Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on Yoke from Plaid owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, here is a email I just sent to [email protected] in case it is of any value to other owners or potential owners of the Mod S:

Hello, I am an owner of the 2022 Mod S Plaid since Mar 22 and have some feedback after multiple road trips and 5,000 miles.

I am planning on selling my Plaid next week at a 40K loss and buying a Mod 3, which is disappointing because I really like everything about the Plaid minus the yoke. You guys did a really good job on that car.

I have noticed on road trips that the Plaid is the most fatiguing car I have ever driven by far. This is because there is no balance points on the yoke as there is on a 360 degree steering wheel. Also, the driver position can not be easily modified to release blood flow into different parts of the body, as it can with a 360 degree steering wheel.

Over the last Month or so, I have driven my Plaid from Southern CA to WA and from WA to OR several times. It is highly fatiguing to operate manually to the point where I am forced have the autopilot on nearly all the time.

I like the autopilot and I think it does a pretty good job. My problem is that I do not want to be forced into using the autopilot all the time because I can not operate the car in a reasonable or efficient way manually. I was formerly a US Air Force pilot and while automated features such as autopilot are very nice, there is simply no substitute for being able to manually operate the vehicle when needed or wanted. The most dangerous pilots I ever flew with were the ones that had to rely so much on autopilot because there were not very skilled in manually operating the aircraft. Every once in a while the autopilot puts me in a bad position on the road, a position I would not have put myself, and that is going to equate to more accidents over time. This is unacceptable in my opinion. The driver experience becomes exclusively reacting to what the computer is going to do next and this is also fatiguing over long periods of time.

For instance, on my last road trip a couple of days ago, I challenged myself to take the car off autopilot for 5 minutes a couple of time. Within 15 seconds I had the autopilot back on because of how fatiguing the yoke is for long trips. Do you put your hand on the right side? The Left side? Evern worse, do you put you hands on both sides and see which ones weighs do the yoke faster. Also there is no ability so shift driving positions to change blood flow in the body in those positions.

In addition, the car is so much fun to drive and a steering wheel would allow the operator to drive the car more, which is good, enjoyable, and fun with this car.

As stated above, next week I am selling my Plaid at a 40K loss and moving into a Mod 3. I'd really rather not have to do this and I have heard rumblings that a steering wheel replacement option may become available for the Mod S soon. If this it the case, please let me know. I'd hate to sell my Plaid to later find this out because I really like the car otherwise.

As state above, I was a US Air Force pilot for a while so I may have a better sense of human ergonomics and interactions with equipment than most.

Please forward this feedback to the highest level possible and let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thank you for your time, and thank you for helping the world shift to sustainable energy.

Yoke design decisions seem to be driven by cost savings and Tesla's thought process that they can solve all our problems with software, just trust them it's coming soon. Like we've been promised FSD for 6 years now. And automatic wipers that still are not as good as other 20 year old systems.

I love my current MS, but I can't see myself getting a new MS due to the yoke and it's associated changes (no gear stalk, winshield wiper stalk, horn "button" etc.).

And sadly, Telsa isn't going to care about your comments or mine these days. Cause they have "sales" or other things that prove us wrong.

I really want to get another Tesla for my next car, but these recent changes are not sitting well with me. Ugh. :(

Just thought I would try to highlight some of the shortcomings of the yoke as it relates to driving the car manually for extended periods of time in case the autopilot is not working properly or the operator wants to manually drive. I've seen a lot of complaints about the yolk as it relates to slow and tight space maneuvers but it is very bad from an ergonomic standpoint for extended periods of time driving.

So are you saying the only balance point for a round wheel is the top of the wheel (or bottom)? You do know that’s a real no no with airbags, to rest your hand at the top.

I always have AutoPilot on. I find the car very relaxing. But I’ll try it off. I always have it off when not on highway. Doesn’t feel fatiguing.

It’s cheaper to swap the yoke to a wheel than swap to a Model 3. If that truly is your only issue and you love the car otherwise. 3 is ok, I had one. But there is no comparison.

Easier to balance the wheel when you have some options up top and down bottom. The yoke is impossible because you only have one side, the other side, or steer with both which is very fatiguing for long periods of time
So get a wheel. Tons of options out there. Including one that just adds the top and leaves original in tact.

Also don’t believe the $40k loss in todays market. You either have a ton of miles or it’s damaged. Either way you used the value, you didn’t lose it.

If OP took delivery in March, that most likely meant he ordered a year earlier, before all the recent price increases.

Due the current hot market, he should be easily able to sell his car for a nice profit.
At least break even.

Plaids had much shorter waits and many sat in inventory. So he could have easily ordered in Feb and received the car in March and paid a higher price. Some reports of Order to Delivery in as little as a week. Varies by location and what matches.

But still $40K loss, something smells.

Also selling the car only because the Yoke also smells, when there are many options out there. Some more invasive than others.

Firstly, I don't believe you'd lose 40k.

Secondly, why on earth would you sell the car at a 40k loss over the yoke, when you could just change the wheel? Ultimately it's your choice, do what you will with your money and possessions, but your wording suggests that you're selling just because of the yoke and that this rests on Tesla's shoulders (and therefore they are somehow responsible for your 40k bath), when in reality you do have other options...

This is abit sensationalist considering it's actually a pretty simple problem to solve.

Also is this your first Tesla / experience using FSD or EAP?

Last edited:
Yoke design decisions seem to be driven by cost savings and Tesla's thought process that they can solve all our problems with software, just trust them it's coming soon. Like we've been promised FSD for 6 years now. And automatic wipers that still are not as good as other 20 year old systems.

I love my current MS, but I can't see myself getting a new MS due to the yoke and it's associated changes (no gear stalk, winshield wiper stalk, horn "button" etc.).

And sadly, Telsa isn't going to care about your comments or mine these days. Cause they have "sales" or other things that prove us wrong.

I really want to get another Tesla for my next car, but these recent changes are not sitting well with me. Ugh. :(
Why not just change the steering wheel?

Easier to balance the wheel when you have some options up top and down bottom. The yoke is impossible because you only have one side, the other side, or steer with both which is very fatiguing for long periods of time

Put aside the fact that holding the wheel at 12 or 6 is unsafe, at the top/bottom you are reaching across the body and that is unbalanced and flexing muscles to hold it there (unless you are on your side). Holding at 9/3 on the yoke (or a round wheel) balances and is probably more Feng Shui.

It is just dramatic and silly to sell the car for your reported $40k loss just to change out the wheel. There is more to this story.

Sounds like this was not the car for you - you realize it and just want out of it. Move to the 3 and enjoy it.

Put aside the fact that holding the wheel at 12 or 6 is unsafe, at the top/bottom you are reaching across the body and that is unbalanced and flexing muscles to hold it there (unless you are on your side). Holding at 9/3 on the yoke (or a round wheel) balances and is probably more Feng Shui.

It is just dramatic and silly to sell the car for your reported $40k loss just to change out the wheel. There is more to this story.

Sounds like this was not the car for you - you realize it and just want out of it. Move to the 3 and enjoy it.
My guess is the 3 will be gone just as quickly. And lose another $20k of course.

Hey guys, appreciate all the responses here and ideas. I will challenge one thought that people do not put their hands on top of the steering wheel or at least out of 10 and 2 position. Next time that you drive down the freeway look at how many people have their hands on the top portion of the steering wheel I would say it's going to be 98% plus. There's more to the consideration than simply airbags, it's also achieving a comfortable driving positions for long periods of time.

Honestly, I hadn't thought too much about doing the replacement steering wheel because it is not even completely circular and it seems like it would bring up additional issues without stocks and things. In addition it's simply frustrating to me to spend $150,000 on the car and have to do something Mickey mouse as this. I like the model S and I wouldn't be surprised if I get one at some point if they return to a steering wheel.

In terms of losing money, a decent portion of that lost money was simply in taxes and registration that I'm never going to get back. California is pretty high where I bought it. Also I'm just taking it to a dealer and selling it to them because I don't want to mess with selling it private party with a car that expensive. I could probably get another 10 or 15,000 out of it. However, a good 12 to 15,000 was immediately lost due to taxes and registration. As somebody mentioned above as well the wait time for a plaid is next to nothing so I don't think you get the bump that you get with a model 3.

In terms of my experience of full self-driving or autopilot, I'm not going to say I'm the most experienced person in the world but I have driven the car for several thousand mile plus road trips, I've got about 5,000 mi on the car and I was a commercial pilot so I do have an idea on how those kind of automated features work.

Anyway, appreciate the discussion I think it brings up some good points.

For instance, on my last road trip a couple of days ago, I challenged myself to take the car off autopilot for 5 minutes a couple of time. Within 15 seconds I had the autopilot back on because of how fatiguing the yoke is for long trips.

As state above, I was a US Air Force pilot for a while so I may have a better sense of human ergonomics and interactions with equipment than most.

Getting fatigued in 15 seconds?
Hopefully this was not the case when you were a US Air Force pilot!

I also find it odd that this would be your first post.