Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Throttled supercharger speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just about to buy an S75 dec 2016

Does anyone know if these packs are subject to the throttling??[/QUOTE

I posted this in the throttling thread but am putting It here too since it should be the same for the vehicle you’re considering:

I finally received the 2020.48.37 update in my 2016 S-75 and supercharged for the first time this morning starting with a warm battery and 18% left. Before throttling, the peak charge was in the 97kW range, and after throttling, it would very briefly touch 82kW just below 50%. Today the car reached a peak charge rate of 108kW, so that’s quite a bit higher than when it was new. It tapered to the former max of 82kW at just before 50% and seemed to taper from there at the same rate as it had before the update. This is a significant improvement that will make long distance traveling much easier especially as more superchargers come online and the “splash and dash” method in the low end of the range can be used. As a heavy supercharger user, I’m very excited with this update.

Reactions: TSLC and Jacko996
How did you find out how many kWh you’ve received? I’d like to know.
My supercharging keeps getting throttled lower and lower, starts at about 45kw and goes to about 15. Really Tesla, 1.5C to 4C???? Clearly a free supercharging slap in our face.

The funny thing is that when supercharging was fast, for those charging while dining or shopping locally it would charge to quickly with idles fees and with a fear of damaging batteries. By making it take an hour + to charge, it’s perfect for dining/shopping, and guilt free for fear of losing range.

So Tesla just screwed over all their travelers with SC congestion just to try and punish free chargers who used to have to limit themselves. Well thought out Tesla.

How did you find out how many kWh you’ve received? I’d like to know.
My supercharging keeps getting throttled lower and lower, starts at about 45kw and goes to about 15. Really Tesla, 1.5C to 4C???? Clearly a free supercharging slap in our face.
@marcad80 If you are asking me if I know how many kWh I have received it is just an estimate. I took the lifetime kWh used and estimated how much was DC fast charging vs all other charging . An educated WAG.

Interesting development...

"Tesla owner David Rasmussen was among the ones affected, and he got one of the most severe drops we have seen. At the time, he told Electrek:
My 2014 Model S 85 was getting a Rated Range of 247 miles until May 13. Now after the next update, it continued to drop to now 217 miles. This is an 11% drop in 5 weeks. On top of the range loss, the DC fast-charging rate at Supercharger stations has also been reduced. Affected owners are seeing much slower charging sessions. Rasmussen has been plotting the battery capacity degradation of his Model S over the last 100,000 miles or so, and the drop is quite obvious:"

Tesla-Range-Drop.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
  • Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike and ucmndd
Incorrect... Tesla agrees to pay owners $625 each over battery throttling after class-action lawsuit

"On top of the range loss, the DC fast-charging rate at Supercharger stations has also been reduced.
Affected owners are seeing much slower charging sessions."
I know this is going to be hard to believe, but just because Electrek says something doesn’t mean it’s true, or that you’re interpreting it correctly. The settlement doesn’t cover or address reduced supercharging speeds in any way.

Here is a post from the lead plaintiff explaining why.

Any chance you have a link to the right thread? The one I just read pretty much only talked about battery voltages being reduced not much on the supercharging front.

It is buried somewhere in this thread. You can also search the forum for “chargegate” tags.