Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on the BMW i4 M50?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quicker than the Performance Model 3. In the US, fast charging anything other than a Tesla is a lesser experience though. Curious if the P3D will get a small update to increase the top end speed to match or beat this car on a drag strip. 3.5 seconds 0-60 then 8 to 120mph. If they can get 60-120mph down half a second, it would inch out this new BMW

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Funny that this came up, I just did the BMW experience two days ago with the M50's down at Fedex Field. I got a P3D on preorder but never driven one, at cornering speed, to get the feel to see how it handles. I will say that I obviously love the BMW features that is has (former bmw owner). I can even go as far to say that they have too many features lol. I also just came from a 8 hour car trip picking up a M440 with a friend. I am very impressed with the adaptive cruise control. Made the drive so much easier. The lane keeping capabilities are definitely just as good, if not better, than tesla. Still not FSD but dag. This is probably the one reason Im still holding on my reservation. Prices are about the same. Open to hear other thoughts.

Reactions: Riguy
Funny that this came up, I just did the BMW experience two days ago with the M50's down at Fedex Field. I got a P3D on preorder but never driven one, at cornering speed, to get the feel to see how it handles. I will say that I obviously love the BMW features that is has (former bmw owner). I can even go as far to say that they have too many features lol. I also just came from a 8 hour car trip picking up a M440 with a friend. I am very impressed with the adaptive cruise control. Made the drive so much easier. The lane keeping capabilities are definitely just as good, if not better, than tesla. Still not FSD but dag. This is probably the one reason Im still holding on my reservation. Prices are about the same. Open to hear other thoughts.
If I needed to replace my car today, I would likely replace the P3D with the M50. My local dealer has one available NOW. A model 3 takes months. My biggest concern is will my local BMW service center be able to work on it. The lack of fast charging is also pretty bad. If you don't road trip that often, probably isn't going to be that big of a deal. But I get "charger available" anxiety going to a 8 space supercharger now. There aren't many 8+ space non-Tesla chargers out there now, wondering if I would get a spot would be anxiety inducing. Its not just how many electric cars are there, but how many of those spots are going to be Iced or not working.
I wouldn't trade my model 3 in for one though. I have a feeling the P3D will get another performance boost in the next year. The Performance Y puts out more power on both motors, some if not all that power could go to the model 3 since its essentially the same stuff.

If I needed to replace my car today, I would likely replace the P3D with the M50. My local dealer has one available NOW. A model 3 takes months. My biggest concern is will my local BMW service center be able to work on it. The lack of fast charging is also pretty bad. If you don't road trip that often, probably isn't going to be that big of a deal. But I get "charger available" anxiety going to a 8 space supercharger now. There aren't many 8+ space non-Tesla chargers out there now, wondering if I would get a spot would be anxiety inducing. Its not just how many electric cars are there, but how many of those spots are going to be Iced or not working.
I wouldn't trade my model 3 in for one though. I have a feeling the P3D will get another performance boost in the next year. The Performance Y puts out more power on both motors, some if not all that power could go to the model 3 since its essentially the same stuff.

What kind of mark up are you seeing from local dealers that have inventory though? Former BMW guy here too. I wouldn't be surprised in seeing a 10+k markup.

To me, the BMW is just plain ugly. Why the huge grill, when it's electric? Doesn't make sense, and it tells the world, "I may be electric, but I'd rather be gas powered." That and the problem of charging on a trip would stop me.
That’s what I don’t like. It’s trying to be ICE and EV so loses out on the benefits of a full EV platform and has stuff like a transmission tunnel and no frunk.

However, it will entice ICE owners over and people don’t need all the storage of a Y. Apart from the grill it looks good.

Reactions: 30seconds
My previous car was an M2 Competition. I am convinced that the F8Xs were the last good-looking BMWs.
They might be ugly (imo), but you can't argue against the numbers. Modern BMW, electric or not, are performance monsters.

On another note, I think that the M3P is due for a performance boost. I do not necessarily think it needs to go any faster down low, but mostly at highway speeds.

Currently driving a RWD LR Model 3. Went and drove the i4M50.

I didnt like it.

I really have grown fond of nothing in front of the steering wheel, the openness of the interior and how light my car feels (even though its not). Also, the i4 had MASSIVE torque steer when flooring it.

Anybody else struggle really bad to get the i4 to come to a smooth stop when using the friction brakes? I couldn't get it to work.

One more thing, I was a huge BMW fan in the past and have owned four different models. I am glad BMW finally came out with a good EV, and am excited to see it on the road.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2