Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on Tesmat camping mattress for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool cool. Neat product. Since it can be so easily squished down, how much cushion is really there? Since there are no reviews, it's hard to tell.....
Hey guys, I’m new to posting on the forums (usually just lurk) but I’m the creator of Tesmat. If you guys have any questions, let me know. Would love to answer them.

FYI we’re running a little ahead of schedule on the production and hoping to begin shipping before the end of the month!
Hi everyone. When I originally started designing this product, my intuition, just as yours, was that I'd need some method to connect the 6 individual mats together. I originally thought of magnets... then thought velcro would be more practical. After some initial testing of the pieces and sleeping on the prototypes, I noticed the mats did not move at all ---even with heavy motion on top of them. Some of the reasons for this are:

1)The fabric that the mat covers are made out of, gently clings to the carpet behind the rear seats.
2)The mats are perfectly sized so that they are pressed against each wall of the trunk. When lying down on the memory foam, the separate memory foam mats compress into each other, rather than away from each other, creating one cohesive piece.
3)The fitted bedsheets wrapped taut around the sub-trunk cover and rear seat headrests help keep everything neat down in place.

Additionally, the separate mats make for quicker packing of the mattress as they are easier to handle. The separate pieces can also be used individually as extra comfort mats for camping chairs.
Cool cool. Neat product. Since it can be so easily squished down, how much cushion is really there? Since there are no reviews, it's hard to tell.....

Sorry I forgot to address that. The foam is 2 inches thick. When you stack up all the mats and put your body weight over the small surface area to compress them, they can condense to about half their size. When your body is lying on top of the set up mattress, the weight is more distributed on the foam and supported by the mats. I used the best (and most expensive) gel memory foam the foam factory offered. I’ll be honest, this is not the same sleeping experience as sleeping in your home, because at the end of the day, it’s a 2 inch thick foam mattress. But I believe it is as comfortable as you can get in a model 3 due to space limitations. If the foam was any thicker, it would limit the height clearance into the trunk (prohibiting you from doing thinks like rolling over/side sleeping). It also wouldn’t be able to compress enough to fit in the sub trunk. It’s definitely comfortable enough for a camping trip, but I wouldn’t be moving into my model 3. Hope this helps

The fabric that the mat covers are made out of, gently clings to the carpet behind the rear seats

I use the Tesla All-Weather Cargo Mat, so does that mean these wouldn't work as well for me and would slide around?

Funny you brought that mattress up. I actually bought that exact mattress when I first got my Model 3 and it was a decent solution. Since it doesn't have any support for the part that hangs over the rear seat headrests though

I see that you corrected for this by adding a rigid board under part of the mats; however, in this video (specifically at 0:30 of the video), it seems like each board only has about 6-8 inches of contact with the back of the seat before spanning the gap. It seems like there might be a teetering type of effect if someone is supporting the weight of their pillow/head on the end of the board. I would assume you didn't personally find this to be the case, but that's one thing I'd wonder about.

Seems like a neat design overall though, and congrats on releasing the product soon.

I use the Tesla All-Weather Cargo Mat, so does that mean these wouldn't work as well for me and would slide around?
I have these cargo mats as well. The back of the rear seats is still carpet which the mats cling too. They have not moved even with the cargo mats covering the trunk carpet.
I see that you corrected for this by adding a rigid board under part of the mats; however, in this video (specifically at 0:30 of the video), it seems like each board only has about 6-8 inches of contact with the back of the seat before spanning the gap. It seems like there might be a teetering type of effect if someone is supporting the weight of their pillow/head on the end of the board. I would assume you didn't personally find this to be the case, but that's one thing I'd wonder about.
There is about 9 inches of contact with the back seat and 9 inches of overhang. The overhang part supports the head of a tall person. There's almost no weight load on that overhang portion because the weight of your shoulders is a lot heavier and greatly overpowers it so there is no "see-saw" effect as I think you're describing.
Seems like a neat design overall though, and congrats on releasing the product soon.
Thanks!

Sorry, new here..Looks like I messed up the markdown for quoting you and part of my response appears to be in your quote. Doesn't look like there's an option to edit or delete the post either

I purposely quoted the portions of your previous response that happened to be the subject of my follow up questions. I would still be interested in answers to those follow up questions, if you get the chance. But judging by your response above, you may spend more time inventing products than learning the nuances of forum-posting, and I certainly can't fault you for that...

Reactions: ArtK
FYI: Here is a single person mattress available at Costco

Attachments

• 2020-01-10_8-40-52.png
    2020-01-10_8-40-52.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 331
I placed an order back on black Friday, just sent them a note looking for an update.

Well two e-mails later, a post on this thread, and a DM here with no reply. I understand this is a small operation but still concerning. If I don't hear anything soon I'll be canceling this order. Unfortunate as this seems like a much better solution than the dreamcase both from a price and convenience factors.