Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Throttled supercharger speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
85 d here. Have seen 110+ kW once for less than a minute recently. Usually no more than 60W quickly ratchets down to 45, 35 kW. Even in cold weather this didn’t use to be the case. The way I see it, if they want to play this takeback game, they need to give owners an option: with your degraded charge rate, choose to have your battery warranty extended further, or uncap the charge rate and keep the current 8 year unlimited mile battery/drivetrain warranty. In reality, if the charge rate takes 2x as long as what was advertised for the car, this should already trigger the warranty action.

Brought my car in for service. Hoping they can install the latest FW to fix some nuances and quirks. Also, experience very long start ups and black screens when first getting in car.

I just got
“Oh slow supercharging is probably cause of cold weather” LOL. Yes but should be this way when battery is plenty warm and low.

hey, does anyone battery cooling fans kick on anymore during supercharging? I cited that too but service tech just shrugged his shoulder haha

Brought my car in for service. Hoping they can install the latest FW to fix some nuances and quirks. Also, experience very long start ups and black screens when first getting in car.

I just got
“Oh slow supercharging is probably cause of cold weather” LOL. Yes but should be this way when battery is plenty warm and low.

hey, does anyone battery cooling fans kick on anymore during supercharging? I cited that too but service tech just shrugged his shoulder haha
Mine doesn't kick in since they throttled my speeds. I've been calling them daily to see if the updates were available for my car yet and they keep saying no.

So I just got the notification my car is ready.
My car is MCU1 and still on 2020.48.12.

They didn't even check or push 2020.48.30... not sure why. I asked via the msg if they checked the FW. Waiting for reply.

In regards to Supercharging diagnosis "performning normal"

i wouldn't call it throttled since i hit 120 when i'm low, but the damn angle in which it drops is my annoyance. I used to be at 72kW at 50%, now i hit 72kW around like 38% so they have changed the *sugar* out of the curve and it takes forever to charge, i have to add 50% time to whatever the car says, (it says 20 min its actually 30).
My graph is SC speeds since aug 2019, i take the stats at beginning, (when it equalizes for 5 or more seconds at one speed) and right before i unplug.

Dec 2014 P85D 107k miles, 17,900 kWh of Supercharger, and 20,700 kWh AC charge as of 26 Jan 2021.

graph.jpg

So I just got the notification my car is ready.
My car is MCU1 and still on 2020.48.12.

They didn't even check or push 2020.48.30... not sure why. I asked via the msg if they checked the FW. Waiting for reply.

In regards to Supercharging diagnosis "performning normal"
They are you going to hit you with their standard "Software updates are released to vehicles based on their VINs and their regions. They are not released all at once to ensure that our fleet vehicles can successfully install and implement these updates. You will be getting an update in the near future"
I've gotten this from 4 different reps over the last two weeks

that should be stored on your EMMC chip ( leading 4 digits of a certain filename I believe), so you would need to read the directory of the file system of the EMMC chip board with an appropriate interface ,e.g. a spare MCU connected via Fakra cable to your laptop
Fakra=Fachkreis Automobil = Expert Circle Automobile : German invention of Ethernet Cable for Automotive proprietary crap

Last edited:
So I finally received an update that did increase my sc speeds. I am convinced tesla is trying to fool us though. I am attaching photos of my car charging prior to and after the update. With the new update my new max seems to be around 132kw but the mi/hr is off. You'll see at the same kw speeds the mi/hr are not even close. I feel as though they have us the illusion of our cars charging faster than they really are. The photo with 72kw 254mi/hr is from today on software 2020.48.37 the other is from 2020.48.12 or the one just before it. I aware that one is shown in energy and the other is rated but that shouldn't make a difference right?

Attachments

• 20210215_184115.jpg
    20210215_184115.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 20210104_201137.jpg
    20210104_201137.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 89
With the new update my new max seems to be around 132kw but the mi/hr is off. You'll see at the same kw speeds the mi/hr are not even close. I feel as though they have us the illusion of our cars charging faster than they really are. The photo with 72kw 254mi/hr is from today on software 2020.48.37 the other is from 2020.48.12 or the one just before it. I aware that one is shown in energy and the other is rated but that shouldn't make a difference right?
I'm not really confident this actually what happened, but it seems in a related area, so maybe. Tesla has sometimes accidentally undone changes in a later update that were fixed or changed in a previous one. For a very long time, the kW versus the mi/hr were not the same type of measurement. The kW was always an instantaneous rate, showing what the power was right then in that second. The mi/hr display was an average over the entire charging session. So you used to have some weird mismatching like that, where the slow ramp up during the first minute or two would make the mi/hr look slow for a while, while the instantaneous was high, etc. Or the car was far into tapering down in a Supercharger session, so kW was low, but the average still looked high. No clue why they used to do that, and it confused a lot of people.

Now supposedly they synced those up about a year(?) ago, so they were both instantaneous measurements, but I wonder if some kind of code rollback intended to address something else accidentally set that portion back to the old method.

Reactions: GHammer
i wouldn't call it throttled since i hit 120 when i'm low, but the damn angle in which it drops is my annoyance. I used to be at 72kW at 50%, now i hit 72kW around like 38% so they have changed the *sugar* out of the curve and it takes forever to charge, i have to add 50% time to whatever the car says, (it says 20 min its actually 30).
My graph is SC speeds since aug 2019, i take the stats at beginning, (when it equalizes for 5 or more seconds at one speed) and right before i unplug.

Dec 2014 P85D 107k miles, 17,900 kWh of Supercharger, and 20,700 kWh AC charge as of 26 Jan 2021.

View attachment 632054

So I have the same, built Dec 2014 P85D, with seemingly the exact same nerfed charging curve, and 108k miles. But 40k kw AC, 20k Regen, and only 3k DC, really low fast charging usage, so I have hit 125kw also when really low, for a minute.

So it seems they let the P85Ds keep some upper limits, even though they're the same 85kw packs, whereas other 85s, 90s, etc. got reduced upper limits, especially with higher DC usage, but similar nerfed charging curves, regardless of DC usage.

With the new 2020.48.37 (MCU1), will be interesting to see if the curve has changed at all. Will run the battery down, make sure heat is up in the cells, and see how it goes.

Last edited:
So I finally received an update that did increase my sc speeds. I am convinced tesla is trying to fool us though. I am attaching photos of my car charging prior to and after the update. With the new update my new max seems to be around 132kw but the mi/hr is off. You'll see at the same kw speeds the mi/hr are not even close. I feel as though they have us the illusion of our cars charging faster than they really are. The photo with 72kw 254mi/hr is from today on software 2020.48.37 the other is from 2020.48.12 or the one just before it. I aware that one is shown in energy and the other is rated but that shouldn't make a difference right?

Could the difference potentially be explained by battery heater and cabin heater power usage? That 72kW is power entering the charge port, not power going into the battery whereas the mi/hr is power going into the battery.

Just figured I'd ask this new 90kw limit is a buzz kill. It took 73 minutes to charge to 84 percent. It may be time to sell for me.

Model/Year/Battery? I have a 2016 90D. 142500 miles and probably 80% supercharged. If I had known then what I know now...
Pretty sure at one time my charging ramped up to about 120kW Somewhere along the line I started reading about reduced charging speeds and wrote it off to unfamiliarity on someone's part about state of charge, temperature, etc ( could have been me;)). But as I paid more action I realized that no matter what my initial state of charge or battery temp the car never ramped above 90kW. Someone recently pointed out a bump so today I supercharged after replacing MCU1 with MCU2 and a software update (48.35.5) through the service center.
Initial state of charge today: 40%, outside are 88, and battery fully warmed up after a 20mile + plus drive for errands. Surprisingly, the car immediately ramped up to 115kW. I will continue to monitor.

To your point about charging to 84%. Even at 90kW cap on my car it never took that long that I remember. But I also don't charge that high on road trips unless absolutely necessary (and there are few places anymore that I require that much charge).

I have a new battery pack. Mine is still throttled back. I start at around 100kw, quickly goesxway down. Today I hit a new charger station, only had 30 miles left. Guess what, it started at 33kw, stayed there for 2 hours. Alone, not sharing.

I'm confused. You joined in 2017 and you have a ton of posts. This situation has happened to me on occasion. Did you not consider trying another spot? It was most likely just that pedestal. Maybe I'm just too impatient buy I would never accept 33kW without moving to a different pedestal (number). Try it if it happens again.:)

I had been limited to no more than 108 kwh charging for some time, with a rate of around 60 kwh once over 50% and dropping fast. I have over 15,000 kwh of DC charging since most of my usage is traveling. On 12/26/2020 I updated to 2020.48.26 software and immediately noticed 155 kwh charging again as well as higher rates above 50% than I have seen in a while. I didn't know if this was a fluke or not, but I continued on my trip from MA to FL a few days later and noticed high speed charging along the way. Still receiving this today. Hopefully Tesla has revisited the charging rate limitations or the effects to the batteries and this stays the same. I don't know if I should reject future updates until I find out if others have had this experience, and to make sure future updates don't restrict it again.

Has anyone else with limited supercharging noticed this?

Yes. I have north of 32000kWh of DC fast. 2016 90D. Max had dropped from 120kW to 90kw and stayed that way the last few years until recently. Update 48.12.1 or 48.35.5 appears to have changed that (I did not receive 48.26). I just saw 115kw but have only supercharged once since I heard rumors of faster charging due to some update.