Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thredbo/ Snowy Mountains in 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys I am taking the fam to Thredbo at the end of June. Haven't been for 25 years and certainly not in an EV. I found a few posts but they are fairly old now. Has anyone been up there recently (last 12 months or so?). We will be taking my wife's 250WH/KM Model X...

The charging options in Thredbo appear very limited (and nothing for the general public). I am planning to charge to 100% at Cooma on the way in and then hope to keep the car warm enough in undercover parking to have sufficient electrons at the end of 5 days to get back down the hill again to Cooma. (I will trickle charge if possible in the condo carpark but can't rely on that). ABRP says I should be at 60% on arrival in Thredbo. I figure that drops to say, 50% over the 5 days. In which case ABRP says that will see me at Cooma at 34%... Of course if we have to put chains on then all this math goes out the window...

Are there any other options own Thredbo that I am missing/ are not showing up on Plugshare?

Any recent intel appreciated :)

I am planning to charge to 100% at Cooma on the way in and then hope to keep the car warm enough in undercover parking to have sufficient electrons at the end of 5 days to get back down the hill again to Cooma.
You probably already saw this on ABRP but as well as the Supercharger in Cooma there are two 350kW ChargeFox (needs an app on your phone, $32c/kWh for NRMA members) chargers at the north end of Cooma in the carpark for Snowy Hydro’s “discovery centre” (visitor centre and cafe / their coffee and cakes are pretty good!). Main risk with the Cooma Supercharger there is it can be ICEd as there is specific signage at the bays that non-Teslas are allowed to park there for up to an hour and they are right near the entrance to the Coles supermarket… Obviously you can’t guarantee that the ChargeFox chargers will be free or working but at least they are another choice.

The two 50kW NRMA chargers in Jindabyne are good but they are pretty close to the back of Nuggets Crossing shops and hence “convenient” to be ICEd by people wanting to go to the shops (or simply other EVs charging there for free while shopping or browsing).

I’d love to have some other options for you - I have vested interest too because I am a shareholder in a lodge in Smiggins with outdoor parking (for which any sort of on-site charging capability is approaching total impossibility).

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
You probably already saw this on ABRP but as well as the Supercharger in Cooma there are two 350kW ChargeFox (needs an app on your phone, $32c/kWh for NRMA members) chargers at the north end of Cooma in the carpark for Snowy Hydro’s “discovery centre” (visitor centre and cafe / their coffee and cakes are pretty good!). Main risk with the Cooma Supercharger there is it can be ICEd as there is specific signage at the bays that non-Teslas are allowed to park there for up to an hour and they are right near the entrance to the Coles supermarket… Obviously you can’t guarantee that the ChargeFox chargers will be free or working but at least they are another choice.

The two 50kW NRMA chargers in Jindabyne are good but they are pretty close to the back of Nuggets Crossing shops and hence “convenient” to be ICEd by people wanting to go to the shops (or simply other EVs charging there for free while shopping or browsing).

I’d love to have some other options for you - I have vested interest too because I am a shareholder in a lodge in Smiggins with outdoor parking (for which any sort of on-site charging capability is approaching total impossibility).
Thanks Ted. Yeah I have the Chargefox app and saw those chargers. But, was really only planning on using the Superchargers in Cooma. But your ponts are well made and will keep this in mind. I had my car upgraded to take the CCS2 but not my wife’s car - I guess I had better get that done. I really don’t need any dramas on this trip...

BTW - I know there are different opinions on here about this, but inviting ICE cars to park in the charging bays is insane. They can park and fuel anywhere whereas we risk being stranded. And god knows the ICE cars don’t need any encouragement. Tesla needs to secure sites for charging where they don’t have to cow tow to bloody minded property managers.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
BTW - I know there are different opinions on here about this, but inviting ICE cars to park in the charging bays is insane. They can park and fuel anywhere whereas we risk being stranded.
I don’t have a photo of the signs (explicitly permitting any cars to park in the Cooma Supercharger bays for up to an hour) but they were definitely there as recently as 3 weeks ago when I last charged there. I may be in Cooma briefly in the next couple of days (and if so will be charging there) so I will try to photograph and post the sign as at least a discussion point in here.

I completely agree with you as far as the risk of the only really fast charging between Canberra and the snowfields (at least until the ChargeFox chargers were commissioned fairly recently) being blocked by ICE cars with explicit permission. I mean you can’t do anything but ask an owner nicely as they are completely within their rights to use the spot for an hour.

Reactions: Jjdsyd
As a user of the Cooma Supercharger at all times day and night I have never seen all spots blocked. Except for a TOCA run it is rare to see more than 2 Teslas charging there at the same time.
I have used the Chargefox chargers on the north side of town but only during the day when the cafe is open. The Superchargers are better located.
I try and avoid using the Monaro Highway on Friday and Sunday evenings during the ski season, man you see some scary driving.

As a user of the Cooma Supercharger at all times day and night I have never seen all spots blocked. Except for a TOCA run it is rare to see more than 2 Teslas charging there at the same time.
True, but there's twice as many Teslas here now than there were last winter - and last year's ski season was pretty COVID-affected. I expect the Cooma Superchargers to cop a lot more use in the next few months than they've seen previously.

I try and avoid using the Monaro Highway on Friday and Sunday evenings during the ski season, man you see some scary driving.
Sunday evening on the Monaro is the worst, I have never seen driving so reckless on any other road at any other time.

True, but there's twice as many Teslas here now than there were last winter - and last year's ski season was pretty COVID-affected. I expect the Cooma Superchargers to cop a lot more use in the next few months than they've seen previously.

Sunday evening on the Monaro is the worst, I have never seen driving so reckless on any other road at any other time.
Yikes. I can imagine. I’ll be arriving Sat and departing Thursday... 🤞