Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three weeks and my biggest disapointment in the Model 3...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ride on city roads is awful! Of course my Model S rides better. But so does my Nissan Leaf:

It feels like a pick-up truck on rough city roads.
Agreed but to a greater degree. I had an S, a Leaf, and a Dodge 2500 diesel. All three ride better than the Model 3. The ride is my only disappointment. I am not one to do many mods to cars but there will be a huge after-market demand for softer riding springs. They are quite easy to replace and if anyone makes some, I'll buy them.

As I stated elsewhere, many people, after you consider way better ride and much better cargo carrying may be better of to spend a bit more and get a Model S 75.

Respectfully disagree. I'm in the construction business and have driven various trucks as my primary vehicle for years (1989 to 2014) before switching to a car (Model S) in 2014 and now to a Model 3. There is absolutely no way the ride is like a truck unless there's a problem.

Maybe your car is a bit stiff from being so new? ... I would give it a week or so, check the tire pressure as others noted, then see how you feel. Guessing things will be happier for you then! :)

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Brando and SteveG3
The ride on city roads is awful! Of course my Model S rides better. But so does my Nissan Leaf:

It feels like a pick-up truck on rough city roads.

Comparing a Leaf to a 3? What did you expect? A mushy commuter box that can only muster .76g load on a skidpad and has a 10.4 second 0-60 to a great handling sports sedan? (Yes. I’ve driven the 3 and on worse roads in Canada) There is always a trade off in ride vs. performance. The 3’s ride was on par with the Audi and BMW sports sedans I’ve driven. Pickup truck ride? Not a chance.

The meter scales are different. On the 3 you can see the entire needle on the right. On the Leaf you can only see the needle tip. This suggests the 3’s scale is magnified.

Last edited:
Hahahaha!

OP: My opinion is that the ride quality in my Model 3 is not as good as my Nissan Leaf. Here is some not-so-scientific data to support me.
03DSG: Road and Track says your opinion is wrong.

Me: "I like the taste of peanut butter."
Wife: "You're wrong."

Depending on which peanut butter, the wife might be right there. Some of it is just offensive.

Too bad you guys don't respect opinions that are different than yours or are not positive. You must be Fox News fans.

That is not a road noise meter. It detects movement of the X Y Z axes. When I have time I will upload the data if anyone is interested. There is no doubt the Model 3 is a better car than the Leaf. The test is just demonstrating the that the Model 3 does not deliver a comfortable ride on many city streets. If I drove in a suburb with nicely paved streets, a race track or test track. This wouldn't be an issue.

Too bad you guys don't respect opinions that are different than yours or are not positive. You must be Fox News fans.
Ooooooooooooooh, now that is hitting below the belt!
t0140.gif

I respect your opinion. My problem is I just wish I would receive my car so that I could form an opinion too.

That is not a road noise meter. It detects movement of the X Y Z axes. When I have time I will upload the data if anyone is interested. There is no doubt the Model 3 is a better car than the Leaf. The test is just demonstrating the that the Model 3 does not deliver a comfortable ride on many city streets. If I drove in a suburb with nicely paved streets, a race track or test track. This wouldn't be an issue.
Well if you really do not like the coils you could always just sell the car to someone who is anxious to get one now. I am sure you could cover the cost of what you spent on the car and then you could use the money to buy one with air suspension. Seems like that would be a better fit for you.