TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Three-position dynamic LED turning lights in new, custom Model S

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by hulk2k17, Sep 14, 2017.

1. hulk2k17

hulk2k17 Member

I took delivery of a Model S last week and realized I don't have the option below in the vehicle settings. I believe this setting drives the functionality in the subject line. I called the SC and they are researching this, but does anybody else with a new Model S have / don't have this?

Thanks.

upload_2017-9-14_14-25-18.png

2. The Duke

The Duke Member

Yes, I have it. Very noticeable on dark streets, the headlights look around the corner. Totally passive as far as I can tell, but well done so no need to fiddle with it.

3. hulk2k17

hulk2k17 Member

And your car is new (built in the last month-ish)?

4. The Duke

The Duke Member

No, Nicky was built in January. I live close to the factory so no shipping or delivery time. We had our tour three days before we picked Nicky up and will always wonder if we were there for her birth. But I digress, AFS is not all that new and has no settings. Except on and off.

• Helpful x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  5. P85DBeast

P85DBeast Side tEsLa

OHH MY GOSH!!! I've Replied to the wrong person......That's how you know I haven't been on the forum in a while.

Well anyways does your car have the Premium Pkg? Because They were apart of the Premium Pkg.

6. hulk2k17

hulk2k17 Member

My 75D was built last month, so I guess I got the "old" premium package sans biodefense filter because most of those features were made standard. I guess ultimately my questions are:
    • Is "three position dynamic led turning lights" another name for "adaptive front lighting system"?
    • If yes, should there be a vehicle setting to toggle AFS on/off?
    • If no, is "three position dynamic led turning lights" an always on/passive feature?
    Thanks.

7. The Duke

The Duke Member

OK, maybe do this test?

8. P85DBeast

P85DBeast Side tEsLa

#8 P85DBeast, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    1. No adaptive front lighting is when the Low Beam turn's when the wheel is turned. And Tesla's don't they use the 3 position dynamic turning light's. Which are basically (In my opinion) Another version of cornering lights built into the headlights.

3. They are always on my P100D.

A1, A2, and A3 are the 3 Position Dynamic LED Turning Lights. And give a thanks to the wonderful person who already had this labeled.

[​IMG]

9. hulk2k17

hulk2k17 Member

In the Model X loaner that I got, I can totally replicate Bjorn's video. In my Model S, I don't have the "Adaptive Lighting" setting he shows in the beginning, but will test turning the steering wheel and see if the lights behave similarly once it comes back from the paint shop.

10. hulk2k17

hulk2k17 Member

Thanks! I'll definitely have to look closely at my car and test turning the steering wheel.

11. llavalle

llavalle Member

Somewhere around Montreal in Quebec, Canada
    The whole feature is pretty useless anyway because the beams that light up when turning are low-beam type of reflectors/lens.. with a nice cutoff.

The whole point of having adaptative headlamps is having them light up the twisted road ahead of you in full dark conditions... i.e. with the high beams.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  12. The Duke

The Duke Member

Or for turning into my daughter's driveway on a dark night with oncoming traffic. It's narrow and has no lighting whatsoever.

13. morepower

morepower Member

I don't have the adaptive headlight setting either. Built 8/17. I don't see any changes while turning. No PUP but this should have been standard equipment for my date of manufacture. Hmmm.

14. hulk2k17

hulk2k17 Member

But you have ambient lighting and smart air suspension?

Good I'm glad I'm not the only one. My production start date was 8/23

15. morepower

morepower Member

Yes. I have both the ambient lighting and SAS. I'm not sure about my production start but the end was 8/29. This was an inventory purchase. I have submitted (two days ago) a question regarding this omission on my tesla website but haven't heard back yet. I will report back if I hear anything.

16. speedy

speedy Member

#16 speedy, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Ok, I took delivery this Monday, my car was built in early September and I don't seem to have the A1, A2, A3 LEDs on the top row (see picture below). I tested it and there is no change in lighting when I turn the wheel. I took a snapshot of Design Studio when I placed the order, and it definitely listed "Three-position dynamic LED turning lights for nighttime visibility" as a standard feature, as it does today. I have SAS, ambient lighting, 4.3s drivetrain, and APH3, so what gives? I'm going to have to ask my DS about that.

Is there anyone on here who received a base vehicle recently who has a headlight with the 2nd row of LEDs?

IMG_9699.JPG

Just for clarity, we are talking about the dynamic LED turning lights, which I think replaced AFS, which was probably for the old non-LED headlight system.

• Informative x 1
  17. hulk2k17

hulk2k17 Member

@speedy, can you MS Paint your image and point to the row you're referring to?

I got my car back today finally and tested this. When in drive (park doesn't work), turning the wheel in either direction will turn on a light near the fog light cluster. It's pretty dim and almost unnoticeable while driving.

Agreed with the assessment of others... it sucks.

18. speedy

speedy Member

No reason to paint it. If you compare my picture with the one P85DBeast posted above, you can see that the 3 LEDs marked by A1, A2, A3 do not exist on my picture. There is just a piece of plastic in its place. These LEDs are supposed to turn on in sequence as you turn the wheel, thus lighting the corners.

I tested my lights in Park, so did not see any other lights turn on. I'll have to test it in Drive and see if there are LEDs in the fog light cluster that turn on. Perhaps this is the extent of the standard LED turning lights, not like the A1, A2, A3, which are probably part of some Premium package.

19. James*

James* Member

I took delivery on Sep 12th. believe I'm in the same boat. I just messaged my OA and DS to see what they have to say.

20. speedy

speedy Member

There is another thread going on in the model X forum about exactly the same thing. Like here, the questions seems to be what exactly is the standard "Three-position dynamic LED turning lights for nighttime visibility"? I did check my fog lights in Drive, and an extra LED does appear to light when you turn the wheel, but that's about it. That is not "Three-position" like the A1, A2, A3 LEDs we see in the headlight above. It seems Tesla may have misrepresented that standard feature in the description and base cars without any premium package don't get the extra LEDs in the headlight, but just the little cornering light in the fog light.

I would save all the web pages now describing the feature before Tesla changes them. I see a bunch of unhappy folks, including myself. It's not that I wanted or expected those extra cornering LEDs in my headlamps, but if they said the feature is there, it should be....

• Like x 1