Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three-position dynamic LED turning lights in new, custom Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, my installer said he would replace my headlight wrap for free, although i asked him about it back 4 months ago when I was originally getting the wrap and knew i had the wrong headlights.

Lmao. I had mine done 4 months ago as well and he also said hed replace it for free. But its looking more and more like they wont replace the headlights for years or never.

Can someone who has successfully had their lights retrofitted post a list of the parts and steps required? I'm in Australia and my local SC is having difficulty working through this. Been over 4 months now with no resolution.

I don't know what the part number is, but at this time there should really only be one part for Model S / X. Once you get the headlights installed, they will NOT work unless a bunch of things align.

First check if you have the adaptive light setting: Settings -> Vehicle -> it will be to the right of "Headlights on Park"

If you have the right lights but no setting, then you need to do the following:

1. Have Tesla Engineering (just call customer support) enable the "curved lighting" option in your vehicle profile in their database

2. They will then push an OTA (not a firmware patch) to your car which will enable the setting

3. Take your car to the local SC and have them run a tool box body controller update

Then you will have working adaptive lights. Good luck

They did, but the reprogram didn’t work (they’re physically installed, the option is in Settings now, but they don’t work) so it’s going back in Friday to be fixed. Definitely brand new headlights altogether.
What a pain in the Arse!! I had appointment this week and called the day before to confirm and was told "Sorry parts not available" we will cancel your appointment! I was like Okay now what? She said someone will call you when there in?? I'm not holding my breath!

I called rockville, md to see if they could do a retrofit or order the parts. They were adamant my VIN wasnt compatible and couldnt receive them. They had no bulletins on the issue and said anyone that told me prior to delivery they are going to replace it is wrong and shouldnt have told me that.

Sounds like you're missing this last step: 3. Take your car to the local SC and have them run a tool box body controller update
Yep - based on your list, they missed a step before returning the car to me. I would've assumed they would've tested it before saying "done"? Not that hard and seems...well, logical! Oh well, annoying to say the least, but life goes on. Thanks for the tips.

Saga continunes :(

Car has been in the SC for a week and no dice on getting the software/controls to make the lights work. I browsed through this thread a bit and sent a note to the SC to get in touch some of the recommended SC's (Eden Prairie MN and Dublin CA) that have done this before.

At the moment, the latest is they're waiting for a field technician from Fremont to come visit and solve themselves but no ETA. They offered to have me pick it up and be on my way, and they'll call when they can schedule, but I know Tesla (like many of you), and something as non-mission critical as dynamic lighting won't be high on the radar and they may hope I forget about it.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Car has been in the SC for a week and no dice on getting the software/controls to make the lights work. I browsed through this thread a bit and sent a note to the SC to get in touch some of the recommended SC's (Eden Prairie MN and Dublin CA) that have done this before.

At the moment, the latest is they're waiting for a field technician from Fremont to come visit and solve themselves but no ETA. They offered to have me pick it up and be on my way, and they'll call when they can schedule, but I know Tesla (like many of you), and something as non-mission critical as dynamic lighting won't be high on the radar and they may hope I forget about it.

Dang your making me think this may not be worth the trouble! Like you said if you pick it up its over. Had appointment for same and I called day before to make sure they had the parts and the just responded "we will cancel your appt" I was a little surprised thats the only response I got and then pushed and asked well then when...reply "will call you back"!!! That was 3 weeks ago. If you didn't receive a loaner I would push for one and leave the car there and rack up miles on there car!! Keep us updated with there BS!

Have them reach out to the Dallas SC. They fixed my car and got everything working.

Dang your making me think this may not be worth the trouble! Like you said if you pick it up its over. Had appointment for same and I called day before to make sure they had the parts and the just responded "we will cancel your appt" I was a little surprised thats the only response I got and then pushed and asked well then when...reply "will call you back"!!! That was 3 weeks ago. If you didn't receive a loaner I would push for one and leave the car there and rack up miles on there car!! Keep us updated with there BS!

I do have a loaner thankfully -- in a P90D X which has been some fun. I garage and take pretty good care of the car, so being out of my hands for this long and likely outside and just sitting isn't the jam. They also disabled the mobile connectivity (so that me checking on the car or TeslaFi polling it) doesn't screw up an update from Fremont. Gonna leave it there another week and see what happens -- I know the manager there fairly well and will pay a visit if it's not cleared up.

Have them reach out to the Dallas SC. They fixed my car and got everything working.

Thanks for that - I'll add to the list I sent them already!

I received this message from corporate after escalating again asking about what the plan was.

"I received confirmation that internally we are finalizing the internal and external communications regarding the adaptive headlight correction/retrofit. As currently planned, you should receive a personal email from HQ on this by the 2nd week of March, as will the rest of the vehicles impacted.

We apologize for the miscommunication on this from the beginning, but there is a plan in place, and we can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel to fix this for you and the other impacted owners. "

I guess I'm not as understanding as you. If I were in this situation, I would give Tesla two choices: 1) fix the car to your satisfaction and in a timely manner, or 2) replace the car because the one you received did not contain the correct parts that you ordered and paid for.

I guess I'm not as understanding as you. If I were in this situation, I would give Tesla two choices: 1) fix the car to your satisfaction and in a timely manner, or 2) replace the car because the one you received did not contain the correct parts that you ordered and paid for.

If it wasn't for traveling out of state for work, I might've been a bit more upset.

But, good news and funny news. Got the car back yesterday when I landed and they work now. I obviously wanted to know what took them so long/what was wrong, and it looks like they originally installed the wrong headlight assembly's 2 trips ago which is why the software was failing to load and recognize the new lamps.

So to those looking to get this corrected too -- I'd have faith the process is relatively simple and painless, just make sure they install the right lamps.

Reactions: AmpedRealtor
Mines had the headlights changed today and i'm told they are waiting for the software correction to be applied. Hopefully i'll pick it up tomorrow. It's been quite painless and as soon as I asked about it they ordered the parts and scheduled it in.

When I collect it, what is the best way to test that they work? Park close to a wall and turn the wheel?