Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on Yoke from Plaid owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They might introduce variable ratio steering with the CyberTruck and keep the yoke, which would be at least somewhat of an improvement.

As I've said before, I think steer by wire or variable steering will actually make the yoke worse not better. This is because it doesn't fix any of the intrinsic problems that the yoke presents in terms of drivability, controllability, driver ergonomics and so on. It just means when you do lose control of your car under normal driving circumstances because you have one hand pulling the yoke down harder than the other hand you're going to end up in a wreck because it's more sensitive

My hands are always at 5/7. I don't see how this would be any different with the yoke. I think it would be more comfortable since the yoke has a flat bottom so my pinky fingers wouldn't be crowded as they are with the round wheel.
Actually five and seven is going to be quite uncomfortable with the yolk because it puts your hands right on the edge of the corners of the yoke. With the steering wheel your hands fit very nicely on that surface because it's circular. At the five and seven position with the yoke you're going to be in a real dilemma because you either need to put your hand on the side or on the bottom but there's no in between because of the 90° corner. It equates to much less control over the vehicle as compared to holding on to a circular wheel in your lap. I know this for a fact because I just went from a model S to a model 3 and I use autopilot a lot more comfortably in the model 3 because I have a rock solid grip on the wheel palm up in my lap at 4:00. You don't have this with a yoke

Reactions: TessP100D
Pray you never, ever have an oh sh** moment with the yoke that requires rapid hand over hand counter steering corrections. This could happen in everyday driving; tire blowout at speed, accident avoidance maneuver, oversteer while cornering on slick surface. In all of these scenarios the argument over yoke vs round ends.
This, among with so many other problems. I'm going to be really surprised if the yoke does not prove to be vastly more accident-prone over the coming years

Pretty sure Elon’s response would be that the car will just make those corrections automatically for you. Probably this year, definitely by next year.
You got to be able to take control of the automobile at any time. If you cannot properly control the automobile and take it off autopilot at any time you have no business driving a car. In fact ALL OF THE TESLA WARNINGS mandate that you are able to take positive control of the card anytime. The yoke does not allow you to do this nearly as proficiently as the steering wheel

You got to be able to take control of the automobile at any time. If you cannot properly control the automobile and take it off autopilot at any time you have no business driving a car. In fact ALL OF THE TESLA WARNINGS mandate that you are able to take positive control of the card anytime. The yoke does not allow you to do this nearly as proficiently as the steering wheel
*car at

When I got my Audi S6 with flat bottom steering wheel, I thought it was odd but quickly adjusted to using it. 5 months ago I got my MS refreshed with yoke. It is odd but I am getting comfortable driving with the yoke except for the stupid horn position. I even like the turn signal buttons which I don't have to leave the wheel when signaling. I put a a sticky dot over the windshield button to prevent accidental wiper activation. I went into a Lexus show room the other day and saw a concept EV model with yoke. So, any gimmick to attract curious customer is a marketing ploy. Give me back the center button horn and I will stop complaining about yoke.

I must have gotten used to the yoke in record time. I just have a very high adaptation rate.
Took me less than 30 minutes to get a hang of turning and I love the visibility the yoke allows. Turn signals are not a problem for me thankfully.
I couldn't even believe I was doing most of my driving with one hand.

An option for a regular round steering would have been the best for customers.

Reactions: electricar
Sorry - I don't log in too often. Its a custom one-off wheel made my Unleashed Customs in Los Angeles. Here is their Instagram --> Unleashed Customs LLC (@unleashed_customs) • Instagram photos and videos

I can tell you from first hand experience that having a full 360 wheel in the Plaid completes the car. I'm probably in the minority but I drive this vehicle hard, I've done road courses, I go fast around corners, and I've slid the car sideways in track mode and spun it because a grabbed a fistful of air on my counter steer attempt. From that moment on I was on the hunt for a proper wheel. Without a proper steering wheel you have no way to correct snap oversteer or make split second steering corrections reliably. But like I said, I'm in the minority I'm sure.

If you don't plan on driving this car aggressively on anything but a quarter mile - keep the yoke.

Thanks for the link and info! I added it to the thread with a List of Available Yoke Replacements for people that are interested in wheel options.

I must have gotten used to the yoke in record time. I just have a very high adaptation rate.
Took me less than 30 minutes to get a hang of turning and I love the visibility the yoke allows. Turn signals are not a problem for me thankfully.

I thought the yoke was the greatest thing since sliced bread for the first 5 months of ownership. I think it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that it's just fine at first until you get some real mileage with some real different scenarios and some real cross-country trips that you start to slowly realize the shortcomings. That was my experience. About a month and a half ago I was telling everybody I knew how great the yoke was!

I don't think that you're into minority that your yearning for a steering wheel so you can properly operate your automobile
This is not a spacecraft where you need vertical control. In that case I think a yoke would make sense as it does in an airplane but driving is not like this. Driving is a lot of minute movements purely of horizontal control that require the 360° input set of steering wheel offers

Oh please. The yoke is stupid. Unsafe and ridiculous

I expect Musk is sniggering at the controversy this little matter has caused and is causing, because that's who he is.
I can see two reasons to like the yoke: to make the car look airplaney, and ostensibly to give a better view of the IC. (That's debatable,and rather depends on your stature.)
The cons are many: some serious and some not. But overall Tesla have changed a well proven system grounded in years of use, for something without (IMO) any advantages and many disadvantages.
To me the most serious cons are:
1) The horn is in a different position to the "standard". Muscle memory will surface when after a year of never using it....
2) The yoke has a travel of nearly 360 degrees - just like a wheel. All the buttons can be anywhere in the clockface - if anyone can see an advantage to this I'd love to know the thinking.
3) With no blinker stalk - which remains in one position all the time - the blinker button can be anywhere which is actually dangerous. Blinkers are there to advise other drivers of your intentions and every jurisdiction's rules I've found tell a driver to indicate, in particular, leaving a roundabout. Just because many don't isn't a reason not to. I've experimented recently and the roundabout requires 340 degrees of turn of the wheel/yoke: it's bad enough finding the various buttons on the Ss wheel and they aren't essential for safe driving.
4) The car works out whether to go into fwd or rev and gets it right 99% of the time. Again, I'd like to know the "thinking" (my quotes) behind this. Extra hardware and software to cater for screen failure. It's crazy.
If people want to be jet pilot-like in their car and can cope with the physical deficiencies of a yoke then fine, but at least for safety's sake just swap the wheel for a yoke and keep all the rest, stalks, horn etc unchanged.

This thread is a helpful one to deal with the stupid button design for the yoke, which you inherit if you swap out a wheel like I did. It doesn't make up for losing the stalks but it does make it easier to find the buttons in a tactile manner. Much easier to get the horn.

For my left and right turn signals, I offset the buttons as much as I could to make it easier to tell by feel and not just higher or lower. I also used the buttons on my console gear shift to make it where I can select forward and reverse totally without looking at anything. I can cover the buttons to easily select reverse.

Beginning of thread is here if you haven't seen it:

My post on how to improve the gear selector is here:
My approach is to give the S a 2-finger salute (press both wheel buttons but not long enough for a reboot) and it will illuminate the gear shift buttons on the console. I have used the clear buttons for Reverse, hazard lights and Forward. So if I need a quick directional change and I am at slow enough speed the process goes as follows:
  • 2 finger salute
  • Touch rightmost button for reverse
  • Touch leftmost button for forward
  • Alternate as needed for a quick 3 point turn
It doesn't replace the stalks but it makes it a lot more usable and I can fairly quickly find reverse if I am nosing out into a blind intersection and need to backup in a hurry. Hopefully this well help someone and the post below shows what I did.

Reactions: _Redshift_
I expect Musk is sniggering at the controversy this little matter has caused and is causing, because that's who he is.
I can see two reasons to like the yoke: to make the car look airplaney, and ostensibly to give a better view of the IC. (That's debatable,and rather depends on your stature.)
The cons are many: some serious and some not. But overall Tesla have changed a well proven system grounded in years of use, for something without (IMO) any advantages and many disadvantages.
To me the most serious cons are:
1) The horn is in a different position to the "standard". Muscle memory will surface when after a year of never using it....
2) The yoke has a travel of nearly 360 degrees - just like a wheel. All the buttons can be anywhere in the clockface - if anyone can see an advantage to this I'd love to know the thinking.
3) With no blinker stalk - which remains in one position all the time - the blinker button can be anywhere which is actually dangerous. Blinkers are there to advise other drivers of your intentions and every jurisdiction's rules I've found tell a driver to indicate, in particular, leaving a roundabout. Just because many don't isn't a reason not to. I've experimented recently and the roundabout requires 340 degrees of turn of the wheel/yoke: it's bad enough finding the various buttons on the Ss wheel and they aren't essential for safe driving.
4) The car works out whether to go into fwd or rev and gets it right 99% of the time. Again, I'd like to know the "thinking" (my quotes) behind this. Extra hardware and software to cater for screen failure. It's crazy.
If people want to be jet pilot-like in their car and can cope with the physical deficiencies of a yoke then fine, but at least for safety's sake just swap the wheel for a yoke and keep all the rest, stalks, horn etc unchanged.
For those who considered the yoke stupid, what does it say to those who spent over $100K for a vehicle with this stupid design? Don't they know what they are buying?

• Disagree
Reactions: _Redshift_
This thread is a helpful one to deal with the stupid button design for the yoke, which you inherit if you swap out a wheel like I did. It doesn't make up for losing the stalks but it does make it easier to find the buttons in a tactile manner. Much easier to get the horn.

For my left and right turn signals, I offset the buttons as much as I could to make it easier to tell by feel and not just higher or lower. I also used the buttons on my console gear shift to make it where I can select forward and reverse totally without looking at anything. I can cover the buttons to easily select reverse.

Beginning of thread is here if you haven't seen it:

My post on how to improve the gear selector is here:
My approach is to give the S a 2-finger salute (press both wheel buttons but not long enough for a reboot) and it will illuminate the gear shift buttons on the console. I have used the clear buttons for Reverse, hazard lights and Forward. So if I need a quick directional change and I am at slow enough speed the process goes as follows:
  • 2 finger salute
  • Touch rightmost button for reverse
  • Touch leftmost button for forward
  • Alternate as needed for a quick 3 point turn
It doesn't replace the stalks but it makes it a lot more usable and I can fairly quickly find reverse if I am nosing out into a blind intersection and need to backup in a hurry. Hopefully this well help someone and the post below shows what I did.

I came up with a memory tool to help me remember the direction of the turn signals while I was driving my plaid. The lower turn signal is left so think " lower left" and then you should be able to deduce the right turn signal from there. Extremely unfortunate that you have to resort to such mantics to drive the model S but it is the reality. Obviously in stressful situations and when you're fatigued and tired driving the car it's important to remember these little tricks so you don't completely confuse drivers by putting the wrong turn signal on. DEFINITELY ONE OF THE HUGE SAFETY ISSUES OF MANY WITH THE YOKE. BUYER BEWARE!

For those who considered the yoke stupid, what does it say to those who spent over $100K for a vehicle with this stupid design? Don't they know what they are buying?

Ah, just because someone paid a lot of money doesn’t mean they paid attention to every single detail before buying.

I paid a combined $200K for my cars. I am not planning to buy an S because it has the yoke. That’s the main reason.

Reactions: TessP100D