Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Threading the USB cable for the radio...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am replacing the radio, and the new one has "Android Play", so I need to plug it in. But the cable is USB-C.

Two questions:
1. Before I break things with force (as I did the GSM antenna)... Is the microphone easily removable? It is just snapped in? I can't see or feel what is holding the little cover in place, even from behind. I would like to replace it with the microphone that came with the radio.
mic.jpg

2. A bigger problem, I need to replace the USB cable that will connect to my phone.
The original radio had a USB cable, which was grey. Seen here. But it never seemed to work...
Kimg0052.jpg

And the other end... doesn't appear to be the other end! Because it's a different color.
Kimg0053.jpg

(Also, oddly enough, it's feeding toward the back of the car...?)

So, I was able to feed the new USB-C cable down the same gap that the microphone cable feeds through. but that's it...
Kimg0054.jpg Kimg0055.jpg
I would like to get it all the way back to the console where the existing cable is.
If that is too big of a task, I'd just like to get it coiled up, and lay in front of the 12VDC power plug under the center console.
As visible in the photo, I was able to remove the cover where the seat heater buttons are, but after removing that single screw, I can't get the shifter button console to lift up.

Is there an easy way to:
A. - get the cable from the upper part of the dash to underneath? Is the gap where the Microphone cable the only/best option?
B - get the cable to the location where the existing USB and audio plugs are on the center console? Or just down to the 12VDC plug under the shifter?

Any advice would be appreciated.

-Scotty

Last edited:
Which radio are you putting in?
I currently have a Kenwood that I HATE with a passion!!!!

You could look into removing that whole center trim - which should expose the wires for the USB cable.

I also disliked the Kenwood. I thought it would be an improvement over the Alpine, but I still didn't like the small screen buttons. But I really like the new Pioneer 4400 so far (after one day, and not much using it yet)...

I solved both problems myself.
On the mic, you just pop the little cover off. The mic was held in with a tie wrap. I slid the old one out, and slid the new one it.
On the USB Cable, I was able to slide it over to the passenger airbag, then thread it down next to the glove box. If you unscrew the two side screws in the glove box, you can actually "roll out" the whole glove box. That let me thread the USB cable around the back of the glove box, and down a small hole that comes out next to the VMS, which is above the foot well. From there, I just pinch the wire along the shifter button console to the back.

Sorry. No pictures. I didn't think of that while doing this.

I bought a Pioneer W4400
(Quick plug for the vendor, they are very helpful: Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX )

The screen buttons are finally large! Making it less likely that you hit the wrong one.
I'm still learning it, and syncing it to my phone. The Android Play works when the phone is plugged in. The Bluetooth between my phone and it is not working out, but when plugged in, it doesn't matter. I can use phone, gps, pandora, etc... No GPS screen in the unit itself, instead it uses the Google Maps, which is really nice. But it's got a GPS antenna... I don't know why. Also, I didn't buy/install XM, since I never use it.

Scotty