Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on why AEB is designed to only reduce speed by 25mph?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
when is it autopilot slowing you down, and when is it AEB?

There's been a number of occasions where my car has been in autopilot and we've gone from 70 to 40 and sometimes to 0, this wasn't AEB, there was no siren sound, but was strong progressive breaking from AP2. Is it only AEB when they siren and the red car symbol occur?

There's been a number of occasions where my car has been in autopilot and we've gone from 70 to 40 and sometimes to 0, this wasn't AEB, there was no siren sound, but was strong progressive breaking from AP2. Is it only AEB when they siren and the red car symbol occur?
Yes. Plus AEB only activates once a collision is unavoidable. If you haven't crumpled metal, you haven't gotten AEB.

If it AEB slowing you down there is a message that appears on the top of the IC indicating AEB is engaged, I'd have go dig around in the owners manual to find it, but there is a message on the IC when AEB engages.

Plus AEB only activates once a collision is unavoidable. If you haven't crumpled metal, you haven't gotten AEB.

Seems to contradict Tesla's own website. (I added the yellow highlight box in the screenshot below):
Model S | Tesla
upload_2018-4-30_17-47-25.png

The description shown above says "to prevent impact" and the animation shows the Tesla stopping in time to avoid a collision.

Might we be interpreting Tesla's "legalese" description of AEB (where they're careful not to over-promise on its performance) too literally when we say it's incapable of avoiding a crash?

Regardless, Tesla's marketing of AEB does not at all match up with its technical description, which is very troubling.

• Disagree
Reactions: EinSV
And then here is the same graphics but different words. “lessen impact”

View attachment 298033

What page did you find that on? I can only find a page (on both desktop and mobile browsers) with the "prevent impact" wording.

Regardless, even in this alternate wording it says "avoid or lessen impact". That's still a fundamentally different description than what some people on this forum are stating as fact, which is that AEB is incapable of preventing collisions.

I have a Model 3. I have had my AEB kick in at about 50 mph on the freeway. We were in heavy traffic that was stop and go as we came up on a previous accident that was off the side of the road. Immediately after we got past that accident , traffic began to speed up rapidly. I accelerated with traffic but stupidly I was looking over my shoulder at the accident we had passed. I was at around 50 mph (still stupidly looking over my shoulder) when traffic in front suddenly stopped, AEB kicked in very powerfully at which point I looked ahead and had the reaction to apply the brakes myself and stop completely. Basically AEB began the process of avoiding an accident by giving me time/head start for my human senses to make a decision as what to do. In this case, without AEB I would have totally my Model 3. So in this case it worked 100%.

AEB kicked in very powerfully at which point I looked ahead and had the reaction to apply the brakes myself and stop completely.

That’s good to know that it works and doesn’t only “reduce the impact” I like to hear that it can actually help you avoid an accident vs you must crash and AEB will just slow down (reduce) the impact as what others are saying.

So the car started applying the brakes heavily even when you had your foot on the accelerator?
And did it do all the visual and audio warnings?

EuroNCAP crash test cars in EU and have a lot of 3 minute videos of tests where different AEB performances starts at around 2 minutes in.
Volvo XC60 seems solid, stops completely from 70 km/h. Other brands perform differently.

When the Model 3 comes to Europe, I guess we will know...

Link to the channel:
euroncapcom

So the car started applying the brakes heavily even when you had your foot on the accelerator?
And did it do all the visual and audio warnings?
Yes, I believe my foot was on the accelerator though at that moment I was not accelerating hard. And yes, I did get the warning sound as well. It all happened very fast so it is hard to remember everything but I think once I applied the brakes with my foot the AEB let go of the control. All I know is that we definitely would have hit the car in front had it been my 2013 Model S or any other car.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and ebmcs03
Yes, I believe my foot was on the accelerator though at that moment I was not accelerating hard. And yes, I did get the warning sound as well. It all happened very fast so it is hard to remember everything but I think once I applied the brakes with my foot the AEB let go of the control. All I know is that we definitely would have hit the car in front had it been my 2013 Model S or any other car.

Does the seat belt tighten when AEB is activated? It happens on my MB and was strange at first.

EuroNCAP crash test cars in EU and have a lot of 3 minute videos of tests where different AEB performances starts at around 2 minutes in.
Volvo XC60 seems solid, stops completely from 70 km/h. Other brands perform differently.

When the Model 3 comes to Europe, I guess we will know...

Link to the channel:
euroncapcom

Why’s the m3 required for this? The S/X have the exact same system, so what’s the results for the S/X?

Not necessarily.

Terms and Conditions apply: Collision avoidance system - Wikipedia

Informative link, thanks! It illustrates the potential complexity of both the problems and the solutions. Tesla's approach is, perhaps unfortunately, quite limited and simple compared to some of the other manufacturers, presumably because Tesla does not have the deep pockets or the engineering resources to pursue the more sophisticated approaches. Still, I never had a car with WEB before, so I appreciate that my car has at least the basics.