Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three car seats??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

Our family of five, which includes three preschool/toddler aged kids, is in the market for a new car. Currently we have a 5-series and just returned an Acura MDX. Both fit three narrow car seats (Diono or similar, 2 forward, 1 rear) across the back row. The MDX had a third row but we almost never used it because it would have been painful to climb back there to buckle/unbuckle kids.

I want to take the plunge on an EV and Model Y checks all of the boxes except for being a little small in the rear. Has anyone tried fitting three car seats across the rear yet? I've seen videos with three seats in the rear of Model 3 but understand the Y is ~2" narrower based on the specs. Other options are a CPO S with rear facing seats or a used Model X, but I like the efficiency and range of the Y over the older models. Also have a CT reservation but likely need to make a decision before that becomes a possibility.

Hi, I tried doing a booster with a back, another backless booster, and a reverse facing car seat without the base and they all sorta fit into the back row, but only the booster with the back was latched. The other reverse facing car seat was secured with the seat belt across the front and the other backless booster was pushed off to the side and over the padding. So, technically yes the MY can fit 3 car seats across, but it's kinda sketchy and semi questionable.

Hello All,

Our family of five, which includes three preschool/toddler aged kids, is in the market for a new car. Currently we have a 5-series and just returned an Acura MDX. Both fit three narrow car seats (Diono or similar, 2 forward, 1 rear) across the back row. The MDX had a third row but we almost never used it because it would have been painful to climb back there to buckle/unbuckle kids.

I want to take the plunge on an EV and Model Y checks all of the boxes except for being a little small in the rear. Has anyone tried fitting three car seats across the rear yet? I've seen videos with three seats in the rear of Model 3 but understand the Y is ~2" narrower based on the specs. Other options are a CPO S with rear facing seats or a used Model X, but I like the efficiency and range of the Y over the older models. Also have a CT reservation but likely need to make a decision before that becomes a possibility.

Hi DH04,

Ehat did you decide? If you purchased the Y, which car seats do you use?

We are a family of four and are expecting one more this spring. We're also considering a Model Y five seat configuration (I'd like the performance version if we get a Y).

Your experience would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi DH04,

Ehat did you decide? If you purchased the Y, which car seats do you use?

We are a family of four and are expecting one more this spring. We're also considering a Model Y five seat configuration (I'd like the performance version if we get a Y).

Your experience would be greatly appreciated!!

Not sure if you've seen this post, but someone posted a picture indicating s/he was able to fit three car seats in his/her Model Y (https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/i9uny1/3_kids_still_in_car_seats_no_problem_in_the_my/).

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
@Orbsitron I have three car seats installed in mine (MY) right now. Two Diono Radian 3RXT forward facing and a Britax Boulevard Clicktight rear facing.

I can send a photo if you want.

When I test drove the Model 3 vs the Y, the Y had significantly more room in the rear seat area than the Model 3 (definitely legroom and felt like shoulder room as well).

• Love
Reactions: Orbsitron
@Orbsitron I have three car seats installed in mine (MY) right now. Two Diono Radian 3RXT forward facing and a Britax Boulevard Clicktight rear facing.

I can send a photo if you want.

When I test drove the Model 3 vs the Y, the Y had significantly more room in the rear seat area than the Model 3 (definitely legroom and felt like shoulder room as well).
Thank you!! I bought two Diono Radian 3R's this week. I'm going to try to see if they will fit with my existing Nuna Pippa. Wish me luck :)

Reactions: Magnetic Flux
I haven’t tried in the Y but we had 3 front facing Cleks side by side in the 3 a few times (carpooling a young kid). Those seats are tall but narrow. Was a while ago, can’t find a picture.
If you are teetering between car model choices, I strongly suggest getting on Turo and renting for 2 days each all the models you are interested in.