Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three weeks and my biggest disapointment in the Model 3...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After all that we both loved everything else about the 3 so much we will be taking delivery of one as soon as we are able to configure with 18" wheels and putting Unplugged Performance mild version springs on plus I will change the tires to Michelin premier a/s in 245/45/18 as the are rated for 1764 lbs. ( this tire is only 0.3" taller overall ) I will be able to run the air pressure 3 lbs. less while maintaining the same weight rating so if 42 psi is acceptable for stock Ill run 39 psi, I believe this combo will result in a much improved ride while maintaining near stock ride height and looks

Would such "low" tire pressure trigger TPMS warnings constantly?

I think that for someone to say that it feels the same or even better then they are on a very nice smooth road, I drove in la, orange and san diego counties and when the road was smooth it was no problem, the crappy roads around la county really let you know a lot about a suspensions compliance (or lack there of)

I agree. I drove it on some smooth and also some pretty crappy snow/ice covered Canadian roads in January. i found the overall ride from a suspension standpoint fine.

Reactions: ThosEM
Finally drove one. Ride is really firm. However, the seats are super soft. So, since I don't drive around with a cup of water on my dash, the seats absorb much of the bounciness so I wasn't uncomfortable.

I've owned a BMW with sport package so the ride didn't seem weird to me. They benchmarked a 3 series, right? It rides like a BMW with a sport package.

Very pleased with the car. Didn't hear motor or wind noise. Very cool and very odd (especially when accelerating). I did hear minor drivetrain whine. Very light, but noticeable (if listening for it). Never heard that in a S before, but it's WAY worse on a Roadster.

Reactions: ThosEM
Finally drove one. Ride is really firm. However, the seats are super soft. So, since I don't drive around with a cup of water on my dash, the seats absorb much of the bounciness so I wasn't uncomfortable.

I've owned a BMW with sport package so the ride didn't seem weird to me. They benchmarked a 3 series, right? It rides like a BMW with a sport package.

Very pleased with the car. Didn't hear motor or wind noise. Very cool and very odd (especially when accelerating). I did hear minor drivetrain whine. Very light, but noticeable (if listening for it). Never heard that in a S before, but it's WAY worse on a Roadster.

Was the whine constant (like gear lash whine) or just on acceleration?

The ride on city roads is awful! Of course my Model S rides better. But so does my Nissan Leaf:

It feels like a pick-up truck on rough city roads.

Test drove a 3 with the moderate dual rate springs from Unplugged Performance, these are designed to provide a 15% lighter spring than stock in the first stage and a 15% heavier than stock in the second stage, they made the car ride noticeably better than the stock 3, also the car with the dual rate springs had the first gen dampers while the stock car had the newer dampers and springs.

I pre ordered the mild dual rate springs they have developed and they are designed with a 30% lighter load in the first stage and stock in the second stage and combined with the newer dampers they should provide the ideal daily driver.

Ride quality is a matter of taste and there is no accounting for taste. So Tesla opted to put the sport suspension in the first cars they sold. So what? You can put in springs you like better, if you find it important. A whole bunch of people, me included, were thus spared the need to put in stiffer springs. It’s a matter of guesswork to please the greatest number of people with the early release. Perhaps the base model will be provided with softer ones. You could have waited.

• Love
Reactions: Futuresystem
It seems quite possible to make a special version of the Model 3 that will cost just as much as a Model S. But is that a profitable pursuit for Tesla? I suppose there will be a "motorsport" version at some point. But wouldn't that be more likely to have coilovers than an air suspension?

Rented a Model 3 yesterday and it was definitely more coarse and had more road noise on my local roads and highways than my 2015 328i with sport package and my i3. Now that vehicle (i3) has the skinniest tires Ive seen and can bounce around quite a bit when it hits bumps in the road but it was definitely quieter and better behaved with the crappy Lawrence Expressway surface near my house and a lot of Hwy 280. This rental M3 was built before Dec 27th so I was luck enough to test within the same day a Model 3 built on Dec 28th. It was still very sporty but the road noise and bumpy feel was a buit better. Both had 19" sport wheels.

BTW, the Tesla employee that rented me the Model 3 told me today that they mellowed out the suspension slightly on all Model 3s after Dec 27th.

I am not looking for a soft ride, but I would appreciate one that handles poor roads a bit better than the 2 M3s I've driven in the last 24 hours.

Rented a Model 3 yesterday and it was definitely more coarse and had more road noise on my local roads and highways than my 2015 328i with sport package and my i3. Now that vehicle (i3) has the skinniest tires Ive seen and can bounce around quite a bit when it hits bumps in the road but it was definitely quieter and better behaved with the crappy Lawrence Expressway surface near my house and a lot of Hwy 280. This rental M3 was built before Dec 27th so I was luck enough to test within the same day a Model 3 built on Dec 28th. It was still very sporty but the road noise and bumpy feel was a buit better. Both had 19" sport wheels.

BTW, the Tesla employee that rented me the Model 3 told me today that they mellowed out the suspension slightly on all Model 3s after Dec 27th.

I am not looking for a soft ride, but I would appreciate one that handles poor roads a bit better than the 2 M3s I've driven in the last 24 hours.

The springs from unlimited performance could help based on some posts...or hold out for the air suspension. The latter MAY offer a more comfortable ride (TBD of course as it realy comes back to the dampers they pair with the air bladders).