Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thread watched Can I make LAUNCH MODE available without heating battery - Also Display actual power output without Ludicrous+ enabled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Three thoughts/wishes:

Enable Launch Mode without having to heat the battery all the way to 50 degrees. Launch Mode should be available any time the car is in regular Ludicrous mode (given the battery is not frozen). Is there a way to enable this?

Also, I like the detailed power display showing the max power for the two different motors once Ludicrous+ warms up - is there a way to show this WITHOUT going into Ludicrous+ mode?

Finally: What are the best settings for maximum acceleration? Will 'Drag Strip' mode from the new software be available on 2020 and older Model S cars or just the new Plaid models? I assume Drag Strip mode will make all of the modifications needed for max acceleration with just the press of one button - which is awesome.

Answers:

(1) Yes you can enable launch mode without having the heat the battery all the way up to 50 degrees. Activate Ludicrous+ Acceleration Mode and you get access to Launch Mode right away while heating continues.

(2) Detailed Power Display is only available once Ludicrous + mode is fully activated with both the Accleration Mode and the ToyBox mode and the battery heated fully. No other way to see the detailed power display.

(3) Drag Strip mode may only come with the Plaid version of the Model S. There's no indication that it will be offered on the older P100D or the Performance Model of the S/X

For maximum acceleration on the drag strip with a Model S P100D, I normally do the following

(1) Set it to Low Suspension all the time
(2) Turn in the side windows
(3) Turn on Ludicrous + Acceleration Mode and wait for fully heated battery pack
(4) Turn on Ludicrous + Toy Box feature and wait for fully heated battery pack
(5) Close all your windows and sunroof (which is normally a mandatory to be on the drag strip)
(6) Practice how to use launch mode on the drag strip with the tree. More time is needed to stage with Cheetah Mode with the new Model S Performance from what I've seen on You Tube videos. I have the older P100D, so no Cheetah mode here.
(7) Remove all of you're stuff from your Model S (including the mats). The lighter then better. Even 0.1 seconds count on the drag strip.
(8) Someone said to drop your tire pressure a few psi down. I've never done that yet.
(9) Make sure you're at 100% SOC or as close as possible for your 1st run down the strip
(10) Make sure Range Mode is turned off. I also turn off HVAC so I don't waste any power with it if I want multiple runs (after each run open the windows to air out the cabin so you don't start to fog up your interior since HVAC is off).
(11) I try to take the last exit on the strip so I can regain as much as possible. It may help very little, but every little bit of re-gen counts if you are planning on multiple runs.
(12) Drive around the water patch as you stage.
(13) Don't go eating a large meal just before an event. Every bit of extra weight can slow you down even a few milliseconds. Empty your bladder as well 😀

Others may have more advise as well.

Answers:

(1) Yes you can enable launch mode without having the heat the battery all the way up to 50 degrees. Activate Ludicrous+ Acceleration Mode and you get access to Launch Mode right away while heating continues.

(2) Detailed Power Display is only available once Ludicrous + mode is fully activated with both the Accleration Mode and the ToyBox mode and the battery heated fully. No other way to see the detailed power display.

(3) Drag Strip mode may only come with the Plaid version of the Model S. There's no indication that it will be offered on the older P100D or the Performance Model of the S/X

For maximum acceleration on the drag strip with a Model S P100D, I normally do the following

(1) Set it to Low Suspension all the time
(2) Turn in the side windows
(3) Turn on Ludicrous + Acceleration Mode and wait for fully heated battery pack
(4) Turn on Ludicrous + Toy Box feature and wait for fully heated battery pack
(5) Close all your windows and sunroof (which is normally a mandatory to be on the drag strip)
(6) Practice how to use launch mode on the drag strip with the tree. More time is needed to stage with Cheetah Mode with the new Model S Performance from what I've seen on You Tube videos. I have the older P100D, so no Cheetah mode here.
(7) Remove all of you're stuff from your Model S (including the mats). The lighter then better. Even 0.1 seconds count on the drag strip.
(8) Someone said to drop your tire pressure a few psi down. I've never done that yet.
(9) Make sure you're at 100% SOC or as close as possible for your 1st run down the strip
(10) Make sure Range Mode is turned off. I also turn off HVAC so I don't waste any power with it if I want multiple runs (after each run open the windows to air out the cabin so you don't start to fog up your interior since HVAC is off).
(11) I try to take the last exit on the strip so I can regain as much as possible. It may help very little, but every little bit of re-gen counts if you are planning on multiple runs.
(12) Drive around the water patch as you stage.
(13) Don't go eating a large meal just before an event. Every bit of extra weight can slow you down even a few milliseconds. Empty your bladder as well 😀

Others may have more advise as well.
#2 - The rear view mirrors?

#3-4 - so you heat it up to full heat with regular L+, and THEN activate the toybox warp one? Just starting with the toybox one wont get to the 55 degrees?

#9 - gonna have to charge the car WHILE heating up I guess. Problem is, the track is a few MILES away, and I don't have a trailer for the car, so I am going to be at like 90% by the time I get there, wait, and get staged.

Too bad the strip doesn't have a charge station for use between runs.

Here is hoping that version 11 of the software DOES introduce 'drag mode' for older models. Would be nice to hit ONE button that accomplished most of the things above!

#2 - The rear view mirrors?

#3-4 - so you heat it up to full heat with regular L+, and THEN activate the toybox warp one? Just starting with the toybox one wont get to the 55 degrees?

#9 - gonna have to charge the car WHILE heating up I guess. Problem is, the track is a few MILES away, and I don't have a trailer for the car, so I am going to be at like 90% by the time I get there, wait, and get staged.

Too bad the strip doesn't have a charge station for use between runs.

Here is hoping that version 11 of the software DOES introduce 'drag mode' for older models. Would be nice to hit ONE button that accomplished most of the things above!

#2 should have bee Side View Mirrors. Typo on my part.

#3-4 I turn on the acceleration mode first followed by the Toy Box mode while charging to 100%. Depending on the temperature outside, you need to account for extra time to charge to 100% SOC and have the Ludicrous + mode fully engage. For me, the distance between the Supercharger and Drag Strip is around 5% off the SOC, so I usually get there around 95%. I've had a friend who have called for a flat bed from the charging station to take then to the drag strip. Remember, that to maintain Ludicrous + (both the acceleration mode and the Toy Box mode), you need to be in the drivers seat, so during the flat bed to the drag strip, both modes will turn of, and the battery will begin to cool down.

Do you not have different 'modes'? I have Comfort, Sport, Custom etc etc that I can adjust the suspension to for the 'ride'.... wondering if any of these make a difference in terms of 0-60 and 1/4 mile.
Nope. Pre Raven (which is mine) we have heights for suspension (low, normal, high, very high). For the drag, I use low.

The Raven's have a fully customizable suspension which appears to be yours.

So, finally made it to the track today. I decided NOT to remove anything from the car like mats etc because I wanted to see what my times were as I drive the car normally.

By the time I got there, I only had 92% charge.

Made 4 runs, best time was the first time (and using launch control) @ 10.6 seconds.

Not to bad considering nothing was out of the car, and I had to wear a silly helmet... :)