Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Throttled supercharger speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is absolutely no way they are going to relax that charge speed limiter for the older cars that are now experiencing it. This is because, presumably, it is a safety issue with the risk of fire if charging speeds are too high. Tesla has not admitted to anything, to my knowledge, but if it is a safety issue, which I suspect, there is no way they’re going to relax it. The only solution, unfortunately , is to buy a new Tesla...or an ICE car.

Reactions: InternetDude
My 2015 S has the throttling. The only change I have noticed is that it tapers more quickly. When the battery is low and warm, it will start charging at 115-120 kW just like before. However, after the battery charge level gets up over 100 miles, it will taper down to about 75 kW then slowly taper to about 50 kW to finish the charge. This does mean that Supercharging takes longer but it hasn't been a problem except on one route that I take periodically where I need to charge to over 200 miles to make it over Donner Summit. This takes an extra 10-15 minutes.
It really helps to keep the battery at a low state of charge for faster Supercharging.
While I would like to have less tapering, I do understand that this is for safety and battery life so I can live with it.

My latest Visit to supercharger I realized I’ve been a victim. I have FUSC too and I read we may have it worse. Try 50% SOC and 40kW

I don’t get the safety and battery life argument. My previous S had 100k miles before all this non sense was happening.

they should only target users that SC charge a lot

There is absolutely no way they are going to relax that charge speed limiter for the older cars that are now experiencing it. This is because, presumably, it is a safety issue with the risk of fire if charging speeds are too high. Tesla has not admitted to anything, to my knowledge, but if it is a safety issue, which I suspect, there is no way they’re going to relax it. The only solution, unfortunately , is to buy a new Tesla...or an ICE car.
That's the thing, my car isn't older lol I've just supercharged to often since I work a few blocks away from a v2 charger. I went from my max of 167kw to 90kw. I'm being punished since I've supercharged more than 11000kw

The ironic thing is Tesla indicates a it’s older pack issues. But, if you have a pack replaced the charge rate is still capped. Seems bogus to me

No that is what tesla of wexford pa told me. They said I've reached my 11000kw limit and from here on out I'm limited to 90kw max charge. I had more questions so i consulted tesla support and it was then escalated to the advanced engineering support and they confirmed it
Never heard of that.
90 kW is a good rate. With throttling I only get a few minutes above that.

No that is what tesla of wexford pa told me. They said I've reached my 11000kw limit and from here on out I'm limited to 90kw max charge. I had more questions so i consulted tesla support and it was then escalated to the advanced engineering support and they confirmed it
I have over 14,000 kWh supercharging on my P85+ and I still get over 100kw below 15% SOC. My 20%-80% takes 50 minutes, was 43 minutes when new.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: outdoors and mspohr
fwhistory.jpg
> Just wondering if anyone has successfully gotten tesla to remove the supercharging speed limiter?
no, but found someone who did a fw downgrade to 2019.12.1.1

Last edited:
I have over 14,000 kWh supercharging on my P85+ and I still get over 100kw below 15% SOC. My 20%-80% takes 50 minutes, was 43 minutes when new.
I have to investigate more because I'm assuming the different packs have different restrictions. For my pack once I hit 9000k sc kwh I was limited to 130kw then at 11000kwh it was dropped to 90kw. What once took 45mins to go from 10% to 90% now takes nearly 90 mins.
I saw a YouTube video of another owner that shows the throttled charging speeds aren't as fast as the car shows. I'm not sure what the outcome was for him but it was very clear that the car is indicating a much faster charge than the rate it was really charging at.