Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three-position dynamic LED turning lights in new, custom Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model S 100D built in October 2017. The main display graphics show the lights coming on, but checking in a mirror today (car was in D and going forward) I could not see the 3 stage LEDs turning on at all. Only the fog lights came on.

I reached out to my SC. Is this a common issue?

Do you have the adaptive lights? A1-3 below

7hinbuj.jpg

It's possible that your car missed the cutoff of when Tesla realized the mistake and started building cars with the right headlights.

If you have the lights, then schedule a visit with the SC to have them check it out. If you don't have A1-3 and have a flat plastic insert instead, then you'll need to still visit the SC and report that you have the wrong lights. They'll need to order a pair if they don't have spares on hand.

They will remove your bumper, and replace the entire headlight fixture, run an OTA to add the setting to toggle it, and then run a body controller update to activate the lights.

If you have clear bra on your lights, you will need to get those redone. Clear bra on the hood, front bumper, and fenders should not be affected.

7hinbuj.jpg

It's possible that your car missed the cutoff of when Tesla realized the mistake and started building cars with the right headlights.

If you have the lights, then schedule a visit with the SC to have them check it out. If you don't have A1-3 and have a flat plastic insert instead, then you'll need to still visit the SC and report that you have the wrong lights. They'll need to order a pair if they don't have spares on hand.

They will remove your bumper, and replace the entire headlight fixture, run an OTA to add the setting to toggle it, and then run a body controller update to activate the lights.

If you have clear bra on your lights, you will need to get those redone. Clear bra on the hood, front bumper, and fenders should not be affected.

Thanks for the detailed explanation! It seems that I have the lights.

481BA8EE-B8D6-44F3-9E10-1C5567F37026.jpeg

I finally got my lights installed several weeks ago to find out after returning home that they weren't operational. The setting was there to activate them but it didn't work. Back it went and they had it for an entire week trying to figure out what was wrong. I could tell they were working on it because I received three separate notifications through the Tesla app that the car received a software update. I told them about the steps required from this forum and they were aware of them. They kept saying that they were consulting with Engineering. Ultimately the resolution was for them to replace the Body Control Module. They now work...That only took 8+ months after first identifying them as missing!!

A big Thank You to the Bellevue Service Center for working through the problem.

7hinbuj.jpg

No and I should due to build date, made an appointment and day before I called and they said no parts available and they would call me back when they were in..... 4 months ago:eek:

For those of us who had to get this retrofitted, do you still have the adaptive headlight option in v9? (2018.39.* and above)

I don't see it anymore in Lights, I called in and they said they don't see the option either. They then tried to tell me I was not supposed to have it (wrong), but I wonder if v9 wiped out some configs for other folks?

I finally got my lights installed several weeks ago to find out after returning home that they weren't operational. The setting was there to activate them but it didn't work. Back it went and they had it for an entire week trying to figure out what was wrong. I could tell they were working on it because I received three separate notifications through the Tesla app that the car received a software update. I told them about the steps required from this forum and they were aware of them. They kept saying that they were consulting with Engineering. Ultimately the resolution was for them to replace the Body Control Module. They now work...That only took 8+ months after first identifying them as missing!!

A big Thank You to the Bellevue Service Center for working through the problem.
Do you or anyone that has had the retrofit have the part #s? I have a 1 year service appointment soon and last time I spoke with them about it they acted like I was from Mars!!

So I got mine retrofitted... but they don't seem to do anything, even when Adaptive Headlights is turned on. The fog (lower) lights light up when the wheel is turned, but compared to my old BMW where the lights actually moved - I see nothing with these. Anyone have a video of working turning lights so I can compare?

So I got mine retrofitted... but they don't seem to do anything, even when Adaptive Headlights is turned on. The fog (lower) lights light up when the wheel is turned, but compared to my old BMW where the lights actually moved - I see nothing with these. Anyone have a video of working turning lights so I can compare?
I believe there is programming involved also. If you look back at this thread and I know its long there are folks who had replaced and described as you do. Did you look in your setting now if adaptive is listed as an option?

I believe there is programming involved also. If you look back at this thread and I know its long there are folks who had replaced and described as you do. Did you look in your setting now if adaptive is listed as an option?

I looked in my settings and didn't see the adaptive headlight settings, but I know they are working as usual. I had my headlights retrofitted last year.

Yes, I have the setting and it's enabled. Just doesn't seem to actually do anything. Brought it up at my last service visit and got this response. My 2013 didn't have adaptive headlights (as they didnt exist then), and did the EXACT same thing with the lower fog lights - so I think they're just not really enabled.

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 11.09.27 AM.png

Can anyone help me out? I have 9-17 standard MS and they are adamant that I have the correct headlights . I would like someone to PM me if you could give me someone at Tesla Service that can explain to my service center in So.Cal. the issue. I really would like to get a vin# same build and built around Sept 17 without premium package. I would be willing to get you a small gift card or something for the trouble if it works. Thanks, Patrick

Can anyone help me out? I have 9-17 standard MS and they are adamant that I have the correct headlights . I would like someone to PM me if you could give me someone at Tesla Service that can explain to my service center in So.Cal. the issue. I really would like to get a vin# same build and built around Sept 17 without premium package. I would be willing to get you a small gift card or something for the trouble if it works. Thanks, Patrick

Plano Service Center - 469-366-3436. Ask for Zepp Moore. He's the Service Supervisor. I have a 75D, September 2017 delivery, no PUP.

That is the exact symptoms mine had before they replaced the Body Controller module. It took several visits after the retrofit to diagnose correctly but they were patient and worked through the problem. Be advised that they are more subtle than a mechanical light physically moving so it's not as obvious that they are actually working. Especially when it's not very dark outside.

BodyController.JPG