TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

three of five meters type 2 cable?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Hybris, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Hybris

Hybris Member

what lenght do you think is the best for a type 2 cable? 3 or 5 meters?

2. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

5 meters for sure. It's not much more and will get you out of a bind quite often. You can't always park right next to the charging station; sometimes they are ICE'd. Many times you have to pull in forwards so the charge port is a long way from the station.

3. jontracey

jontracey Member

5 meters allows some extra "wiggle" room, good if you have to go around an. ICE car blocking the charger

4. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

none of them. the minimum is 7m to connect to a wallbox in fron of your car. the car alon is 5m.

i gave my 5m cable away for my 7m.

an extra 3m would be fine, if you back your car in.

lg

eberhard

5. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Owners report that 10m or even 12m of cable are necessary for that use case.

6. amitb00

amitb00 Member

What is this cable used for? Can you post a link to buy it? I am assuming I may need it as well.

7. Hybris

Hybris Member

the cable is for using at public type 2 chargers. At home i have the red three phase adapter that I will evaluate before deciding on any wallbox or similar at home... So the original question is for a type 2 cable for public charging stations like ikea etc.

Not sure type 2 is of any use in the US? its used a lot in Europe at public charging stations.

Sounds like 5 meters is the way to go for that need...

8. amitb00

amitb00 Member

Thanks Hybris.