TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Three slow chimes?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by MikeK, Jul 17, 2013.

1. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

Greetings.

This evening, I when I got in my car, it played three slow chimes, and at least one of the signal flashers also blinked. I've heard the three-chime thing before, but this is the first time I've been parked where I could also see the reflection from the flash.

I moved the car about half a block and got out again, and basically just as my butt left the seat, I got the same chimes and flash again.

When I got in one more time, I got them again, but not when I got out again without powering up the car.

There was no accompanying message on either of the displays, so I have no idea what this means.

Anybody?

Thanks.

2. jcadman22

jcadman22 MD: DRK NRG

I've heard the chimes and it's usually the car letting you know that it's changing the suspension height because of speed or a door open.

Alternatively, it could be a safety warning. Did you put the car in park before exiting? I've had my car go into park a few times while I'm backing up 'old school' style. That is, I'm looking backwards and raise my butt off the seat to see out the back. The car senses that there is no pressure on the driver's seat and thinks you hopped out without setting the parking brake (silly human).

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I think I recall someone diagnosing something like this before.

Theory:
    The location of your fob within your pocket is such that when you move around you are "pressing" the top of the fob and the car thinks you are trying to lock it. In response, it is chiming because locking when the doors are open is unsupported and it's letting you know that the locking request could not be satisfied.

4. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Solution: Buy a size larger pant size!

5. TurboFroggy

TurboFroggy Member

I get this same three chimes if I accidently touch the brake pedal when getting in or out before the door is shut.

6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I'm sure there's an explanation in the user manual....

7. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

Ahhh. It could be either of the possibilities mentioned above -- I may have pressed the brake while the door was open, or the fob might have been pressed against my house keys in my pocket. I will attempt to reproduce the chimes deliberately with these actions and see what happens.

In all cases, the screens were on, so it sure would have been better to display something on the screen as it does in all other error conditions I've seen.