Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three Weeks with Signature Performance (Pros and Cons)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should have also added that there is a distortion at the bottom of the windshield AND that I can't get my SunPass to work in any position yet. Hoping one of the service guys has the answer. The distortion is no big deal unless you stare at it as it doesn't really affect your field of vision, but I really, really, do not want to mount an external transponder to the front of the car. As for the passenger door, I know the difference between a proper seal and one that is too tight - this one is too tight and maybe that's what's making it harder to close the door. All other windows/doors are perfect.

Sunpass (and my guard gate pass) work about half the time from the right side of the rear view mirror in the black area. I hold it not quite all the way to the top of the windshield, and that seems to work best. I just got my plate, HOV sticker, and 95 Express sticker, so now I won't need Sunpass nearly as much (I'll take pics tomorrow because they look horrible on the car:( ) It is the only place where you even have a chance of having them work. It's not a lot of fun when driving 75 mph on the Sawgrass or Turnpike and trying to hold the Sunpass in place.

on the b-pillar issue - it's probably only really an issue if you are tall or like to drive with the seat pushed back a bit - so unless I am really careful getting in, there is contact around my waist level over left rear pocket with the corner of the interior that sort of sticks out there in a sharp point. If you look, you'll see it.

I looked more carefully this evening after reading your post and see what you're talking about. I've been "lucky" because with my broken foot I've had to very deliberately and carefully get in and out of the car, so even though I'm fairly tall and have the seat back, this hasn't been an issue, but I could see once I'm fully healed how I could scrape along that part of the pillar if I rush in and out of the car.

- - - Updated - - -

This only impacts tall drivers who have the seat pushed back far enough to expose the b pillar. Pics are in this Seat Post Wear thread.

Got it, thanks. My advice to everyone who is over six feet tall is to just break your left foot. It's worked like a charm for me to avoid rubbing that part of the pillar as I get in and out! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Really ?!?!?! I have spent all my years teaching my friends and family NOT to slam my doors :(

It's what you get used to. When I had my Lexus the doors would shut if I got the slightest momentum going. My wife's Mercedes regularly require a very firm push to get them properly shut, very similar to Model S. My kids were always confused because they'd slam my Lexus doors and then baby my wife's doors. Now, both cars need about the same level of oomph to get them shut.

The weird thing about the Model S is that the front passenger door requires more oomph than the other three doors. When I asked about this, I was told it was intentional, which was my only point. It's not a mistake (apparently) that needs correcting. For whatever reason the seal on that for requires more firmness than the other three doors, although all three require some effort to get closed.

Is the "clear" area on the windshield that allows transponders visible? Like, is it a different color so you k ow where to mount the transponder?

It's actually part of the rearview mirror bracket, so it's a black slab on the right (passenger) side of the bracket holding the mirror to the windshield. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow. My assumption is that small section works for transponders because whatever stuff they put on the windshield that blocks signals they were able to skip that part because its got that plastic piece over it.

The weird thing about the Model S is that the front passenger door requires more oomph than the other three doors. When I asked about this, I was told it was intentional, which was my only point. It's not a mistake (apparently) that needs correcting. For whatever reason the seal on that for requires more firmness than the other three doors, although all three require some effort to get closed.

Yeah, that is weird. Sorry, I'm not buying that it's on purpose that one door out of four works differently. That just makes no sense. Why the difference? Front seat passengers are more likely to accidentally close it without meaning to, compared to the driver and the other two passengers? ;-)

AO, here's a picture of the black area where a transponder can theoretically work:

image.jpg

If it is affixed there, it makes sense to put it on the passenger's side, but its a pain in the neck (or arm) to place a transponder there temporarily, which those of us who live in gated communities and have an EZ or Sun pass need to do to toggle between the two transponders (some people could even have a third one for work). I estimate that at the top it's about 2.5 inches wide, though its probably about 1.5 inches at the bottom, so a normal sized transponder doesn't fit neatly on just the black part.

In Southeast Florida, we have HOV lanes on I-95 and express toll lanes as well. Hybrids and EVs are allowed in the HOV lanes during rush hour with the following sticker attached to the "lower right rear window". The color changes every year:

image.jpg

Hideous! I'm appalled, and I hardly ever use the HOV lanes. But, in order to get the "95 Express" sticker (which innocuously sits inside the lower front windshield) that allows toll-free driving on the express toll lanes, which I use a LOT, I have to have this ugly sticker. Tragic.

I am using my same license plate holder, which has the added benefit of being Elon's alma mater so it has some relevance to Tesla (we are the same age and were at Penn at the same time, though that's where our similarities end!). I may eventually get a Miami Heat license plate just because the colors would match so well (and I'm a huge fan).

Hideous! I'm appalled, and I hardly ever use the HOV lanes. But, in order to get the "95 Express" sticker (which innocuously sits inside the lower front windshield) that allows toll-free driving on the express toll lanes, which I use a LOT, I have to have this ugly sticker. Tragic.

I'd rather have your sticker on the rear window instead of the 3 ugly California HOV stickers on the rear bumper.

It's a good point, but really would it be so hard for these states to put a shred of design thought into these things?!
In Georgia, in order to take advantage of the HOV for my EV, I have to get a special license plate! The plate costs more "because you aren't paying gas taxes" (?!) and one can't personalize the EV plate. So, HOV access for more money or my awesome vanity plate? AGH!

By chance have you tried the "glue on" Sunpass?

No, because I have to hide my Sunpass every time I'm on the 95 Express (variable toll) lanes in Miami because I don't have to pay for them. So I need to be able to remove and hide my Sunpass so I don't pay when I'm on that road. I'm sure it would work, but I've got the other issue that then my transponder for my development probably would never work. Right now during the dry season I just open the sunroof, but during the rainy season I'm really not going to want to have to do that.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, recall that these need to be seen by cops, tollbooth operators, potentially automated cameras from a distance so they need to stick out to some degree.

I know -- of course that's true. It's just annoying. The stickers rotate colors from orange to green to bright red to blue. Not looking forward to any of those!