Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on the Mustang Mach E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday Ford unveiled the first true competitor (IMO) to the Model 3 and Y and I would say they did a pretty good job!

2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E officially revealed for the L.A. Auto Show

It’s pretty clear that Ford wanted to match Tesla on everything from Power to Price. However, given that we wont see the Mach 3 till end of 2020 and the M3 has been out for a while already, shows Tesla has at least 2-3 year lead at this point. On top of that, factors like the China Gigafactory are going to be key differentiators for Tesla as a company. Your thoughts? Anyone tempted by this and other new offerings coming to the market like the i4?

Last edited by a moderator:
Even as im not a fan of SUV/CUV, i think it looks fantastic. The smooth EV front end is nice. The rear quarter bulge is sporty. And overall shape/profile is very athletic.

Battery is really high capacity (75-100kWh). Motor output is not that good - 250hp SR/RWD --> 330hp ER/AWD --> unknown for GT. Though it is more than adequate for everyone .

I like the double display inside with the dash behind the steering wheel.

It's just that I dont trust Ford technology, and this is a software-centric car. Their Sync system has been horrendous.

The car is a good proposition on paper, but i'll let other people be the guinea pig for their first EV product

Im waiting to see that new Mistang EV side by side with the GT500 in their show room and folks read the specs and learn the EV outperforms the GT500 while in the showroom. That's going to be interesting! Then again maybe all this Ford EV stuff is just propaganda on their part.

I like it for if nothing else some competition for other brands.

Big questions:

"Ford has also created a large network of electric vehicle charging stations across the U.S. Ford expects the charger network to have more than 12,000 charging stations".

When?

Where is it. EAs Charging network? The article makes it sound like Ford has their own. When did they install it and exactly where are these Ford Chargers at?

Reactions: Hank42

Big questions:

"Ford has also created a large network of electric vehicle charging stations across the U.S. Ford expects the charger network to have more than 12,000 charging stations".

When?

Where is it. EAs Charging network? The article makes it sound like Ford has their own. When did they install it and exactly where are these Ford Chargers at?

Looks like a lot of public chargers when I looked at their map. Charging will be the story for all EV's. If they do not have a network of FAST DC chargers they will never take off in my humble opinion.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX
upload_2019-11-18_9-10-18.png

Don't care for the Mustang badges but that can be solved with a piece of monofilament. The tech will be glitchy at first because it's new (no shocker there), but the numbers seem pretty good (range, power and dollars), and the form factor is definitely going to be attractive to lots of people. I like that the software will be updated over the air, but that if the update fails you're left with an operable previous download rather than being stranded. All to the good, and remember, the goal here is not just Tesla's success but the transition to electric vehicles in general.
Long, long ago, when Billy Ford was at Princeton, he announced that when he was in charge of the family firm, "All Fords will be electric." It's taken way too long but these steps (with the EV F-150) go some distance to making that old boast (finally) come true.
Charging will be an issue, but likely not such a big one given that most people will do this in their own garages, and either have another ICE vehicle for long trips or use the "Ford Charging Network" (whatever that turns out to actually be).
The sticky part will come in the buying experience, which is to say, how painful will Ford dealers make it. It's a good thing that more than 2000 of them in the States will be certified to work on this car. Service should be a lot easier to arrange than it is for a Tesla. But if Ford dealers pull the usual dumb dealer tricks (adding fees, selling "lifetime oil changes" and padding the bill with premiums in tight markets) then I'd have no part of it. Or buy my Mach E from a dealer in a nice, quiet, non-coastal state.
But the car looks good, promises to perform well, has a really nice interior (not Edwardian Jaguar, but not Tesla's Nordic Nightmare either) and it will be built by a company that already has a lot of the pieces (QC, sales and service) that Tesla is still trying to ramp up to match fleet numbers.
Good move, Ford. Hope it all works out.
Robin

Looks like a lot of public chargers when I looked at their map. Charging will be the story for all EV's. If they do not have a network of FAST DC chargers they will never take off in my humble opinion.

I would bet that most Tesla owners use superchargers fewer than ten times a year. I would also bet that a significant number of Tesla owners have not supercharged in the last 12 months.

Most Leaf owners do just fine charging at home on level 1. Leaf owners figure out to make EV work with limited resources. Tesla owners, due to the price point, mostly expect no inconvenience compared to ICE.

Public charging is both very important for a great many people, and also largely meaningless for a great many people.

I don't know where most Mach E owners will fall in this spectrum.

I would bet that most Tesla owners use superchargers fewer than ten times a year. I would also bet that a significant number of Tesla owners have not supercharged in the last 12 months.

Most Leaf owners do just fine charging at home on level 1. Leaf owners figure out to make EV work with limited resources. Tesla owners, due to the price point, mostly expect no inconvenience compared to ICE.

Public charging is both very important for a great many people, and also largely meaningless for a great many people.

I don't know where most Mach E owners will fall in this spectrum.

I travel quite a bit and require supercharging as my Model 3 is my primary car. I have a Ford 1 ton truck as my second.

Traveling from Jacksonville, FL to Orlando, FL and back several times a month would be impossible without Super Chargers. I see at least 50% Model 3's at the Super Chargers and would think it is to expensive to Super Charge if you are just commuting. I believe there a much larger portion of Tesla owners that are using Super Chargers for distance driving and there is no way there will be progress by other manufacturers without a real network of DC FAST chargers existing.

BTW I would likely by this Ford over the Tesla due to price, size and mileage should the charging be there.

I preordered the GT to replace my Bolt EV (leased). I prefer the X/S cockpit layout vs the 3 screen in the middle. The Y having that bugged me. I doubt CoPilot 2 will be as good as Autopilot or FSD when it gets here.

This would be the third car with Mustang on the name I've owned. and potentially the sixth ford. I love my X, and competition is good. Tesla can't change the world alone. So my personal tastes are coming in.

Big questions:

When?

We just got the Model 3 on Saturday and while I super love it, I am completely thinking of losing my mind and putting a resserve on the Mach E. I am a ford girl and the looks, the interior, the panel and most importantly that little key pad on the door to get it, have me practically sold plus i REALLY like the look of the car!

Reactions: Billyk24