Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

thoughts on trading in a 2016 tesla 75d model s for performance model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any way you can try it for a week or something? Except for the trunk size there are some day-to-day changes that can be a real hurdle:
* No natural rest position for your right foot
* Manual trunk close (if you use it, the frunk is what I use 90% of the time)
* Lumbar support cannot be saved to profile, really annoying if you share the car (my fiance is 30cm shorter than me, we spend a lot of time bickering about it)
* Brake pedal reacts immediately (I prefer it that way, you might not)
* Softest setting on the steering wheel is quite hard, hardest setting is like driving a car without a servo (again, I like it this way)
* The TM3 feels cheap because of the trimmings and finish. Especially parts like the rubber lining for the windows, the faux leather on the center console, panel gaps. The S feels much more like a premium car.

I absolutely love driving my TM3 (when it's not in for the monthly warranty service), just wanted to give you my 2 cents

Any way you can try it for a week or something? Except for the trunk size there are some day-to-day changes that can be a real hurdle:
* No natural rest position for your right foot
* Manual trunk close (if you use it, the frunk is what I use 90% of the time)
* Lumbar support cannot be saved to profile, really annoying if you share the car (my fiance is 30cm shorter than me, we spend a lot of time bickering about it)
* Brake pedal reacts immediately (I prefer it that way, you might not)
* Softest setting on the steering wheel is quite hard, hardest setting is like driving a car without a servo (again, I like it this way)
* The TM3 feels cheap because of the trimmings and finish. Especially parts like the rubber lining for the windows, the faux leather on the center console, panel gaps. The S feels much more like a premium car.

I absolutely love driving my TM3 (when it's not in for the monthly warranty service), just wanted to give you my 2 cents
yeah i had a model 3p for a couple days i loved it but i dont think imma follow through with this ill just keep my car and get a roadster in 2 years or so thanks guys!

Reactions: TrumpetTitan
yeah i had a model 3p for a couple days i loved it but i dont think imma follow through with this ill just keep my car and get a roadster in 2 years or so thanks guys!
I think that's a good choice. You've already taken the bulk of the depreciation on your car, so a couple more years and trade in for a roadster would make more sense (imo).

I sold my 75D Facelift AP1 and purchased a Model 3 Performance less than two months ago.

I do not regret this at all.

The S was definitely the more "luxurious" car. I still think the S looks better than the 3 on the outside and I still think it felt more "premium" on the inside.

That said, the P3 is significantly more fun to drive, the display and technology is several generations beyond what the S had. Current gen Autopilot is great (though I wouldn't buy FSD -- I find that here in AZ it is unreliable at best with the HOV lanes and tends to route me in the stupidest ways possible, and I don't use summon). The car feels more fun to drive. I preferred the seats in my S for comfort, but I prefer the seats in the 3 for more spirited driving, if that makes sense.

The build quality on the 3 seems better than the S as well. Maybe it's a few more years experience, maybe it's the mass production, but I find that the rattles and noises I had in my S are nowhere to be found in the 3, panel gaps are smaller, etc.

I miss the hatch, but if that's a dealbreaker then waiting for the Y is probably worth it.

Reactions: TrumpetTitan
:)Had my P3D in for service issue, not able to charge, two weeks ago. Drove a 2016 Model S, P85 for two days. Huge difference. I never felt comfortable driving. Didn't realize the difference until I drove my P3D home. Seemed more refined, smaller, and nimble.

Definitely a personal preference thing, but I'll chime in anyway. My wife has a 2018 Model S 75D, but without any physical upgrades (like yours, OP) and I have a Model 3 Performance.

As you can probably guess by my avatar I greatly prefer the Model 3 Performance because of how it drives. Much more nimble, you can easily sense the road through coil springs (instead of air suspension in the S) and much better forward visibility because of the low, minimalist dash. The car is an absolute loon when you put it in Track Mode, which is fun for trackside spectators as well as everyone in the car. The wife's 75D got rear ended, and when we were discussing the repairs at the local body shop that has experience with Teslas, the customer rep mentioned that the Model 3 is much simpler to repair, since it has a simplistic design and isn't "over-engineered" like the Model S is, structurally.

That being said, the Model S is definitely a better looking car, and is more comfortable for longer drives, and has a better interior layout, particularly with the info cluster directly in front. And if you have the free supercharging, that is definitely worth keeping if you frequently do long drives. My wife and I usually don't need supercharging for our long tips (we live 25 miles from the airport :p ).

I was OK getting the "uglier" Tesla because nothing Tesla makes is as beautiful as my S2000.