Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three-position dynamic LED turning lights in new, custom Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would it be easier to just go into the settings and lights area to see if you have an adaptive headlights button to toggle off and on?

I don't have it nor does it appear to have the three led hardware described in this thread. Think I'll be asking folks in my service center. 90D inventory car, delivered 9/19/17 with Premium interior and lighting $5,000 option. Not sure what the PUP reference was referring to.

Not sure what the "battery range upgrade" means. Thought the range was purely dependent on the size battery, all wheel drive etc.

Would it be easier to just go into the settings and lights area to see if you have an adaptive headlights button to toggle off and on?

I don't have it nor does it appear to have the three led hardware described in this thread. Think I'll be asking folks in my service center. 90D inventory car, delivered 9/19/17 with Premium interior and lighting $5,000 option. Not sure what the PUP reference was referring to.

Not sure what the "battery range upgrade" means. Thought the range was purely dependent on the size battery, all wheel drive etc.

I believe everyone that doesn't see the LED turning lights inside their headlamp assembly also doesn't have the toggle off and on buttons.

PUP= Premium Upgrade Package. Those that have the PUP have the adaptive LED's however It was standard equipment starting sometime in July so in theory everyone should have it moving forward.

UPDATE: My car is set for delivery on Oct 12. I emailed my DS and asked her about this issue. She said was also aware of the issue because of reading about it online, here i assume. She is going to check my car upon arrival.

Guys...i am a Model X owner and there's a similar thread in the Model X forum. My non-PUP Model X came without adaptive headlights at time of delivery (Sept 2017 build). After a lot of to and fro - i got my SC to retrofit the headlights. The SC had so clue about this (maybe they do now), and had to go back and forth with engineering to figure this out.

What on earth would we do without TMC and its members keeping Tesla honest?
Agreed! I'm due to get my S75 in a few weeks, expecting the dynamic turning lights. I wouldn't have even thought to check if it wasn't for TMC. I'm sure it'll be news to the UK service centres as mine should be one of the first post-July change cars in the country. Hopefully they respond in the same manour as ab26's SC did.

I took delivery of a Model S last week and realized I don't have the option below in the vehicle settings. I believe this setting drives the functionality in the subject line. I called the SC and they are researching this, but does anybody else with a new Model S have / don't have this?

Thanks.

View attachment 247643
Hey now, don't be surprised by anything you find not working or missing on your new Teslas. Seems every batch of new cars is different. They use whatever is at hand to keep production going. Some cars , delivered before I got mine, had pockets in the front of the drivers seat. Mine doesn't. Wish it did. Also, I wasn't even given a heads up about what was working and what wasn't. On my Model S 75D, delivery was Dec 20, 2016, nothing worked. Literally nothing. Not an exaggeration. As of this date, my car still won't read speed limit signs and it has no Rain Sensors for my Wipers. My car can't see vehicles in my blind spot when changing lanes, the highway exit and inter-change functions don't work. My car won't stop for a pedestrian or anything else unless the cruise control or auto pilot are engaged. My summon won't climb a very modest grade so, it's almost useless. My driveways grade is less than shown in the demo on the Tesla web site. So, be advised. These items won't work on your new Model S either. The three position adaptable head lights are a joke. They probably are working. They just don't do enough to be able to tell. Just glorified cornering lights Completely different from Model X. Disappointed in the delays - nearly ten months, and still waiting to get what I was sold. Takes the fun out of owning such a cool car.

@IFought4U , the adaptive lights in the Model X I received worked well enough for me. But at this point, it's more a matter of principle rather than the actual functionality. Tesla clearly advertised this on their website and their is a clear expectation that the product they delivered should have this regardless if the lights are ground breaking or not.

General update for the thread. I received the following from the executive escalation team today:

"Thank you for reaching out. I took a look at this for you and can also confirm that your vehicle is eligible for the adaptive headlight option. In order to make that happen we need to involve the Dallas Service Center who would be coordinating the parts needed and scheduling a time to perform the install. I have started this process on your behalf, but this is dependent on the availability of parts. Once everything falls into place Dallas Service will be reaching out to coordinate the next steps with you"

@IFought4U , the adaptive lights in the Model X I received worked well enough for me. But at this point, it's more a matter of principle rather than the actual functionality. Tesla clearly advertised this on their website and their is a clear expectation that the product they delivered should have this regardless if the lights are ground breaking or not.

General update for the thread. I received the following from the executive escalation team today:

"Thank you for reaching out. I took a look at this for you and can also confirm that your vehicle is eligible for the adaptive headlight option. In order to make that happen we need to involve the Dallas Service Center who would be coordinating the parts needed and scheduling a time to perform the install. I have started this process on your behalf, but this is dependent on the availability of parts. Once everything falls into place Dallas Service will be reaching out to coordinate the next steps with you"

That's the first hint of good news I have heard related to this subject. I have submitted a general support inquiry, an executive review inquiry as well as emailed my DS and have received radio silence from all three.

This puts a huge burden on the service centers to do a retrofit on each of these non-PUP cars. I wonder if they will automatically do this for everyone or just the ones who are the "squeaky wheel".

Thanks for the update @hulk2k17.

And just for the folks in the TLDR category, if you took delivery of any S or X that was produced in late October to early September onwards, which headlight assembly do you have and did you buy the PUP?

Headlight with Adaptive LEDs A1, A2, A3:

View attachment 249489

OR, headlight with NO adaptive LEDs:

View attachment 249490

Interesting. I'll be taking delivery of a early September build 90D. I'll be sure to look for this and report If I am missing the 3 leds on the top part of the headlight.

After I saw hulk2k17's message this afternoon, I also wrote a short note to the executive escalation team. I already got a reply that followed the same structure (though wasn't verbatim) - I expect to have the headlights replaced by my local service team. Hopefully they can do it with ranger / valet service. Sounds like they are fessing up to the problem if you bring it to their attention.

I contacted the UK delivery team. They say the issue is known and the lights will be swapped before delivery.
I asked a bunch of questions and got detailed answers to all items in about 1 hour. Excellent service!