Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three-position dynamic LED turning lights in new, custom Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they just give me a free service or even $100,- i'm fine. It's not that I need the light, it bothers me that I should have had them and it takes them 2 months (and counting) to get back.

Heck, even a beer and someone from Tesla saying, "sorry bro", is fine for me.

This. It bothers me when people say the lights arent that good so don't worry about it. Honestly, I dont see Tesla fixing this for a while. They are either hoping people forget or too busy with model 3

Reactions: bnsfengineer
If they just give me a free service or even $100,- i'm fine. It's not that I need the light, it bothers me that I should have had them and it takes them 2 months (and counting) to get back.

This is what they ended up doing for me. I know I was sick of trying to figure out what the deal was with my car, and they had to have been sick of getting my e-mails, so they opted for the cheap solution that allowed us both to move on to more important matters. This whole saga has been strange, to say the least.

Service looked at it again and although the gateway sees the car as properly configured, the body control module still needs to be manually configured for it to work after the retrofit (as was done for @hulk2k17 ). The service center said there was no bulletin they could work off, so they are writing their own to put out there for other service centers.

When you get your retrofit done, they will need to physically install the lights (obviously), wait for an engineer from California to change the configuration of your car remotely. If there's not an engineer available at the time of your service, you can have it done remotely while the car is sitting around. Finally, the body control module needs to be manually reconfigured (do not let them tell you that it LOOKS okay, it is misleading). It is unknown to me whether this can be done before the config (I suspect not?). So, if you don't want to make two trips to the service center, you probably will want to ask for a loaner.

Heck, even a beer and someone from Tesla saying, "sorry bro", is fine for me.
One thing to consider is resale value, unless you are leasing.

Service looked at it again and although the gateway sees the car as properly configured, the body control module still needs to be manually configured for it to work after the retrofit (as was done for @hulk2k17 ). The service center said there was no bulletin they could work off, so they are writing their own to put out there for other service centers.

When you get your retrofit done, they will need to physically install the lights (obviously), wait for an engineer from California to change the configuration of your car remotely. If there's not an engineer available at the time of your service, you can have it done remotely while the car is sitting around. Finally, the body control module needs to be manually reconfigured (do not let them tell you that it LOOKS okay, it is misleading). It is unknown to me whether this can be done before the config (I suspect not?). So, if you don't want to make two trips to the service center, you probably will want to ask for a loaner.

I am in the same situation as you were: SC retrofitted the headlights, updated the software (the toggle is present in the settings), but they never light up. The San Francisco SC tells me that they work as intended, which is obviously not the case. Any way you could share what SC finally got them to work with the proper control module configuration?

I am in the same situation as you were: SC retrofitted the headlights, updated the software (the toggle is present in the settings), but they never light up. The San Francisco SC tells me that they work as intended, which is obviously not the case. Any way you could share what SC finally got them to work with the proper control module configuration?

Tell them to talk to Jeff at the Eden Prairie, MN Service Center.

Tell them to talk to Jeff at the Eden Prairie, MN Service Center.

The folks at Dallas Service Center can also help.

Are there any Model S RWD owners here whose cars were delivered with upgraded 4.3 seconds 0-60 mph but without the adaptive headlights? I have a suspicion that these cars are missing the upgraded performance in addition to the adaptive headlights.

Are there any Model S RWD owners here whose cars were delivered with upgraded 4.3 seconds 0-60 mph but without the adaptive headlights? I have a suspicion that these cars are missing the upgraded performance in addition to the adaptive headlights.

I have a base Model S75. My car has the performance (tested using PowerTools), but had to have my lights retrofitted. Do you have data that leans towards you not having the right performance?

I have a base Model S75. My car has the performance (tested using PowerTools), but had to have my lights retrofitted. Do you have data that leans towards you not having the right performance?
I have driven 4 different S75RWD cars recently (3 loaners and one of them mine) - all made closer to each other and supposed to be having the upgraded performance specs. Two of these cars felt much quicker than mine, and 1 of them felt similar to mine. Also coincidentally, the two that felt slower (mine and another loaner) did not have the adaptive headlights installed, which is what makes me wonder. The problem with measuring the loaner cars using the PowerTools is that I don't have the username/password information to log the data from the API.

Btw - have you submitted your PowerTools stats to the Upgraded performance Metrics Summary thread and do you have a graph that I can compare my car's graph to from that thread?

I took my car into the Dublin, CA SC last Friday to get the headlights replaced (after executive escalation). Went to pick it up Monday evening, and: 1) the adaptive headlights didn't work (showed up in UI, with toggle, but didn't light up in UI when in drive and turning the wheel, nor did the actual extra LEDs illuminate) and 2) had horrible gaps between the front bumper and the new headlights. I rejected the car last night, and departed in my loaner again.

Picked it up tonight, panel gaps were fixed, and after a Body Control Module update (not prompted by me despite reading this thread) - the adaptive headlights now work as intended (both in the settings UI and physically). Just to add to the list of SCs who know how to handle the problem, if you are having problems with this issue, the Dublin, CA service center has properly resolved the issue for me. Took long enough.

I took my car into the Dublin, CA SC last Friday to get the headlights replaced (after executive escalation). Went to pick it up Monday evening, and: 1) the adaptive headlights didn't work (showed up in UI, with toggle, but didn't light up in UI when in drive and turning the wheel, nor did the actual extra LEDs illuminate) and 2) had horrible gaps between the front bumper and the new headlights. I rejected the car last night, and departed in my loaner again.

Picked it up tonight, panel gaps were fixed, and after a Body Control Module update (not prompted by me despite reading this thread) - the adaptive headlights now work as intended (both in the settings UI and physically). Just to add to the list of SCs who know how to handle the problem, if you are having problems with this issue, the Dublin, CA service center has properly resolved the issue for me. Took long enough.
I take my car in tomorrow for this -- did they replace the whole lens, or just replace the interior (if its even possible)? I forgot I had some Xpel on my headlights, so hoping I don't have to do another trip to get that put back on too..

I take my car in tomorrow for this -- did they replace the whole lens, or just replace the interior (if its even possible)? I forgot I had some Xpel on my headlights, so hoping I don't have to do another trip to get that put back on too..

They will remove the bumper and replace both light fixtures. You will need to get the clear bra redone on the headlights. Any clear bra on the bumper / fenders / hood will be fine. YMMV, but you can ask Tesla to subsidize the replacement of your clear bra since it was clearly their mistake by installing the wrong headlights. Alternatively if your clear bra dealer is nice, they may opt to replace it for free since that effort and material for headlights is fairly low.

They will remove the bumper and replace both light fixtures. You will need to get the clear bra redone on the headlights. Any clear bra on the bumper / fenders / hood will be fine. YMMV, but you can ask Tesla to subsidize the replacement of your clear bra since it was clearly their mistake by installing the wrong headlights. Alternatively if your clear bra dealer is nice, they may opt to replace it for free since that effort and material for headlights is fairly low.

Yeah, my installer said he would replace my headlight wrap for free, although i asked him about it back 4 months ago when I was originally getting the wrap and knew i had the wrong headlights.