Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on this install for a 14-50 install with subpanel.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a quote to install a Nema 14-50 circuit to my garage. Just want to make sure all the equipment being used looks correct and that the price is at least on par with what everybody else is seeing in NJ. Thank you ahead of time for your help.

Servicesamount
Task:$1,240.00
- install sub panel next to main panel
- move circuits into sub panel to make room for new EV charger circuit
- install wiring for new charger plug from main panel to garage
- install 50amp plug in garage
- label sub panel a d main panel accordingly
Materialsamount
Sub Panel 6/12$85.00
Material - 2p50a Breaker$90.00
2 pole 50amp breaker
(Panel specific)
Material - 8/3 NM cable$200.00
8/3 Romeo cable (50amp rated)
Material - Misc Materials$22.50
Connectors, screws, wire nuts, ground screws, caulk, duct seal, etc…
50amp receptacle 4-wire$35.00
2gang box$6.00
Material - 1900 box$10.00
Junction box deep or shallow
Material - Cover plate$10.00

Subtotal$1,698.50

Not in NJ so cannot comment on $. But even if using Nema 14-50 outlet have electrician use #6 wire. This way if in the future and you want Wall Charger or other third party charger that goes to 48 Amps you have the wiring. Only breaker need change to 60A in future vs 50A. Should be only a few dollars more.

Also all wire should be 4 wire. 8/3 specified above. Be sure it is 8/3 Romex PLUS GROUND or specified as 8/4 (6/4 recommended above) wire. There must be 4 wires in the cable.

I only had one quote so far and that was just to run a 14-30 through 20' of conduit off an existing subpanel, and I don't know whether that would include a GFCI breaker or a regular one (your quote doesn't specify which type either)

That was $1,700 and this is Dallas TX if that helps

...and it cost me $99 to get that info (and in fairness to do a load calculation)

also your quote doesn't state the length of cable you get for your $200 - and it doesn't mention any conduit

Last edited:
Got a quote to install a Nema 14-50 circuit to my garage. Just want to make sure all the equipment being used looks correct and that the price is at least on par with what everybody else is seeing in NJ. Thank you ahead of time for your help.

Servicesamount
Materialsamount
Sub Panel 6/12$85.00
2 pole 50amp breaker
(Panel specific)
2gang box$6.00

Subtotal$1,698.50
I'm in NJ and mine cost $800. I did not need a subpanel but did need a 40' run of wire from panel in my basement across the entire house to the garage wall. I used Ken Marshall in East Windsor who has done a lot of EV charging installs.

That should be specified as a GFCI outlet, and are you absolutely positive you need a new subpanel? Is your panel already as full as it can be with tandem breakers? Note that not all panels support ANY tandem breakers, and some are limited to only certain locations for tandem breakers.

Additionally, and lesser known, is that some panels support tandem breakers even for 240 volt loads, so for instance, that electric dryer that takes two full-width breaker spots can automagically support an electric dryer AND an EV charger with a simple breaker swap.

Servicesamount
Materialsamount
Sub Panel 6/12$85.00
2 pole 50amp breaker
(Panel specific)
2gang box$6.00

Subtotal$1,698.50
For a 50A circuit you can't use 8 gauge NM-B (Romex wire), would need to use 6 gauge. The NEMA 14-50 receptacle requires 3 conductors, not 4 conductors plus the ground wire, so 6/3 NM-B. (Note: The ground wire is present, not counted as a conductor.)

If NJ and your local jurisdiction has adopted the 2017 version of the National Electrical Code (NEC) then you will need to install a GFCI circuit breaker (now required by code for all EV charging receptacles.) Since there is no GFCI receptacle available for the 14-50 receptacle a GFCI circuit breaker ($100) would be required.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
It would be interesting to get a picture of your main panel and overall garage location:

I am puzzle about the need to add a subpanel just to install a new circuit breaker?
- this is certainly a clean solution but would using some tandem circuit breakers
could provide some room for the new EV line inside the main panel?

From the cost of $90, I imagine that the circuit breakers are GFCI ?

Instead of 8/3 Romex cable I like better using a conduit with wires inside
to get a cleaner looking install, unless there are too many curves a cable migt be simpler.
For $200, I imagine you get about 50 feet of 8/3 Romex.

The location of your plug is also a main concern that you should consider.
There are several TMC threads dealing with this issue depending of your situation:
- Are you parking head front or in reverse.
- Do you want in the future to share the plug with another car in your garage?
- Do you want to be able both to charge with your car inside the garage or parked outside in front of your garage.
- Do you want to have the cable of the Tesla charger running on the floor around the car or suspended above the car.

Basically you paid mostly the labor for the instalation, if you estimate 8 hours you can have an idea of the hourly rate.
But the installer might also considere the shopping time and driving time to your home.

Would also a permit be established as this might be required for your homeowner insurance?

Also there are many TMC threads comparing the cost of instaling a Nema plug requiring a GFCI circuit breaker,
versus using a Tesla wall charger with a regular circuit breaker, considering the federal tax credit Form 8911,
of 30% of the cost of purchasing and installing an EV charging station up to $1,000 for residential installations.

Last edited:
I'm in NJ and mine cost $800. I did not need a subpanel but did need a 40' run of wire from panel in my basement across the entire house to the garage wall. I used Ken Marshall in East Windsor who has done a lot of EV charging installs.

Good to know about the electrician as a backup. We have one that lives in my development so I'm going to ask him first. We're anticipating moving next year so I'm also battling the decision to just use my 20A receptacle in the garage vs. hook up a new 14-50.

It would be interesting to get a picture of your main panel and overall garage location:

I am puzzle about the need to add a subpanel just to install a new circuit breaker?
- this is certainly a clean solution but would using some tandem circuit breakers
could provide some room for the new EV line inside the main panel?

From the cost of $90, I imagine that the circuit breakers are GFCI ?

Instead of 8/3 Romex cable I like better using a conduit with wires inside
to get a cleaner looking install, unless there are too many curves a cable migt be simpler.
For $200, I imagine you get about 50 feet of 8/3 Romex.

The location of your plug is also a main concern that you should consider.
There are several TMC threads dealing with this issue depending of your situation:
- Are you parking head front or in reverse.
- Do you want in the future to share the plug with another car in your garage?
- Do you want to be able both to charge with your car inside the garage or parked outside in front of your garage.
- Do you want to have the cable of the Tesla charger running on the floor around the car or suspended above the car.

Basically you paid mostly the labor for the instalation, if you estimate 8 hours you can have an idea of the hourly rate.
But the installer might also considere the shopping time and driving time to your home.

Would also a permit be established as this might be required for your homeowner insurance?

Also there are many TMC threads comparing the cost of instaling a Nema plug requiring a GFCI circuit breaker,
versus using a Tesla wall charger with a regular circuit breaker, considering the federal tax credit Form 8911,
of 30% of the cost of purchasing and installing an EV charging station up to $1,000 for residential installations.
My panel is full and I don't think I can use Tandem breaker but I will ask. My panel is in the basement and I have drop ceiling so is should be easy to route the power cable. As far as placement I have a 2 car garage and will place the mobile charging unit in the middle of the garage so I can charge in both bays as needed. I don't need the Tesla wall charger as the Mobile with NEMA 14-50 will be plenty for my needs.

Reactions: KJD
My panel is full and I don't think I can use Tandem breaker but I will ask. My panel is in the basement and I have drop ceiling so is should be easy to route the power cable. As far as placement I have a 2 car garage and will place the mobile charging unit in the middle of the garage so I can charge in both bays as needed. I don't need the Tesla wall charger as the Mobile with NEMA 14-50 will be plenty for my needs.
The Tesla charging cord is ~18.5 ft in length. If you install the 14-50 receptacle and charging equipment at the back of the garage you will most likely have to back into the garage so that the Tesla charging cable can reach the charging port.

Reactions: Watts_Up
The Tesla charging cord is ~18.5 ft in length. If you install the 14-50 receptacle and charging equipment at the back of the garage you will most likely have to back into the garage so that the Tesla charging cable can reach the charging port.
Yup that is the plan. I always pull my cars in reverse. :)

And thank you all for you informative posts. Helps being able to bounce things off a group that has already gone through this.

Reactions: jcanoe
For a 50A circuit you can't use 8 gauge NM-B (Romex wire), would need to use 6 gauge. The NEMA 14-50 receptacle requires 3 conductors, not 4 conductors plus the ground wire, so 6/3 NM-B. (Note: The ground wire is present, not counted as a conductor.)

If NJ and your local jurisdiction has adopted the 2017 version of the National Electrical Code (NEC) then you will need to install a GFCI circuit breaker (now required by code for all EV charging receptacles.) Since there is no GFCI receptacle available for the 14-50 receptacle a GFCI circuit breaker ($100) would be required.
Yep, this is correct. This would be plenty of reason for me to call another electrician. 8 gauge is only good to 40 amps as romex, or 'romeo' as the elecrician has put it.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and jcanoe
Yep, this is correct. This would be plenty of reason for me to call another electrician. 8 gauge is only good to 40 amps as romex, or 'romeo' as the elecrician has put it.
I just did. This was my first estimate that I got from one of the electricians I used before. But I am getting another quote from the electrician I usually use. He is harder to get in touch with as he is always busy (he is good) but he is going to send me a quote and he has a Tesla also. :)