Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three-position dynamic LED turning lights in new, custom Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick update: My DS emailed me back. They acknowledged the issue and are retrofitting the lights free of charge on my Model X.

Good to hear on your Model X retrofitt. This should bode well for us Model S owners since the underlying electrical connections should be similar or more than likely identical. I have yet to hear back from Tesla on mine and it's been three days and counting.

So, I have received clarification from my Service Center. My car is configured and built correctly.

Basically, as of the most recent configuration changes, the three-position dynamic LED turning lights ( within fog lights) are standard. The full LED adaptive headlamps with 14 three-position LED dynamic turning lights (within headlamps) are not standard and are still part of the Premium Upgrades Package (even though it doesn't mention them anymore).

The three-position refers to left, center, and right positions, not 3 LED positions. When turning left the left fog light LED turns on, when center both are off, and when turning right, the right fog light LED turns on.

In a nutshell:

Before Configuration Update:
PUP: Dynamic LED Fog Lamps & Dynamic LED Headlamps
Non-PUP: No Dynamic Features

After Configuration Update:
Non-PUP: Dynamic LED Fog Lamps

As I somewhat expected, what is now standard on the post July based model is the rather weak fog light based dynamic cornering LED light, that turns on as you turn into it. The fancier Adaptive 14 LED dynamic turning lights on the headlamp assembly, with the option to turn on or off, is NOT standard.

I'll leave it to the forum to debate Tesla's poor use of the same feature name to describe essentially two different features, essentially resulting in unnecessary confusion and grief for many folks.

So, I have received clarification from my Service Center. My car is configured and built correctly.

Basically, as of the most recent configuration changes, the three-position dynamic LED turning lights ( within fog lights) are standard. The full LED adaptive headlamps with 14 three-position LED dynamic turning lights (within headlamps) are not standard and are still part of the Premium Upgrades Package (even though it doesn't mention them anymore).

The three-position refers to left, center, and right positions, not 3 LED positions. When turning left the left fog light LED turns on, when center both are off, and when turning right, the right fog light LED turns on.

In a nutshell:

As I somewhat expected, what is now standard on the post July based model is the rather weak fog light based dynamic cornering LED light, that turns on as you turn into it. The fancier Adaptive 14 LED dynamic turning lights on the headlamp assembly, with the option to turn on or off, is NOT standard.

I'll leave it to the forum to debate Tesla's poor use of the same feature name to describe essentially two different features, essentially resulting in unnecessary confusion and grief for many folks.

Thanks for the note. This might be something where things start to diverge for the Model S and Model X. In my Model X, I don't see the dynamic LED fog lamps that you mention. There's no additional lights near the fog light assembly that turn on/off when you turn the wheel.

With more people noticing and rejecting their deliveries, let's wait and see how Tesla responds to this.

Thanks for the note. This might be something where things start to diverge for the Model S and Model X. In my Model X, I don't see the dynamic LED fog lamps that you mention. There's no additional lights near the fog light assembly that turn on/off when you turn the wheel.
Did you actually try to view your fog lights as you turned the wheel? It's very subtle. I had to put a large mirror in front of the car and then put the car in Drive before I could see the light come on.

If you really don't have it, perhaps the config change date for the Model X is different from the S and maybe your car is before that change?

Does anyone have the descriptions of the standard features and the contents of the PUP from prior to the July change?

I sold a 2016 with the PUP and when I ordered a replacement in August I didn't get the new PUP. When I compared the old PUP with the new PUP, I could have sworn the only thing I "lost" was the HEPA filter. In any event, clearly bad communication on Tesla's part because the current PUP doesn't mention this difference.:mad:

In a nutshell:

I think that's bullcrap. Look at the webpage.

Here's what it says about the adaptive lighting:

"Adaptive Lighting
Model S now features full LED adaptive headlamps. Besides enhancing the already great styling, they also boost safety: 14 three-position LED dynamic turning lights improve visibility at night, especially on winding roads."

I've bolded the important bit here. Now, the latest webpage describes a feature under Safety as
  • Three-position dynamic LED turning lights
Note that this particular feature was moved FROM the "Premium Upgrades adds" category to the Safety feature category on July 22nd.

Here is the webpage on July 21st: Model S | Tesla
Here is the webpage after (as it still stands today): https://web.archive.org/web/20170823012558/https://www.tesla.com/models

Note that NOWHERE in the premium upgrades category is there anything about three-point turning lights anymore!

Please use this explanation to anyone who dares tell you that the single LED on the foglights is the same as the 14 three-position LED dynamic turning lights.

And there are people who are now reporting that they are getting retrofitted...? Tesla needs to come out and admit they screwed up and retrofit all of us.

EDIT: Here's the list of Premium Upgrades from before and after:

Premium Upgrades adds
  • Fit and finish refinements, including the use of higher quality materials and ambient lighting
  • HEPA air filtration system
  • LED fog lights
  • Lighted door handles
  • Interior accent lighting
  • Now standard with automatic rear liftgate

Premium Upgrades adds
  • Custom audio system featuring 11 speakers with neodymium magnets
  • XM satellite radio capability
  • Heated seats throughout the cabin
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Wiper blade defrosters
  • Washer nozzle heaters

"Adaptive Lighting
Model S now features full LED adaptive headlamps. Besides enhancing the already great styling, they also boost safety: 14 three-position LED dynamic turning lights improve visibility at night, especially on winding roads."

I've bolded the important bit here. Now, the latest webpage describes a feature under Safety as
Note that this particular feature was moved FROM the "Premium Upgrades adds" category to the Safety feature category on July 22nd.

Here is the webpage after (as it still stands today): https://web.archive.org/web/20170823012558/https://www.tesla.com/models

Note that NOWHERE in the premium upgrades category is there anything about three-point turning lights anymore!

Please use this explanation to anyone who dares tell you that the single LED on the foglights is the same as the 14 three-position LED dynamic turning lights.

And there are people who are now reporting that they are getting retrofitted...? Tesla needs to come out and admit they screwed up and retrofit all of us.

Premium Upgrades adds
  • Fit and finish refinements, including the use of higher quality materials and ambient lighting
  • LED fog lights
  • Lighted door handles

Premium Upgrades adds
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Wiper blade defrosters
  • Washer nozzle heaters

This is all bullish-t. I decided against the PUP because I was told all lighting was now standard. Not sure I would've still gotten the PUP but this is really ridiculous.

Regardless of the confusion about the "Three-position dynamic LED turning lights" being the fog lights vs. the headlights, the current version of the Model S page says "Model S now features full LED adaptive headlamps" and nowhere do they indicate that you must get the PUP to get them.

This is in direct contrast to the "Bio-Weapon Defense Mode" feature where they say "Model S now features a Medical grade HEPA air filtration system" and then note at the bottom of the page "Premium Upgrades adds HEPA air filtration system."

Did you actually try to view your fog lights as you turned the wheel? It's very subtle. I had to put a large mirror in front of the car and then put the car in Drive before I could see the light come on.

If you really don't have it, perhaps the config change date for the Model X is different from the S and maybe your car is before that change?

Yes. I tried it. I am 99.9% sure I don't have any additional lights near the fog fixture. Also, my car was built starting Sept 4th 2017 so any configuration updates should be reflected on my car.

"Adaptive Lighting
This is where their really poor use of words causes problems. Tesla says that the Model S "features" adaptive lighting, probably meaning that it's available, not that it's standard. On that same page, Bio Hazard Defense Mode is also "featured", but it's a PUP option.

This is where their really poor use of words causes problems. Tesla says that the Model S "features" adaptive lighting, probably meaning that it's available, not that it's standard. On that same page, Bio Hazard Defense Mode is also "featured", but it's a PUP option.

True, but further down on the same page it clarifies that the HEPA filter is part of PUP:

"Premium Upgrades adds HEPA air filtration system"

It doesn't do that for the Adaptive Headlights.

True, but further down on the same page it clarifies that the HEPA filter is part of PUP:

"Premium Upgrades adds HEPA air filtration system"

It doesn't do that for the Adaptive Headlights.

I am sorry. This one doesn't sit right with me. I am taking delivery tomorrow and this just bothers me on principle and regardless how great of a car tesla is or how much I will enjoy it and never know the difference. This just doesn't sit right and not how you do business.

Reactions: James*
I took my car to the Service Center today for other issues and asked about the adaptive lights. The folks there agreed that the feature should be in the car but suspects that new builds, post 7/21, don't have them unless the owner ordered PUP. This however was pure speculation on their part because they couldn't get a clear answer from HQ... end of quarter, general chaos, etc.

But I watched a new owner take delivery of an S and it didn't have the lights. I didn't ask if they ordered PUP though.

"Adaptive Lighting

Premium Upgrades adds
  • LED fog lights
  • Lighted door handles

Premium Upgrades adds
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Wiper blade defrosters
  • Washer nozzle heaters

Based on a comparison of the former and current website links above, the three-position dynamic LED turning lights clearly should be included in all Model S versions regardless of having PUP or not. Tesla needs to make it right for everyone.

Reactions: Prism7342
Basically, as of the most recent configuration changes, the three-position dynamic LED turning lights ( within fog lights) are standard.

So basically this? o_O

Last edited:
Tried to make a little infographic. Feel free to point out any errors.

GEASAm7.png

Last edited: