Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three Idiots in a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

S4WRXTTCS

May 3, 2015
Snohomish, WA
Now that wouldn't be the actual title of the show, but I've been thinking a lot lately that a TV show centered around the adventures in an Electric car would be pretty cool.

Where we put three people in a Model X, and had them tour parts of the US/Canada, Europe, or China. It wouldn't be a scripted show for the most part, but might have some scripted elements when it was important to inject an element (education, comedy, etc) into the show.

I see it serving a purpose of not just entertaining people, but to educate them as well. To show them that adventures are indeed possible in an Electric car.

Part of my idea is to document this moment in transportation history. The moment where electric cars and automation started to really take off. To document what the experience is like as AP 2.0 is updated every few months. To show how it impacts the experience. The good; the bad, and the ugly of it.

It would also serve the owners of Tesla vehicles in educating non-Tesla owners about what the experience is like. To showcase the importance of superchargers, and to show them what Plugshare is. To record the more wild west like experience of calling someone to ask to use their charger when it was necessary to get somewhere.

I wouldn't want it to be pro-Tesla, or anti-Tesla. Instead the show would simply convey how things are, and to allow the viewer to decide for themselves.

I'd also like it to showcase other transportation methods that are electric. Like on the Grand Tour they showed some rocket skates, but just as something to poke fun of. To say they'd brake your leg.

I'd like to create a pilot of the show to see if anyone would pick it up. There are a lot of avenues these days for TV shows so I could see it potentially having a chance. Of course the trick would be to try to minimize the budget for the pilot while also maximizing the quality.

I'm curious what other people think.

there is already a show like that, grand tour, successor to top gear, just get them to do a show on EVs

It's certainly going to borrow from Top Gear, and the Grand Tour but without a lot of the elements of those shows.

I can't speak for anyone else, but even the Petrol head in me is growing rather tired of the Grand Tour. So even without the bias it's still not overly enjoyable. It's way too scripted, and relies on doing the same thing over and over again. Like the American was a little funny at first, but come on. Enough is enough. We get it.

The biggest problem that I find with the grand tour is it's supposed to be a tour. But, they barely do anything in the region they're at. Instead they just do the taping there in the tent. So you learn a little bit. but not a whole lot.

I'd prefer getting rid of the entire audience thing. So that would be a major departure from that show.

I'd also get rid of all preference for everything gas. I wouldn't completely eliminate it, but there just wouldn't be a constant emphasis on it.

Mostly it's going to be a much more tech centric show aimed at a younger audience.

Where it wouldn't be three irrelevant old men, but younger individuals. A lot more like the make up of The White Rabbit project which I really enjoyed. I love shows where I can learn something without feeling like it's being forced down your throat.

Reactions: Btrflyl8e