Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three-position dynamic LED turning lights in new, custom Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was under the impression that my inventory S75 was going to have these, but I'm not sure if I should have assumed that or not. At what point in time should production cars have started to have these lights as standard? My S75 is a base model that I bought from inventory last weekend. Delivered Tuesday. The only options are rear facing seats and EAP. I don't know when production started on it, but it's very new as evidenced by the inclusion of the new rear bucket-style seats, as well as AP2.5 hardware. It was actually shipped without EAP installed since it was originally configured that way and they forgot to add it before delivering it to me. It does have the smart air suspension, interior ambient lights, and fog lights, all of which were added to the standard options in the past 6-9 months. VIN ends in F218XXX

I was under the impression that my inventory S75 was going to have these, but I'm not sure if I should have assumed that or not. At what point in time should production cars have started to have these lights as standard? My S75 is a base model that I bought from inventory last weekend. Delivered Tuesday. The only options are rear facing seats and EAP. I don't know when production started on it, but it's very new as evidenced by the inclusion of the new rear bucket-style seats, as well as AP2.5 hardware. It was actually shipped without EAP installed since it was originally configured that way and they forgot to add it before delivering it to me. It does have the smart air suspension, interior ambient lights, and fog lights, all of which were added to the standard options in the past 6-9 months. VIN ends in F218XXX

Do you not have them? If you don't then you absolutely should have them based on the info you mentioned.

Again if you don't have them, I'd send an escalation email like others have done so. Or contact your DS.

Did you also send an email using the executive escalation from your mytesla account page? I sent an email a couple of days ago and no response yet.

I did exactly that. I got a reply in about an hour and said yes, my car is eligible, and that they have begun working with my service center to order parts. Funny thing, my car was at the service center for some warranty work yesterday, and when I picked it, they already knew about the retrofit for my car and said they already ordered parts.

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop and ishareit

You should have received the adaptive headlights. The introduction of AP2.5 hardware was after the options changed and the lights became standard.

Also, your window sticker from the car has the date of manufacture on it. It sounds like yours was an August or September build.

I'm sorry, but I'm completely lost now. I've read the topic twice, but still don't understand, also because of the naming. In short:

My S75D without PUP will be build in november. Will (or should) it have:

The Real cornering lights that Tesla puts on his webpage

Or

Some vague led lights that barely light up a corner

I'm sorry, but I'm completely lost now. I've read the topic twice, but still don't understand, also because of the naming. In short:

Or

You should be receiving the real corning head lights that are above the regular head lights. I just got off the phone from my service center where I had my car in for other reasons and asked to have them check why mine didn't come with the corning lights. They said it was a "manufacturing error" and that they have ordered the parts for me. It would be a total shock to me if they are still pumping out non-PUP cars in November without this properly installed. If you don't receive them I can only assume they are low on inventory for this part and have decided the service centers will have to suck it up and have to do the retrofit rather than holding up production.

My question is if they weren't supposed to be using the old lights where did they all come from? Or did somebody accidentally order more when stock ran low not knowing that they had been discontinued. Someone really dropped the ball on this change.

Or

If you mean this with what is on the website
2017-10-07 19_59_02-Model S _ Tesla.png

then no. Tesla does not have and never had any headlight in its cars that light up the road like that.

What the Three Position Dynamic LED Turning Lights lights really do is more like this.
Tesla Three Position Dynamic LED Turning Lights.png

which is what you should get. But it's pretty much the "lights up the corner in 3 stages" light.

Last edited:
Well the drama continues. Now I am being told "Tesla is currently working on designing one. We were trying to order and find the part but turns out there is not one." Whaaat?

Has anyone who's LED turning lights were missing actually received a working retrofit yet?

This is not good, hope it is not the case that it can't be retrofitted, I would not have passed up on the PUP if I had known that I was going to be missing out, especially something that is as visibly noticeable from the outside such as the lights. If my car does not receive them and they can't be retrofitted I will not be accepting my Tesla on delivery.

For me I don't think I would be able to accept that I had spent £75k on a car and it to not be what I ordered. It would piss me off every time I look at the front and see the lights, not the kind of thing that will be sorted by some kind of good will.

I think Tesla may have a new inventory car, and I will have a much longer wait for the correct car to be produced and delivered.

I followed up again today with the SC. I was told that the parts were VIN specific and they didn't have an ETA.

Which in and of itself doesn't make any sense so more follow up...

UPDATE FROM SC:

The term “VIN specific” only refers to identifying a list of cars that are specifically affected. I am not aware of any particular order by which they are fulfilling these parts needs

Last edited:
Contacted the Portland OR service center and was told (like tkdkenny) that Tesla is currently researching affected VIN's and will contact those affected directly. Not sure if I'm comfortable waiting as some are getting done now.

On a separate note this is our second MS and really have problems getting the car to release the charging handle in the mornings. SC says they have heard complaints that the new cars seem to be different from early versions in this respect. Not sure but this should be Cal proof and not something you have to think about to get the handle out.

Just to chime in further, brought our new S in to have the alignment fixed (horrible from the factory), and was told by service (who acknowledged we had the wrong lights) that engineering hasn't figured out a fix yet. Hopefully they will get something sorted out soon! I will probably put something into executive escalation just to make sure my VIN is formally associated with the issue.