Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Throttled supercharger speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No that is what tesla of wexford pa told me. They said I've reached my 11000kw limit and from here on out I'm limited to 90kw max charge. I had more questions so i consulted tesla support and it was then escalated to the advanced engineering support and they confirmed it

I have 27000kw+ Supercharging on my 100 pack “E” and Max I get is 108 and my taper starts at around 50%soc where it goes below 100 max speed .. so not sure Tesla telling u correct story ;)

I had been limited to no more than 108 kwh charging for some time, with a rate of around 60 kwh once over 50% and dropping fast. I have over 15,000 kwh of DC charging since most of my usage is traveling. On 12/26/2020 I updated to 2020.48.26 software and immediately noticed 155 kwh charging again as well as higher rates above 50% than I have seen in a while. I didn't know if this was a fluke or not, but I continued on my trip from MA to FL a few days later and noticed high speed charging along the way. Still receiving this today. Hopefully Tesla has revisited the charging rate limitations or the effects to the batteries and this stays the same. I don't know if I should reject future updates until I find out if others have had this experience, and to make sure future updates don't restrict it again.

Has anyone else with limited supercharging noticed this?

I had been limited to no more than 108 kwh charging for some time, with a rate of around 60 kwh once over 50% and dropping fast. I have over 15,000 kwh of DC charging since most of my usage is traveling. On 12/26/2020 I updated to 2020.48.26 software and immediately noticed 155 kwh charging again as well as higher rates above 50% than I have seen in a while. I didn't know if this was a fluke or not, but I continued on my trip from MA to FL a few days later and noticed high speed charging along the way. Still receiving this today. Hopefully Tesla has revisited the charging rate limitations or the effects to the batteries and this stays the same. I don't know if I should reject future updates until I find out if others have had this experience, and to make sure future updates don't restrict it again.

I have seen reports of this from others but it only applies to 100kWh packs. 85's and 90's are still throttled.

And just like that Tesla is now offering 2020.48.30. Must be something they don't like in 2020.48.26.

Are you going to update? :D

Here’s another session I did at a V3 I am back to pre throttle speeds maxing around 164kw for brief period of time overall charge session also is inline from what is was before
BF9258AB-2883-4B04-A03D-2AD00751BECF.png

There is absolutely no way they are going to relax that charge speed limiter for the older cars that are now experiencing it. This is because, presumably, it is a safety issue with the risk of fire if charging speeds are too high. Tesla has not admitted to anything, to my knowledge, but if it is a safety issue, which I suspect, there is no way they’re going to relax it. The only solution, unfortunately , is to buy a new Tesla...or an ICE car.
well, I have a jan 2020 MS LR+ and I have that same problem.....takes 1hr 35 in to supercharge from 20% to 90% when at a 150kW charger

well, I have a jan 2020 MS LR+ and I have that same problem.....takes 1hr 35 in to supercharge from 20% to 90% when at a 150kW charger

Interesting ...my March 2019 Build 100D will consistently charge from 10% to 70% in about 40 min. I would willing to bet you would See much faster charging time if you tried going from 10% to 80% instead of 20% to 90%. Try it next time and let us know.

Reactions: Ciaopec