Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thread Naming Conventions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I'd like to reserve the title "Supercharger - name-of-location" for actual confirmed locations.

For speculative / "promised" but not confirmed locations I'd like to use the naming "Possible Location - name-of-location". They can be renamed if construction actually starts.

As we've seen, "promised" locations can and do disappear. A local example for me is the Renfrew, ON location.

Sometimes it is a judgement call, e.g. if a town says they're working with Tesla to establish a site. Even having a building permit is not a guarantee! Sometimes there is construction activity but it is uncertain whether it's actually a Supercharger or, say, a Chademo site.

I'm not going to be able to go through all of the threads in this section, so if you notice inappropriately named locations please flag them to me.

Thanks
- mod

I'd like to reserve the title "Supercharger - name-of-location" for actual confirmed locations.

For speculative / "promised" but not confirmed locations I'd like to use the naming "Possible Location - name-of-location". They can be renamed if construction actually starts.

As we've seen, "promised" locations can and do disappear. A local example for me is the Renfrew, ON location.

Sometimes it is a judgement call, e.g. if a town says they're working with Tesla to establish a site. Even having a building permit is not a guarantee! Sometimes there is construction activity but it is uncertain whether it's actually a Supercharger or, say, a Chademo site.

I'm not going to be able to go through all of the threads in this section, so if you notice inappropriately named locations please flag them to me.

Thanks
- mod
Good idea. A few things left hanging though:
  • Would you merge multiple threads into that model? (A request)
  • Once a Supercharger site is confirmed, do you rename the speculative thread to the location thread, or maintain separate threads? (A question)
  • Do you pull individual messages from the "Western Canada..." (etc.) threads? (A question)
  • Is the jurisdiction involved just the Canadian threads or site-wide?
I'm sure there are other questions that will come up...

I suggested about a year ago that we start threads for all existing superchargers in Canada (and then probably have Marco link to them on supercharge.info) rather than have the info for some superchargers mixed in to hundreds of pages long threads such as "Western Canada superchargers." I was surprised that I got some blowback at the time for the suggestion. With only 107 active superchargers (and most of them already having threads), it wouldn't clutter the forum much and it would make information easier to find. It isn't going to get any easier to find that info when the next hundred superchargers open up.

Now someone is starting threads for locations that merely have a pin on the Tesla map which we all know to be less than reliable. I personally don't think these threads should be started until there is at least a sign of construction or a permit is found.

What I would suggest is a big thread, possibly a sticky, for supercharger location speculation like the ones you see on the California forum (for northern and southern CA). For Canada it should probably be split up along the lines of Western Canada, Ontario, and Eastern Canada. Maybe Quebec and Atlantic Canada could get their own threads, but there won't be too many locations so one thread might be fine. The idea being that most owners in BC don't really care about new superchargers in Nova Scotia and vice versa.

• Love
Reactions: malou and XHabjab
I suggested about a year ago that we start threads for all existing superchargers in Canada (and then probably have Marco link to them on supercharge.info) rather than have the info for some superchargers mixed in to hundreds of pages long threads such as "Western Canada superchargers." I was surprised that I got some blowback at the time for the suggestion. With only 107 active superchargers (and most of them already having threads), it wouldn't clutter the forum much and it would make information easier to find. It isn't going to get any easier to find that info when the next hundred superchargers open up.

Now someone is starting threads for locations that merely have a pin on the Tesla map which we all know to be less than reliable. I personally don't think these threads should be started until there is at least a sign of construction or a permit is found.

What I would suggest is a big thread, possibly a sticky, for supercharger location speculation like the ones you see on the California forum (for northern and southern CA). For Canada it should probably be split up along the lines of Western Canada, Ontario, and Eastern Canada. Maybe Quebec and Atlantic Canada could get their own threads, but there won't be too many locations so one thread might be fine. The idea being that most owners in BC don't really care about new superchargers in Nova Scotia and vice versa.

Speculation should only be in the relevant "Eastern", "Atlantic", "Western" and "Mid-Canada" threads (already pinned).

Once, there is a permit, construction or open status, it should be its own thread. (I am not good myself at following that rule).

Suggested naming convention (as a copy paste of california): Supercharger - Location Name (status)

Status = open or permit or construction.

But again, it really should be someone visiting this subforum often taking care of this.

Reactions: malou and PLUS EV
Managing this forum is like herding kittens at the best of times, and I don't have as much time to devote to this these days.

There are a bunch of things we could do, such as having a master index wiki thread. However, there is no point in even starting one unless somebody is going to commit to maintaining it.

Speculation about supercharger locations rightfully belongs in the Eastern/Mid/Western threads. However, if there is speculation about a very specific location I don't have a problem with a separate thread being created to keep it all together... as long as it is labeled appropriately. Thus "Possible Location". No problem with creating a separate "Speculation" thread, if you want to talk about a specific region.

The "Supercharger - " title should definitely be reserved for confirmed sites. Note, however, that we have seen confirmed sites disappear in the past.

• Informative
Reactions: Mayoo and Chuq
I suggested about a year ago that we start threads for all existing superchargers in Canada (and then probably have Marco link to them on supercharge.info) rather than have the info for some superchargers mixed in to hundreds of pages long threads such as "Western Canada superchargers."

Suggested naming convention (as a copy paste of california): Supercharger - Location Name (status)

Speculation about supercharger locations rightfully belongs in the Eastern/Mid/Western threads. However, if there is speculation about a very specific location I don't have a problem with a separate thread being created to keep it all together... as long as it is labeled appropriately. Thus "Possible Location". No problem with creating a separate "Speculation" thread, if you want to talk about a specific region.

So to sum up, one thread per pin on the Tesla Map and add a "(status)" to each place, including a "Speculation" or "planned" one when construction has been seen but not confirmed to be Tesla or no construction yet, but lots of gossip? All other threads can't include "Supercharger" in the name?

I never visited the California forum, but this looks good to me.

I also see the benefit of "Possible location - Location", but it would be delicate to determine when to rename it, and act on it.

Reactions: Mayoo
I recommend following the established naming convention in the California Supercharger forum. @bmah, the moderator, updates threads with PERMIT, CONSTRUCTION and LIVE with the date as they make progress. This relies on active moderation to maintain, but it's certainly doable and quite helpful in identifying a location's status just by looking at the thread title.

I recommend following the established naming convention in the California Supercharger forum. @bmah, the moderator, updates threads with PERMIT, CONSTRUCTION and LIVE with the date as they make progress. This relies on active moderation to maintain, but it's certainly doable and quite helpful in identifying a location's status just by looking at the thread title.
I would definitely support using the California naming convention; I find the reference to status, stall count, dates to be quite useful.

My only question would be for sites that have not reached the Permit or Construction stage. Like the one at Valleyview AB that just appeared on the Tesla "Find Us" map. If a prospective site has been included on the Tesla map, I would see no problem in creating a separate thread at that point (although that would be out-of-step with the approach on Supercharge.info

I'd be prepared to take on updating the title for existing threads for Superchargers in BC (and perhaps others as well) but presume that changing the name of threads cannot be done by the typical forum member.

@Big Earl @Doug_G

I would definitely support using the California naming convention; I find the reference to status, stall count, dates to be quite useful.

My only question would be for sites that have not reached the Permit or Construction stage. Like the one at Valleyview AB that just appeared on the Tesla "Find Us" map. If a prospective site has been included on the Tesla map, I would see no problem in creating a separate thread at that point (although that would be out-of-step with the approach on Supercharge.info

I'd be prepared to take on updating the title for existing threads for Superchargers in BC (and perhaps others as well) but presume that changing the name of threads cannot be done by the typical forum member.

@Big Earl @Doug_G

For those upcoming threads that have not yet made it to the permit or construction phases, I'd just stick with the regular "Supercharger - City - Street, State/Province" format. The title can be amended when progress is made.

That said, I'm not typically a fan of starting threads for sites that show up on the Coming Soon page, as they are frequently devoid of details... I prefer to see threads get started when there's actually something to discuss. We supercharge.info editors typically try to comb through every new post in these Supercharger discussion forums on a daily basis, so keeping threads and posts to active site discussion is enormously helpful.

Last edited:
For those upcoming threads that have not yet made it to the permit or construction phases, I'd just stick with the regular "Supercharger - City - Street, State/Province" format. The title can be amended when progress is made.

That said, I'm not typically a fan of starting threads for sites that show up on the Coming Soon page, as they are frequently devoid of details... I prefer to see threads get started when there's actually something to discuss. We supercharge.info editors typically try to comb through every new post in these Supercharger discussion forums on a daily basis, so keeping threads and posts to active site discussion is enormously helpful.
I generally agree with your thoughts about starting threads for sites that Tesla has identified for possible future Superchargers. In most cases the potential sites are in urban areas where there are often existing sites nearby. Sometimes the Coming Soon sites do generate a higher level of interest when they open up new routes or fill lengthy gaps between current sites. In my area (living on the fringes of the Supercharger network) those sites would include ones like Clearwater, Valemount, McBride and Valleyview AB.