Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on the Model Y so far

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it will not be hitting these shores for some time, but what are people thinking of the Model Y so far. I think it looks great, a lot better than I thought it would. I still prefer the sleek look of the model 3 but for an SUV it is a very good effort, and for those needing the extra space it is a no brainer.

I think it will be a best seller.

Negative:
a little on the big side.
I heard it was wider than a 3. Not ideal if true.
the lack of a parcel shelf is just dumb
Not a fan of the massive wheels. look nice until you hit a pothole

Positive:
great space
Heat pump
looks good
reclining rear seats
Ski hatch
one piece roof ( until it breaks)

Reactions: pow216
Only slightly wider than an M3 - fits in almost exactly between the M3 and MS based on width

Tyres aren't such an issue - still a 45 profile on 19" which is the same as the M3 on 18" rims

I actually prefer the looks to the M3 and think its hard to justify the M3 unless you go for the ultimate performance drivers Tesla (in that it handles better than the MS), For day to day use, the MY would be a better car I recon

Parcel shelf is probably the only downside to me and heavily tinted rear glass will probably cure that. And they need to get it type approved for a tow bar not that personally I'd ever tow something.

This for me too. The extra height is just inefficiency...

The M3 best is 322 miles, the MY os 315 miles - not sure the efficiency difference is worth worrying about unless you drive regularily at very high speed. The heat pump probably wins back most of what is lost by being a little taller

I think a lot of people are assuming lots without actually comparing the specs - like it being only 4cm wider than an M3. Easy to compare lots of the specs here

Tesla S3XY differences

Agreed ... and what is the extra height for? Unless you are so tall that your head is currently pressed against the roof I don't get it! A model 3 with a hatch would be great. I'm sure that would have been an easier job that re-engineering the entire body.

But we're just environmentally conscious Europeans. What do we know....

Negative:
a little on the big side.
I heard it was wider than a 3. Not ideal if true.
the lack of a parcel shelf is just dumb
Not a fan of the massive wheels. look nice until you hit a pothole

Positive:
great space
Heat pump
looks good
reclining rear seats
Ski hatch
one piece roof ( until it breaks)

I'm guessing the lack of parcel shelf is a result of the reclining rear seats, although they could have opted for a retractable one instead.

The whole market is SUV focused so I'm sure it will be popular. Anything to increase efficiency and range is good, hopefully they start fitting the heatpump to the 3 as well. To me it's kind of big for a 5 seater and too cramped for a 7 seater. Much prefer the de-chromed finish. One piece roof should help with wind noise as there is no join, however as someone has already said I would assume it will be extremely expensive if you end up needing the glass replaced.

Reactions: Roy W.