TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Thoughts on why AEB is designed to only reduce speed by 25mph?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by viet658, Apr 15, 2018.

1. viet658

viet658 Member

B8DB286F-BFE7-4A36-AD17-F5ACF14BB47A.jpeg Thoughts on why AEB is designed to only reduce speed by 25mph?

2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

The primary goal is to begin the braking process and the human will take over thus mitigating the severity of the crash.

Brake too fast to a stop and someone will slam into you from behind. The keywords here are "When a frontal collision is considered unavoidable..."

If you've ever had a frontal collision, you'll know that, eventually, you do get to 0 mph.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Well-Known Member

I think it's best explained with an example

Like lets say you're traveling down the freeway at 70mph, and there is a false detection with the AEB system. With a 25mph reduction it brings you down to 45mph. It's going to be unnerving, and you'll be irked. But, odds are no one is going to crash into you. Unless they're on your butt where they don't give the proper following distance.

If you went from 70 to 0 with as much braking power as the car could give you'd likely end up with some SUV on your back.

The 25mph was picked because that's enough of a reduction in speed to be life saving.

In the end it's just a way of managing imperfect technology.

• Like x 7
    • Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  4. viet658

viet658 Member

Thanks for the responses. I believe a lot of people probably didn't know this was part of the design and assume AEB would bring the car to a complete stop.

5. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

On other cars AEB actually brings you to a stop.. why?

6. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. Devoldinho

Devoldinho New Member

While this could be the reasoning from Tesla, does this mean that their technology is subpar compared to other car brands?

As always, I recomend everyone to check out Euro-NCAP’s reviews and videos were they test AEB as a part of the safety rating. AEB counts toward the rating, so it’s becoming quite common in Europe.

Here’s from the latest test of the Volvo XC60:

«The autonomous emergency braking system scored maximum points when tested at highway speeds, with collisions avoided at all test speeds and in all scenarios.»

Official Volvo XC60 safety rating

The Toyoya Prius also avoids the crash completly.

Official Toyota Prius 2016 safety rating

Had to do some digging to find a car that has AEB and does not avoid the crash in all scenarios, like Tesla:

Official Mazda CX-5 safety rating

The Mazda CX5 only reduces the severity of the crash if following a car at short distance and the car in front brakes harshly.

If being rear ended was a common occurance due to faulty AEB on other car brands, surely we would have heard about i more often?

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  8. Henry82

Henry82 Member

Thanks for bringing this up... I was under the impression that AEB could bring the car to a complete stop... I doubt I'm alone in this misconception. TACC/EAP is fully capable of bring the car to a complete stop (and starting off again)... so the system is fully capable... I'm not understanding this -25 mph limitation.

9. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Powerful bodyshop lobby.

• Funny x 14
  10. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Here in the US automakers have agreed to make AEB standard in 2022

11. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Let's take a closer look at the Volvo manual for details:
    Basically, if you're in stop and go traffic, it'll stop, just like a Tesla. If you're going highway speeds, then it will not necessarily stop the vehicle in time without driver intervention.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  12. DR61

DR61 Member

I own a 2017 XC60 with this system. The manual says it only operates at 50 mph and below. For pedestrians and cyclists it suggests 30 mph and below. It does not say if it brakes to zero mph.

• Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  13. Matt_CRNA

Matt_CRNA Member

Definitely in place to reduce or mitigate front collision damage. Perhaps the AEB algorithm really only applies when Autosteer is off and a human has control of the vehicle?

14. SageBrush

SageBrush 2020: Drain the Sewer

I imagine that Tesla timed how long it takes for an inattentive driver to take over the braking.

• Like x 1
  15. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

I think it is simply the risk of being rear ended.

Some year, these systems will provide some sort of gap management... decide if it is worth running into the car in front to make more space for the car coming in fast from behind..

The automotive talk show guys on the radio in Dallas are always saying how AEB reduces injury BUT constantly harping on how manufactures don't explain that it will not come to a complete stop in many cases... They were not talking about Tesla, they were talking about AEB in general.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  16. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

AEB designed to reduce the severity of the impact? So if it detects a crash and starts applying the brakes does that mean it’s too late and there’s going to be a crash no matter what? Like even if the driver takes over and steps on the brakes as hard as they can, is it too close to the object already and there’s not going to be enough braking distance?

Sounds like AEB reduces impact and cannot avoid it.

17. cizUK

cizUK Member

I'm guessing that if there is a stationary car 5 metres away and you're going 25 mph less than you were 1 second ago, you're going to be pressing that brake pedal fairly hard;)

• Funny x 1
  18. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Yes, that's exactly what it does. If the object you're going to crash into speeds away or if you're able to maneuver around it then you'll avoid the collision, but, for the most part, AEB should only go off if the collision is imminent.

19. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Because
    1) false positives are dangerous
    2) it's not an autonomous car

• Like x 4
  20. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

And just to add to this:

3) Liability.

If they go out saying it's going to 100% stop a car, and you smack into the back of someone, chances are you would hold Tesla liable. And given they can't even stop / move for fixed inanimate objects I would hold my breath for full stop AEB anytime soon.

• Informative x 1