Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three weeks and my biggest disapointment in the Model 3...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My impression is that Tesla provides performance tuned suspensions, which inherently offer a rougher ride. It would be nice if they could offer two suspension variants, one for comfort, one for performance, but Tesla is trying to keep the number of combinations down, so I wouldn't expect that anytime soon. In the meantime, they tend to favor performance over comfort, so that's what we get. But I could be wrong about all of that, so feel free to disregard. :p

My advice to you, stop peeing in a glass and enjoy your car. What was the app you used to display the road noise?

I don't see that the OP asked for advice.

He was sharing his experience, which is what many of us come here to read.

I tire of, instead, finding people wade in with unsolicited, snarky, condescending lectures.

Sorry guys... the Model 3 _does_ have a stiff ride. It's actually quite bouncy at 60mph on the 405.
There's your problem. I had the same problem with my cushy riding Cadillac. Nobody goes 60 on the 405! You either go 5mph or 80mph depending on the time of day. My Caddy rode like a BMW when I went 60 on the 405.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

I tire of, instead, finding people wade in with unsolicited, snarky, condescending lectures.

fo·rum/ˈfôrəm/
noun

1. a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Did the OP say if he had 18s or 19s? I didn't catch that, but I've heard that can make a difference.

But anyway, I'm fully expecting a stiff ride with this thing. It's got a sporty suspension, and its not adjustable (as far as I know), so yeah It's going to feel the road more.

Did you even watch the video? It was meant as a joke but obviously some people just don't get it. If the post was offensive as you are insinuating, the post would be moved to snippy.

Did the OP say if he had 18s or 19s? I didn't catch that, but I've heard that can make a difference.
He answered in the YouTube comments that the 3 had 18" aeros.

He also said that the Leaf is a 2011 with original wheels. That means it has 16" wheels (newer Leafs can be had with 17" wheels). Also, Nissan made the Leaf suspension a bit stiffer starting in 2013. The early Leafs have a very floaty suspension.

Something I have noticed is wind noise above 50mph is very noticeable in the model 3. I was surprised because it's suppose to be more aerodynamic right?

Aerodynamics and wind noise are not directly related. If anything, being more aerodynamic means MORE wind noise at speed. A sleeker car will have the wind flowing closer to the body (and windows) versus a brick which will be spraying the air flow all over the place (such as away from the windows).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: landis and gavine
While I appreciate the effort the OP has put into testing this effect, I think his main mistake is that he compared a Model 3 to a Leaf in terms of ride quality. A BMW 3-series for example would have been a better comparison.
If my Model 3 (when it finally arrives some day) feels harsher than my current car, I would be amazed (and possibly slightly disappointed). Then again the Model 3 is surely more sporty than my current car as well.

Actually I just sold my BMW 335i to make room for the Model 3. That's one of the reason's it is so disappointing. I drive that road everyday.
The good news is, I sold it to a friend, so hopefully I can do that test soon!
I said on one of these forums that the Model 3 rides like truck on city roads. So I made a video to compare the ride:

Reactions: cwerdna