Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Threads not getting marked as read

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, I am pretty sure you always had to refresh the page for visible threads to get marked as already viewed. We don't have realtime updated of read/unread status on a thread list.
This started happening today, and is still happening now. Before today, opening the thread would mark it as read when I returned to the view, no refresh required. I didn’t update either Safari or iOS yesterday, so it must be something on the site.

Is this the first time this happened to you?

Anyone else experiencing this?
Same issue here. Two days ago it worked fine, but I think the issue started after the last site maintenace yesterday.
In the past when I hit the blue “back button“ on the top left corner in safari the tread was marked as read in Safari on my ipad (ios 15.7] Now I need to refresh the page by hitting the half round arrow in the address bar.

Another related change: when you use the Alerts icon to show a list of alerts and tap one to read the post, after using the browser back button the list of alerts is still visible. Previously you had to tap the icon again to show the list.

I’m guessing the old code was doing an automatic refresh when you used the browser back button, but the new code isn’t.

Reactions: swaltner
We continue to look into this issue, but it seems that the prior way that it functioned (which is also what participants in this thread prefer) was actually a bug of some sort. Apparently, the core software is not designed to auto-refresh when hitting the back button. This is unfortunate, as it makes it a harder issue to rectify.

With the Android TMC app, leaving and reentering the forum seems to bring the read flags up to date.
What about if you force a page refresh by swiping down while at the top of the page?

This is not a bug but how the software was designed to work (for whatever reasons that developers have). We still have no idea why it worked differently before as the developers deny that it ever worked differently, even though we have proven that it did. All that being said, we are not happy with this as it is not good practice to change this type of behavior. We are sorry for the inconvenience that it may cause, but isn't much we can do without us have to mess with core aspects of how the software works, which can lead to other bigger issues down the road that we prefer to avoid.