TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Throw the Ez-Tag transponder in the glove box

Discussion in 'Texas' started by JasJ, Apr 30, 2017.

1. JasJ

JasJ Member

I went into the Houston EZ-Tag store to get a tag to put on the windshield next to the rear view mirror and the lady at the counter insisted that I take the larger 'plate' transponder and put it in my glovebox.

EZ-Tag.jpg

Anyone else in the Houston area doing this and does it work? I don't really want to place on the license plate, but have no problem with a glovebox location.

Thoughts?

2. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

Not sure if it's the same, but in CA you just register your tag and then tag the transponder and "throw it in the glovebox" because the cameras will get your tag each time.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  3. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

i out mine on the plates, they have a locking screw, and it really doesnt bother me too much since I already have the front plate mounted.

• Helpful x 1
  4. kort677

kort677 Active Member

just be aware that every one of these toll collection units and systems can work differently.
    here in FLA as long as the car is registered with the tag account the photo system should work. The EZ PASS system in the north east does not work this way.

5. BrettS

BrettS Member

In florida we don't have front plates, but they sent me a tag like that for my Model S. If you have a pre-facelift car you can take the nose cone off and just zip tie it to the metal bracket behind the nose cone. That's what I did with mine and what the previous owner did with his.

6. AndrewTX

AndrewTX Member

When I registered by MS with the toll road authority they tried to give me one of those transponders but I declined. I use the normal tag just to the right of the rear view mirror mount and it seems to work fine.

7. JMG

JMG Member

I still have no such tag anywhere on my car and they just match up the license plate for me. I keep the tag in the car in case I need to use it at the DFW airport.

8. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

So are they saying this transponder actually WORKS in the glove box? That's what t sounds like -- why would they give you a plate transponder if they are just relying on plate recognition like others here seem to be assuming? The regular one would fit in the glove box better...

9. sgmorton

sgmorton Member

The EzTag store locations all have a tester in their parking lot. I think I'd test it before I just threw it in the glove box and forgot about it. I know there are some places (Not HCTRA) that charge more for plate reads than eztag reads. Also with the way the windshields are on Teslas I would bet it blocks transponders in the glove box. I know placement on a MS is sensitive. Mine is in the upper cornet on the passenger side.

10. larmor

larmor Active Member

Using fastrak in CA, i wasn't keen on putting the transponder on the MX windshield... So kept it in the driver's door pocket. Beeps pretty reliably and gets picked up....

11. RDoc

RDoc S85D

In MA you can use pay by plate but it costs between $.5 and $2 more than the transponder.

12. David99

David99 Active Member

In CA the law specifically says you need to have your transponder mounted on the windshield. Only exceptions are license plate mounted transponders.

13. JasJ

JasJ Member

Wish I had known that.. what does the tester look like?

As I have temp plates, I'll test tomorrow when I drive down a tag only road
    I'll look online to see if the transponder is picked up. ;)

14. sgmorton

sgmorton Member

There is a reader on pole at the one on the southeast BW8 location but I think they all have them. It's just a lane you drive down and the light lets you know it worked.

15. AndrewTX

AndrewTX Member

There's always one in the parking lot somewhere. Ask one of the employees if you don't see signs. I tested a couple of different windshield locations on my MS before I left.

• Informative x 1
  16. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

Maybe.. but I've been using Bay Area FasTrack for a year with my plate "mountable" transponder mounted under the nosecone and each time it only picks up the license plate number. They charge just the same and have never indicated that this is a problem.

• Like x 1
  17. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

In Central TX, as long as you have the account and transponder they will match the plate and the transponder rate applies. Even if the transponder is broken (or missing).

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  18. David99

David99 Active Member

A little OT but I noticed my transponder beeping when I drive into LAX airport. There is no toll and you don't need a transponder to drive there, but they use the device to track when you enter and leave the area. Big brother is watching you.

19. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

This.
    I tried inside the nose cone, and since that didn't read satisfactorily (in their "Test Your Tag" lane in the parking lot), I had Tesla Service move it to the front plate.
    i.e. Do The Obvious Thing :)

20. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

Some of us are still part of the "Front Plate Resistance" ;)

nfp.jpg

• Like x 2