Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on the "World's First Tesla extension cord"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you only keep items that "spark joy"? If so, I have no clothes left for work.

Not to mention prescription medicines, tax documents, kitchen utensils, computers, eyeglasses, and other necessities -- at least, speaking for myself. I'm sure some people would experience joy when dealing with at least some of these things. In fact, I bet I'd experience joy when holding my glasses if I were deprived of them for a week -- but not today.

I think there's two schols of thought to make this "supercharger proof"

1) Limit the current through fuses. Something like a 50 or 60 amp fuse would blow in just a second or two after starting a charge. Might fit a fuse holder and a pair of type G fuses in one of the handles.

2) Fail a DC isolation test. Phase to ground would trip GFI in an AC EVSE so you can't do that, but at least CCS and CHAdeMO (and I assume supercharger) there is an isolation test done between the positive and negative before the contactors inside the vehicle close, to verify integrety of the cable, connector, and some vehicle side stuff. So I would put something like 100k Ohm resistor between the two power pins. It'll dissipate a very small amount of power when in use for AC power, but will prevent a supercharge session from even starting, because it would fail this test. Boom. Done.

Tony if you didn't think of #2 on your own, you owe me! :D

Reactions: Phlier
Finally got a response from the company which didnt really answer all my questions. Gonna cut and paste the reply from them:

I have a question about your Tesla extension cable. Clearly, its not to be used on the SC network, but is there a lockout that would prevent someone from doing so, rather it be in software or hardware?

The cable is fused.

What is the AWG used for this cable?

Besides being available in various lengths, the ELONG™ has three power ratings. The legacy 2008-2011 Roadster requires an adaptor (not supplied). J1772 charge stations require Tesla J1772 adaptor (supplied with every new Tesla car).

32-40 amp - For use with the mobile connector that came with your Tesla vehicle, or public J1772 charge stations that are rated for 40 amps or below, which is most of them. The cable is approximately 0.55 inch (14mm) diameter.

48 amp - for ALL Tesla vehicles, EXCEPT those with upgraded onboard chargers and the legacy Roadster. The cable is approximately 0.58 inch (15mm) diameter. RECOMMENDED FOR MOST TESLA OWNERS.

80 amp - for Tesla vehicles with upgraded onboard chargers. Usually 70, 72, or 80 amps. The cable is approximately 0.95 inch (24mm) diameter, and is the heaviest of the three.

ELONG™ lengths available are as follows:

32-40A - 25 feet / 7.6m and 50 feet / 15.2m

48A - 20 feet / 6.5m and 40ft / 13m

80A - 15 feet / 49m and 30ft / 98m

Custom lengths include a $50 surcharge, plus the cost of the additional cable:

32-40 amp cable only - $5 per each additional foot / 0.3 meter

48 amp cable only - $7.50 per each additional foot / 0.3 meter

80 amp cable only - $10 per each additional foot / 0.3 meter

Thanks,

Tony Williams
Founder/ CEO / Product Architect
QC Charge
1780-104 La Costa Meadows Drive
San Marcos, California 92078 USA
[email protected]
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-760-798-0342 Office M-F, 9-5pm
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787

@Stavesacre21 Thanks for the info! If it's fused it won't burn down the supercharger. Just turn it into a paperweight.

If does sound like a more flexible option over various extension cords on the plug side of the UMC. Plus the option of using it on a J1772 cable (although the adaptor wouldn't be locked to anything).

Finally got a response from the company which didnt really answer all my questions. Gonna cut and paste the reply from them:

I have a question about your Tesla extension cable. Clearly, its not to be used on the SC network, but is there a lockout that would prevent someone from doing so, rather it be in software or hardware?

The cable is fused.

Besides being available in various lengths, the ELONG™ has three power ratings. The legacy 2008-2011 Roadster requires an adaptor (not supplied). J1772 charge stations require Tesla J1772 adaptor (supplied with every new Tesla car).

32-40 amp - For use with the mobile connector that came with your Tesla vehicle, or public J1772 charge stations that are rated for 40 amps or below, which is most of them. The cable is approximately 0.55 inch (14mm) diameter.

48 amp - for ALL Tesla vehicles, EXCEPT those with upgraded onboard chargers and the legacy Roadster. The cable is approximately 0.58 inch (15mm) diameter. RECOMMENDED FOR MOST TESLA OWNERS.

80 amp - for Tesla vehicles with upgraded onboard chargers. Usually 70, 72, or 80 amps. The cable is approximately 0.95 inch (24mm) diameter, and is the heaviest of the three.

Thanks,

Tony Williams
QC Charge
[email protected]
www.QCcharge.com
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787

thanks for the update..

on a separate note, great username. been a Stavesacre fan since HS!

Reactions: Stavesacre21
@Stavesacre21 Thanks for the info! If it's fused it won't burn down the supercharger. Just turn it into a paperweight.

LOL, hopefully it’s user replaceable, and not by a paper clip :)

If does sound like a more flexible option over various extension cords on the plug side of the UMC. Plus the option of using it on a J1772 cable (although the adaptor wouldn't be locked to anything).

Hmm, good point about locking.

The cable is fused.*****************
Thanks,

Tony Williams
QC Charge
[email protected]
www.QCcharge.com
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787

Thanks for posting, but he did not answer the key question on AWG wire size... clearly deflecting with cable size. :cool:

So, has this turned out to be vaporware...? Was just looking at their site, it now says "we expect Tesla ELONG to ship by Early 2020." That's a delay from the earlier screenshot indicating "Fall 2019"; and, I would argue, the "early 2020" ship has already sailed....

Anyone ever get to the bottom of the AWG question?

Reactions: lUtriaNt