Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on this wheel/tire 20" combo for P85D, and whether to go staggered or not.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may be the last decision, at least I hope so, I have to make regarding my P85D to be delivered next month (yes, I can finally say next month :) ), it's been a tough process from colors, suspension type, options, and the list go on and on, so please help me with this last one.

I'm taking delivery with 19" wheels and tires but will upgrade to 20's as I feel that's the best of all worlds for me. I'm thinking of buying these wheels below, they were the only ones, after hours of looking, that both my wife and I agreed upon.

m510-satinsilver-tesla-model-s-siderear.jpg
m510-satinsilver-tesla-model-s-side.jpg

I'm thinking of pairing them with Continental ExtremeContact DWS all season tires, although I'm in sunny Florida. The wheels come in 20x8.5 and 20x10, not 9-9.5 size, and these tires are the best option for the size that I've found (with the help from Jason at GetYourWheels!).

I guess the first question is, what do you think of the wheel/tire combo for the P85D?

The second question is, should I go 20x8.5 all around or should I do 20x8.5 in front and 20x10 in rear? My reservations have to do with weight and tire wear. The staggered tires can't be rotated and also the rears would wear faster I supposed. Or would this be different due to the AWD?

Regarding the weight, what we are looking at is the following:
Avant Garde AG M510Wheel Weight:
20x8.5 - 30.5 lbs
20x10 - 32 lbs

Continental DSW Tire Weight
Front: 26.1
Rear: 31.9

If I go non-staggered, the weight would be pretty similar to the stock 19" package even though I'm going up to 20". But if I go with the staggered package I'll be adding 3.25 pounds per corner but getting 20" rims as a trade-off.

All comments, thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

just got my 20x9 TSW Nurburgrings and I can say they look much better in person than in the photos. I ordered five so I could (1) rotate front to rear and (2) have a spare in case they go out of production and I ding a rim in the future. I've had to buy a whole new set of rims because one was damaged before.....

For me, stagger is for looks only as the car simply does not need it for balance (the P85D that is).

Nurburgring Alloy Wheels by TSW

FYI
I am doing aluminum centering rings for my TSWs and, just for grins, weighed them against my reference stock 19" Tesla wheel. TSW = 10 kg while the Tesla 19" was 15 kg. That TSW 10 kg compares favorably to your chosen wheel.

If you are anywhere near the WPB area, you are welcome to take a look at my bronze Nurburgrings.

Thanks, Lolochampcar, the Nurburgring were top of my list but my wife didn't like them, I love them! I think the problem is that the Mirror Face version is not as nice as the Matte Gunmetal and we wanted something in chrome. The chrome version doesn't look as clean I guess, at least for her taste.

- - - Updated - - -

On another note, what are your thoughts regarding range with a more open rim? The Avant Garde M510's are quite open with very thin spokes.

She has good taste as the "shiny" ones really do not look that good.

For tires, have you considered Pilot Super Sports? I've had good luck with them.

Just saw the second part.... I have no idea on rims and range but indications from Tesla are that they dwell in the 1-3% range which is down in my personal noise floor.

For tires, have you considered Pilot Super Sports? I've had good luck with them.

Just saw the second part.... I have no idea on rims and range but indications from Tesla are that they dwell in the 1-3% range which is down in my personal noise floor.

Yeah, doesn't look like they come in 20x8.5" unfortunately so I had to look elsewhere.

they dwell in the 1-3% range which is down in my personal noise floor.

Lol, I would have to agree. Let's hope that's the case.

I completely agree with lola. However, IMO, the staggards look TOO perfect (but costly and unnecessary) on an S to pass up. Glad to see that you are going with high-performance 20's and not the problematic, heavy, low-performance 21's.

Hello everyone. I am deciding on the best wheel tire comb to order and I have a few questions I hope you can help me with in regards to the 20".

1) Do you feel there will be a significant enough difference between the 20" wheel and the 21"? After all its just 1". Is it because there is a better tire selection in the 20"? (The truth is I really like the look of the 21" grey turbine wheels)

2) is there a good all season tire with good high wear rating available on the 20" or even a better wear rating summer tire that i is good on the AWD P85D?

3) will the 20" reduce the occurrances of pot hole blow outs bent rims? will only 1" really make that much of a difference? (I currently run 19" low profile all seasons on my AMG and have had at least 4 pot hot blowouts in 5 years.)

1) From my experience, the largest OEM wheels go up to 20" so 20" tires are typically more available and cheaper than 21"s. Almost every tire store that I've been to stock a good variety of 20" sizes, but when it comes to 21", they have to specially order. I don't know how big of a deal this is to you, but from a pricing perspective you can expect to pay ~$150 more for 21" sizing over 20 for a set of 4

2) I don't know, sorry

3) This is going to matter more on the size of your tires. 1" doesn't make a huge difference if your tires are the same size. Other factors you should consider is your car will be slightly slower and less efficient if the wheels are significantly heavier than your previous ones. Users have reported losing up to ~5-10 wh loss per mile when moving from 19's to 21's due to added weight

You can look at this two ways.
1-Twenty inch wheels are just one more inch bigger than nineteen wheels so the impact shouldn't be so bad. Now, two full inches? That's quite a big.
or
2-Wow, twenty inch wheels are almost twenty ones, so is it really possible they are a better alternative? Why not go all the way in?

I decided to go with 20's because it's a good middle ground and the best of both worlds, IMHO. And if you get the right wheels, the weight won't be a big issue and the efficiency shouldn't be hurt as much.

As for tires, see my next post coming soon :)

- - - Updated - - -

just got my 20x9 TSW Nurburgrings and I can say they look much better in person than in the photos. I ordered five so I could (1) rotate front to rear and (2) have a spare in case they go out of production and I ding a rim in the future. I've had to buy a whole new set of rims because one was damaged before.....

For me, stagger is for looks only as the car simply does not need it for balance (the P85D that is).

Nurburgring Alloy Wheels by TSW

FYI
I am doing aluminum centering rings for my TSWs and, just for grins, weighed them against my reference stock 19" Tesla wheel. TSW = 10 kg while the Tesla 19" was 15 kg. That TSW 10 kg compares favorably to your chosen wheel.

If you are anywhere near the WPB area, you are welcome to take a look at my bronze Nurburgrings.

Guess what? I'm getting Nurburgrinds after all :)

I showed my wife these photos: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...rmarket-wheels?p=862667&viewfull=1#post862667

And she agreed it looked good but it triggered a color change and all, which I'm trilled about anyway because she was the one that had outlawed the white as we couldn't find a nice set a wheels we liked for it.

Now, onto tires. I'm looking at the Pilot Sports A/S 3's, I wonder what lolachampcar has to say about them. They have a nice thread wear warranty, good reviews and I would probably go staggered with them and perhaps get 35k miles for the front and 18k for the back, which doesn't seem too bad considering they are a bit cheaper than the PSS tires. Also, with the PSS tires I wouldn't want to go staggered as those are estimated at 15k for the back tires and 30k for the front.

I'm trilled we are getting the Nurburgrinds though, they are much lighter than my initial selection and they look more aggressive which I like.

First of all, my wife has white. Every time I pass her on the road I do a double take. I think the white is the single best looking standard color from Tesla. If her's were not white, mine would be. The bronze on white is stunning. I got to see it when I was checking fit and offset of my new rims on my wife's car.

WRT A/S 3s, I have absolutely no experience with them. I only made the move to PSS based on recommendations from some of my racing buddies that do a lot of work with Porsche (on and off the track). They suggested the PSS was an excellent option for replacing the rears on my P+. I did so and was very happy with the traction, feel and road noise. I did not keep the car long enough to check wear but the recommendation was right on all the other points so I expected that tire wear would be better as well.

just got my 20x9 TSW Nurburgrings and I can say they look much better in person than in the photos. .... For me, stagger is for looks only as the car simply does not need it for balance (the P85D that is).
I got 20" TSW Amaroos, which are very similar to their Nurburgring ... I do a lot of city driving on the crappy pot-holed streets of LA, and was worried about the low profile of 21s and what I've read about rims getting bent, yet I thought the 19s looked a little too small and a little too generic, so I think 20s are the sweet spot ... staggered fitment for no other reason than I simply like the look, 255/40-20X8.5 in front and 285/35-20X10 in back ... (the 10" wide rims have a nice deep concave look, BTW) ... with Michelin Pilot Super Sports ... there is a slight rub in front at full lock, but only in reverse, and 245s would be a better choice, but unfortunately the PSSes don't come in that size ... they do, however, come with a 30,000 mile warranty, and that's mainly why I chose them over the Continentals ... lastly, I had the center caps custom made from here: Online shop 3D wheel center caps ... and when you click on the tab that says "Car Brand", don't be concerned that Tesla isn't on the list ... I just told them I wanted a red Tesla "T" on a black background, and they came up with what you see in the pic

wheel.JPG

With the bigger motor on the rear, go for the staggered. That rear end will still come around on you even though an AWD will tend to oversteer. That P85+ suspension you have will push it into oversteer. You don't want to find out when it is too late.