Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three Windshield Replacements in 6 months | Advice Appreciated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took some pics of the glass today. And not only is the side window glass made by Saint Gobain, but the windshield and rear roofglass are also by Saint Gobain Sekurit. The same as my BMW. I suppose there could be a bad batch of windshield glass, but we'd never know it since I doubt anyone else is taking pics of their glass.

Rear Roof:
TeslaWindshield.jpg

Driver Door:
TeslaDriverdoor.jpg

Windshield:
TeslaRearRoof.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Perscitus and Dr. J
Hi,
I got a small chip on the lower part, right side of my windshield. I paid a window company to fill the chip, 2 months later I got a 30 inches crack on my passenger side windshield.

After hearing all these stories, I won't replace my windshield until I get pulled over by a cop.Why get a new windshield, if its going to happen again because Tesla might have put an inferior, low quality windshield. We need to talk to the Tesla, so they begin to offer us a higher quality windshield. There is a serious problem and there is a solution.

My Bmw with 3124, 000 miles has 2 chips and they have not spread into a crack. Those chips have been there for years!!

Hi,
I got a small chip on the lower part, right side of my windshield. I paid a window company to fill the chip, 2 months later I got a 30 inches crack on my passenger side windshield.

After hearing all these stories, I won't replace my windshield until I get pulled over by a cop.Why get a new windshield, if its going to happen again because Tesla might have put an inferior, low quality windshield. We need to talk to the Tesla, so they begin to offer us a higher quality windshield. There is a serious problem and there is a solution.

My Bmw with 3124, 000 miles has 2 chips and they have not spread into a crack. Those chips have been there for years!!
My BMW, I picked up in Munich thru Eurodelivery, and drove it around for 2 weeks. 5th day, I was driving from Normandy past Paris and got a pebble on my windshield. The crack started to grow to about 12", so I had to stop at Versailles. Found a tiny BMW service center, and they told me that I should continue to drive it until my trip was over, and that they'd replace it at the VSC when it gets to the US. The insurance they include with your eurodelivery covered the replacement.

After that, I've driven 220,000 more miles, and haven't had another chip.

That's a real bummer. I'm surprised. How is this happening? Is it a problem in NY or are you just driving much too close to other cars at high speed? I guess I should not consider myself to be lucky. I have yet to get a chip during my 3 years of interstate driving. Now that I said it, I'm sure I will get one today. :rolleyes:

I'm not driving too differently than before. I generally keep a safe distance between cars and the NJ turnpike has separate lanes for cars and trucks (I never take the truck lane). Even with autopilot I generally use the 2-3 car distance.

I noticed that tapping my windshield (with knuckles) in different places doesn't make as solid of sound as it does on the other vehicles in the household (Acura, BMW). Not sure if that's just the type of glass or if there some sort of extra stress on my particular Model 3.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I'm not driving too differently than before. I generally keep a safe distance between cars and the NJ turnpike has separate lanes for cars and trucks (I never take the truck lane). Even with autopilot I generally use the 2-3 car distance.

I noticed that tapping my windshield (with knuckles) in different places doesn't make as solid of sound as it does on the other vehicles in the household (Acura, BMW). Not sure if that's just the type of glass or if there some sort of extra stress on my particular Model 3.

Follow Distance of 2-3 !!!

I keep mine on 7. I set it to Max on every car.

Hopefully not, dont jinx it!

Is your windshield prestine? You should at the very least have a fair count of nicks and the typical diamond sparkle glitter effect when driving directly into a raising or setting sun.
yes, it is actually very clean of any nicks. Probably helps that I don't drive faster than the interstate speed limit like everyone passing me at 90 mph, and I don't tail gate. The wife..... that is a different story. On similar routes we have had to fix several nicks on her car. She does drive close and fast and get rocks kicked up from the car in front. While I am sure this isn't the only reason, I do think it helps to not drive so close to other cars.

• Informative
Reactions: Perscitus

good info. About that 2-3 car distance quote. I don't base distance that way when I drive. I base it on time to reach the same point as the car in front. At 80 mph on interstate up here (the legal speed limit), if I am not at least 2 seconds behind the car in front, then I am likely to get little rocks kicked up from the car in front. It's at least 5 car lengths.

good info. About that 2-3 car distance quote. I don't base distance that way when I drive. I base it on time to reach the same point as the car in front. At 80 mph on interstate up here (the legal speed limit), if I am not at least 2 seconds behind the car in front, then I am likely to get little rocks kicked up from the car in front. It's at least 5 car lengths.
Maybe I'm confused, but I thought the car distance increments were time gaps and not car length gaps. So, a car distance setting of 2-3 means actually a gap of 1 sec to 1.5sec, no? Each unit is half a second. And a car distance setting of 7 means a time gap of 3.5 secs? Did I pick up that notion from somewhere, wrong?

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Maybe I'm confused, but I thought the car distance increments were time gaps and not car length gaps. So, a car distance setting of 2-3 means actually a gap of 1 sec to 1.5sec, no? Each unit is half a second. And a car distance setting of 7 means a time gap of 3.5 secs? Did I pick up that notion from somewhere, wrong?
Oh I see what you mean. I was not talking about the stalk setting on the car. I was referring to my timing. Example, I see a car pass over a center line mark and then count roughly 2 seconds to give me an idea that I am back far enough to reduce the likelihood of rock hits on the car. I don't really understand the setting of the stalk numbers. And come to think of it, I have no nicks on my front or hood either. This is after 3 years and 35K miles of mostly interstate driving. Yes, many factors and surely also depends on where people drive. I sure notice a big difference in various state. Just saying it has probably helped me a bit by staying farther back on the interstate.

Reactions: KenC
Is there anything other than windshield film that can be applied to at least protect it somewhat, so that when it's hit it's just a small chip or bullseye instead of an instant crack? Like some sort of ceramic coating to be applied to the glass.

Other than that I think one thing we can do is to carry a windshield chip repair kit in the car, when it's hit immediately find an exit, pull into a safe parking space, and apply the kit. Maybe that's a bit extreme....

hi,
Who can I contact at Tesla to talk about the windshield issue? Any ideas? What about the department of transportation, can they help?

Is the windshield going to help keep me safe, in case of an accident?
Hello,
I also have a long crack in my windshield at the bottom end and don't know how it happened. We had below freezing temperatures in NY last couple of weeks and I don't know if it happened while defrosting/cabin heating. I emailed the local service center a week ago and haven't got any reply. Still wondering who else I should write to about this.

Hello,
I also have a long crack in my windshield at the bottom end and don't know how it happened. We had below freezing temperatures in NY last couple of weeks and I don't know if it happened while defrosting/cabin heating. I emailed the local service center a week ago and haven't got any reply. Still wondering who else I should write to about this.
Check the outside of the crack, very carefully, for an impact. If there is, then you'll have no luck with trying to say it's anything other than an impact crack. Anecdotally, it seems some people have had warranty replacement for stress fractures on top and rear glass, seeing as impacts are far less likely in those areas. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Someone dropped their bike off their roof rack onto the roof glass cracking it, that sort of thing.

• Helpful
Reactions: CheapBastid