "Screen coming to life", lights flashing, music playing, whatever it does now / in future.

personally the aggro of sorting out paperwork / no-claims / etc. for a stolen-car, or getting it keyed, would be outweigh by inconvenience of Sentry-Mode - parasitic use power (which I hate from an Eco point) and manual deletion of files etc. - I suspect that's just Tesla "release it when Good Enough" and improve-it-later. From Bjorn's YouTubes that I have watched the power consumption and unnecessary-activation has already dropped dramatically since it was first launched.

Yes, the additional CCTV will be at a height to capture faces and also 4K. That said, all the baddies are masked-up these days. It will supplement the usual stuff which is higher up. We also have a Nest doorbell cam (good kit) which picks up movement on the drive, sends an alert and allows two-way speech. With that lot and pin to drive, hopefully we'll avoid any attention.

I have seen a reduction in power usage following the last update I believe, so worth monitoring. It's a useful feature but not without hassle currently.

I've got the wrong time for files on my hard disk recordings? - I can't tell how much they are out by but there is some day/night reversal...
Any ideas if I try and adjust this in the car? or in the software for the disk somewhere?
Thanks